Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Thankyou for that. I think we should all bear in mind that given the right circumstances, homelessness could happen to anyone, including ourselves. Some people just don't seem able to conceive of that.

The safety nets are being stripped away. Most of us won't need them, which is just as well, because they won't be there if we do.

To be honest, AnnaB, until this happened I admit that I would never have conceived how easily such a situation could come about. It doesn't happen to us, does it? Well, I learned a valuable lesson in that it so easily could.

I'm so glad the Star hasnt published pictures. Helen Philips Jackson from the Spice Clinic has said that these poor individuals are very vulnerable and taking pictures of them doesnt help. Awe bless.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/calling-spice-users-zombies-won-t-help-solve-problem-say-sheffield-drug-workers-1-9302074

What I can't understand about this Spice drug or whatever ever alternative name it goes by is, wasn't it classed as a legal high up until.2016 yet I don't recall seeing anyone, beggars, street drinkers or ordinary folk, standing about motionless in the city centre or the suburbs, high on it?

What I can't understand about this Spice drug or whatever ever alternative name it goes by is, wasn't it classed as a legal high up until.2016 yet I don't recall seeing anyone, beggars, street drinkers or ordinary folk, standing about motionless in the city centre or the suburbs, high on it?

Because they wernt taking it. As it was legal the drug dealers wernt selling it. As soon as it became illegal the dealers started selling it to people. It had no controls over quality or restrictions on strength and they made stronger versions. This is what they are selling. And the beggars know its a cheap quick fix better and stronger than Special brew so are "tapping" I think is the term.

Ironic if that's correct. Criminalising it has actually caused a surge in it's usage.

Ironic if that's correct. Criminalising it has actually caused a surge in it's usage.

And a surge in strength and less quality control........

One related question that I have been mulling over is in relation to money. More and more I'm finding that I dont carry cash with me. I'm sure more people will be the same. Will this eventually lead to the problem of begging coming to a head and being solved finally?

One related question that I have been mulling over is in relation to money. More and more I'm finding that I dont carry cash with me. I'm sure more people will be the same. Will this eventually lead to the problem of begging coming to a head and being solved finally?

No because we will have a cashless society where everyone can pay by contactless, even those giving to big issue sellers and beggars.

Guest makapaka

It’s odd that you think a cashless society is the solution to people begging for money on the streets.

Do you not think there might be a more deeper solution to the problem than just the ability to make a financial transaction?

I moved towards a cashless society as far as these people are concerned a long time ago. Not that they'll do any better out of me when they're equipped with contactless technology.

From what I remember, the chemicals used a few years ago actually were outlawed. The effects they had weren't particularly healthy, but they weren't making people comatose in the streets. When this happened, the manufacturers had to resort to other chemicals with lesser known effects. What will also happen is the plants that this stuff gets sprayed with will then get a coating of RAID (the pest killer).

Lovely stuff.

Nope, contactless giving is already here

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/feb/27/card-cashless-society-homeless-contactless-payments-britain