Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Neither of them require begging though.....

Cuts to social services causes begging not cos its an easy life.

Drug and alcohol addictions do too. Why not give directly to the drug dealers- they can be found nearby beggars, or dealing outside cathedral/bottom of fargate easily- and ask them simply to keep the drugs coming? That's what happens when you give money to beggars- thibking any different is willfully naive.

---------- Post added 03-08-2018 at 13:18 ----------

not been to town for a while but Homeless and those spaced out (Drugs) was shocking to see , also a lot of down and outs about im sure a lot know what I mean , safe to say wont be a long while before I go again if need too

And there, in one post, is the reason why the centre is struggling. Many, many people feel this way and are simply avoiding going there if they don't have to.

A moral dilemma, police say no when you know that money is going straight to a drug dealer should you give change???

---------- Post added 03-08-2018 at 12:51 ----------

In the back of mind I think what if that person has an overdose this time & is my money helping them get off the street?

No way......:suspect:

Go and get a job then? Most of these people aren't (or at least weren't) incapable of work, they just don't want to. Easier to sit on the streets and get money for free, just like their housing and bills. All free. Too easy.

Ironically they probably work a lot more hours than most to feed their habits anyway.

Neither of them require begging though.....

I agree with everything that Paula says.

I already do. It's called my taxes to pay for an apparent endless supply of methadone; trips to clinics for health checks; benefits as many are unable to work.

I already think I give enough.

Go and get a job then? Most of these people aren't (or at least weren't) incapable of work, they just don't want to. Easier to sit on the streets and get money for free, just like their housing and bills. All free. Too easy.

Ironically they probably work a lot more hours than most to feed their habits anyway.

I agree with you and Paula. Absolutely.

I think the vast majority, if not all charities working with the homeless would advise against people giving money directly to those begging on the street.

Huh? BID is the Business Improvement District. Not mainly religious groups at all. Are you actually aware of them and what they do, and what the awareness campaign involved? If not there probably isn't much point in discussing it.

And BID launched Help Us Help to combat rough sleeping and begging.

https://www.sheffieldbid.com/sheffield-launches-help-us-help/

The majority of groups in Help Us Help are religious groups.

http://www.helpushelp.uk

A minority of groups in Sheffield who work with homeless and special needs.

BID has nothing to do with religion, crikey talk about barking up the wrong tree.

BID has nothing to do with religion, crikey talk about barking up the wrong tree.

I read it as Helpushelp being religious. However even if they are, and I'm not myself, does it matter as long as they are trying to sort the problem out.

They got to get clean first

---------- Post added 04-08-2018 at 12:04 ----------

Drug and alcohol addictions do too. Why not give directly to the drug dealers- they can be found nearby beggars, or dealing outside cathedral/bottom of fargate easily- and ask them simply to keep the drugs coming? That's what happens when you give money to beggars- thibking any different is willfully naive.

---------- Post added 03-08-2018 at 13:18 ----------

And there, in one post, is the reason why the centre is struggling. Many, many people feel this way and are simply avoiding going there if they don't have to.

You putting horse before cart. The only way to get homeless off drugs & street is increase support.

---------- Post added 04-08-2018 at 12:09 ----------

No way......:suspect:

I never argued against. But if social services is cut you get more drug addicted homeless. One can only assume you have never spent time with homeless people.