Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Just the five requests for money today!

Got asked for "£2 for a room for the night"- then saw a woman kindly try to explain what this individual could do if he's rough sleeping. She got a load of abuse, and other passers by became involved.

I think the city has probably had enough of it now- sympathy is at rock bottom. And that's thr sad thing- I now refuse to even acknowledge requests for monwy as I don't want to engage and get abuse, which ends up making you feel like you're becomin something you don't want to be- i.e. the sort of peraon that doesn't even look at someone as they speak to you.

Hopefully though, as people become more and more jaded and frustrated by the state of the city centre they will stop giving and things may change.....

Hopefully though, as people become more and more jaded and frustrated by the state of the city centre they will stop giving and things may change.....

Sadly I wouldn't hold your breath. There's far too many misguided softies who are obviously so well off that they're happy to contribute to maintaining the lifestyle of the city's drug dealers

It would be nice to see everyone who gives cash to beggars moved into the higher rate tax bracket (or have their benefits 'docked') as they clearly have far too much disposable income.

I think the city has probably had enough of it now- sympathy is at rock bottom. And that's thr sad thing- I now refuse to even acknowledge requests for monwy as I don't want to engage and get abuse, which ends up making you feel like you're becomin something you don't want to be- i.e. the sort of peraon that doesn't even look at someone as they speak to you.

I've noticed more and more people are simply walking/ignoring past the spice zombies who are laid out on the streets, drooling on the pavement... maybe a year, or 18 months ago, most of us would have shown concern or called an ambulance but we've quickly become accustomed to seeing it, which in itself is pretty shocking. It will only be a matter of time before there's a dead one laid there and nobody will notice...

I've noticed more and more people are simply walking/ignoring past the spice zombies who are laid out on the streets, drooling on the pavement... maybe a year, or 18 months ago, most of us would have shown concern or called an ambulance but we've quickly become accustomed to seeing it, which in itself is pretty shocking. It will only be a matter of time before there's a dead one laid there and nobody will notice...

There is an article in todays Sheffield Star. Its just beyond a joke when will the authorities get together to sort this problem out.

Edited by woodmally

I work for the Ambulance service and I’m sick of going to see the “Spice Boys” when we should be dealing with people who are genuinely in need of our help.

We do our bit. We drag them to A&E if they don’t come around in a reasonable time but we prefer to keep them away from hospital where they take up a bed, abuse other patients and staff before discharging themselves making it all a complete waste of time. They often threaten us when we attend so quite often we just wait until they are alert enough and leave them after informing the Police. Sadly, nothing gets done and when you speak to the Police or PCSO’s, they try but nothing happens.

Sadly, there are too many do-gooders who instead of giving these people money which they will buy more Spice with, they ought to ignore them. They get fed by various charities so they aren’t going hungry.

As a member of the public, I won’t go to town now because I’m sick of seeing them. I now prefer Meadowhall and that is saying something.

I work for the Ambulance service and I’m sick of going to see the “Spice Boys” when we should be dealing with people who are genuinely in need of our help.

We do our bit. We drag them to A&E if they don’t come around in a reasonable time but we prefer to keep them away from hospital where they take up a bed, abuse other patients and staff before discharging themselves making it all a complete waste of time. They often threaten us when we attend so quite often we just wait until they are alert enough and leave them after informing the Police. Sadly, nothing gets done and when you speak to the Police or PCSO’s, they try but nothing happens.

Sadly, there are too many do-gooders who instead of giving these people money which they will buy more Spice with, they ought to ignore them. They get fed by various charities so they aren’t going hungry.

As a member of the public, I won’t go to town now because I’m sick of seeing them. I now prefer Meadowhall and that is saying something.

Went to the football Saturday afternoon and parked on Trippet Lane. Evening tariff for parking doesn't kick in until 16:30 (even on Saturday!!).

Was sat in the car waiting for 16:30 and there was an alco comatose on the opposite footpath. He had his head on his bag and was laid on his side so not in immediate danger I thought.

Anyway various passers by stopped to check him out and then walked on but 2 young girls decided to call an ambulance (I have done this myself in the past).

Ambulance arrives and wake him up and once awake he reaches for his part finished can of cheap "spesh" and has a glug.

Paramedics put him in the ambulance and carted him off to hospital. All seemed like a complete waste of time.

Of course there are genuine homeless in the city centre but these are in the minority & even with a number of agencies offering help, many don't seem to want to be helped, so for me it's become a lifestyle choice. Same with those off their heads on drink & drugs. Their choice to take them, so why should I care, except for the fact that they are tieing up valuable services & resources but not contributing a penny.

Of course some persistent offender will never learn:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/banned-sheffield-beggar-charged-for-offences-including-assault-and-breaching-court-order-1-9239820

This is it - the only response now is to walk past. We're accustomed to being hassled for money, seeing drug dealing, and seeing people collapsed on pavements with families stepping over them. That's a sad thing, all round.

---------- Post added 07-08-2018 at 13:39 ----------

Make giving money to these people a criminal offence - it simply has to happen. It's a drain on stretched public services, feeding drug dealers lifestyles - yet still some people are so clueless/naive/well meaning they continue to give money.

Make THESE people responsible too. They're feeding drug dealers as much as anyone else. If they were made ware of the consequences of their 'generosity' they would soon stop I feel.

I wonder if this is still on the back-burner from last year or just been dropped altogether?

I see that Doncaster implemented the idea of PSPOs.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/tough-new-powers-considered-to-tackle-aggressive-begging-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-8911398

As usual, where others lead, SCC fail to follow.

The state of the city centre in terms of begging/drug use seem to be the hot topics on the 'most viewed' section of The Star.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/worker-fears-spice-users-are-making-sheffield-city-centre-unsafe-1-9288379

This article today quotes a woman as saying: "We are promoting Sheffield by the seaside and urging people to bring their kids into town where they see stuff like this."

I totally agree - why on earth you'd want to take kids into the centre is beyond me - so many adults I know just don't go there now, let alone those with children.

It's outrageous really - a whole city being made to feel uncomfortable visiting their own city centre because of the actions of a relatively small but aggressive amount of people.

I can, and have, provided the police with accurate and detailed descriptions of those openly drug dealing in the centre. Yet they still continue in the same places. Why?

"Say it, see it, sorted" is all over the train station. The attitude in the centre seems to be "say it, see it, ignore it".

Surely arresting drug dealers is the first port of call here?! Why is not happening?

If you want to help the homeless, please donate to one of the charities who are actively working to get people off the streets - there are plenty, just Google 'em. Don't give money directly to beggars, of course they will spend it on drugs - if I was living on the street I'd want to be out of it as much as possible. You can't rely on the council to deal with the problem, all of their services have been slashed by Tory cuts.