Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

We have just returned after a visit to Bath to see our granddaughter and great grandkids!.There the centre of Bath is full of beggars street drinkers of all types nothing seems to be done about them it is really depressing to see!,some you can tell are not genuine and organised but some are at the last chance saloon lying in their own urine in back alleys!.It seems its a countrywide problem how it will be fixed god only knows so its not only Sheffield has them every city does,it must be tackled but how I don,t know!.

I think the situation is much worse in the south. I have no evidence for this, but when I went down there I have never seen so many people sleeping rough - it might be higher house prices, or more Tory councils - not sure really, but it's not good.

Why is it a choice of either "welcoming into our homes" or helping a fellow human being out?

Seriously there's summat wrong with people that refuse to spare change & want to ban charity.

Why is it a choice of either "welcoming into our homes" or helping a fellow human being out?

Seriously there's summat wrong with people that refuse to spare change & want to ban charity.

I think we are generally becoming a much harder, more intolerant and less kind society than we once were, and we are all much the poorer for it.

It makes me very sad...

I think we are generally becoming a much harder, more intolerant and less kind society than we once were, and we are all much the poorer for it.

It makes me very sad...

I assume the best in people. It must be very sad life to always assume the worst to the point you harden so much & step over the homeless.

It is sad. But unfortunately there are a lot of people that abuse kindness. The begging/rough sleeping problems simply cannot be solved by handing out cash on the street or even opening up your house to the homeless. Handing out spare change to beggars is making issues with addiction worse.

It is sad. But unfortunately there are a lot of people that abuse kindness. The begging/rough sleeping problems simply cannot be solved by handing out cash on the street or even opening up your house to the homeless. Handing out spare change to beggars is making issues with addiction worse.

That's a justification for actions if ever i did hear one.

You've fundamentally misunderstood the behaviour of cannabis here.

It's detectable for several months, but the psychoactive compounds are not present and you are not in any way under its influence.

This simply isn't true is it.

You can take a photo of anyone on the street and you have the rights to that photo, not them.

Yes, it absolutely is, there is no expectation of privacy in public.

Regarding the public privacy it can in cases be trumped by Harassment law, if someone persistently photographs an individual it can be classed as harassment candid moments are ok, but stalking someone down the street can be classed as harassment, especially if that subject is the main or sole subject in an image.

Support charities who help homeless people. That ensures resources go to genuine homeless people rather than professional beggars. Offer food, hot drinks, other practical items to rough sleepers, just not cash.

This has been explained numerous times, and is the advice handed down by all the agencies and charities who help rough sleepers and other homeless people.

What ms Macbeth said.

Support charities who help homeless people. That ensures resources go to genuine homeless people rather than professional beggars. Offer food, hot drinks, other practical items to rough sleepers, just not cash.

This has been explained numerous times, and is the advice handed down by all the agencies and charities who help rough sleepers and other homeless people.

In my experience (over 25 years working for homeless charities), many agencies mirror the advice given by Shelter Scotland;

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/guides/homelessness/helping_someone_on_the_streets

"It is a personal choice if you want to give money to someone who is begging, but bear in mind that not all people who beg are homeless and not all homeless people beg."

Regarding the public privacy it can in cases be trumped by Harassment law, if someone persistently photographs an individual it can be classed as harassment candid moments are ok, but stalking someone down the street can be classed as harassment, especially if that subject is the main or sole subject in an image.

I really dont know why we are still debating privacy of these individuals. They really dont go out of their way to avoid the limelight they often congregate in the city centre in a zombie like state. I think a few people taking pictures of them in an attempt to try to resolve this serious issue is the last of their and our worries. Yes it may be illegal but what would you rather us do not photograph it? Bury the problem under the carpet which is what the Council seem to be doing.