Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Ive been in town quite a few times the last few weeks from fargate to the bottom of the moor I have seen quite a lot of beggars there was a woman waiting around a cash point next to footlocker with a dog asking people for money saw her again doing the same thing bottom of the moor sainsburys cash point. Recently it has got worse imo I usually go to town once or twice a week so I don't see it everyday but when I do I see them

Saw the ultimate disgrace on Arundel Gate yesterday in front of the British Heart Foundation shop, it reminded me of a scene from Oliver Twist. There must have been about 20 "beggars/druggies/street drinkers" crowded round 4 people sat on the floor. On the pavement in a scruffy tracksuit top was a horde of (I can only surmise)stolen jewellery, tat such as bangles, rings, chains. When l say horde there must have been hundreds of items in the pile. The group were ranging in age from 15 upwards, all picking through the loot. They were partially blocking the pavement so it was inconvenient and l suppose to some quite intimidating as they were shouting and gesturing at each other. Most were drinking in the street which l thought is an offence in Sheffield City Centre. What l can't get my head round is why no Police were in the vicinity as it was quite obvious this group were up to no good. I perfectly understand the problem of homelessness in the city but this was 100% criminal behaviour in broad daylight and btw there were tags on alot of the jewellery too. I doubt buying jewellery in such proportions comes high on the priority to a homeless person. It's about time the Council with assistance from social Services and Police sorted this out. The City Centre is becoming less attractive by the minute. I spotted beggars/spice heads on High street, west street, Barkers Pool, Division Street, the Moor, Fargate and Haymarket, whilst in town too yesterday so approximately 50. Getting out of control methinks!

Most were drinking in the street which l thought is an offence in Sheffield City Centre.

It is only an offence if you don't stop drinking when requested to do so by a policeman or other council officer.

Did you report any of this?

No l didn't have you tried to get through to 101...45 minutes is the usual. Police drove past...no interest. It's in town...under 100's of cameras. If it was my responsibility to work with these groups l would deal with it. It will be the Councillors that complain when more and more people opt for Meadowhall, Barnsley or Doncaster city centre instead of our Third World City Centre.

No l didn't have you tried to get through to 101...45 minutes is the usual. Police drove past...no interest. It's in town...under 100's of cameras. If it was my responsibility to work with these groups l would deal with it. It will be the Councillors that complain when more and more people opt for Meadowhall, Barnsley or Doncaster city centre instead of our Third World City Centre.

Thats the problem you ring 101 and it takes forever to get through so I can see why people dont bother. There needs to be more police on the streets in the city. I know we dont have much money but if they prioritised these areas they could clean up the city.

lets all pay a little more on our poll tax purely for more police, i for one would

lets all pay a little more on our poll tax purely for more police, i for one would

unfortunately, working-class Tories would rather save £hundreds a year in tax, even if it means losing over 20,000 Police officers since 2010.

Saw the ultimate disgrace on Arundel Gate yesterday in front of the British Heart Foundation shop, it reminded me of a scene from Oliver Twist. There must have been about 20 "beggars/druggies/street drinkers" crowded round 4 people sat on the floor. On the pavement in a scruffy tracksuit top was a horde of (I can only surmise)stolen jewellery, tat such as bangles, rings, chains. When l say horde there must have been hundreds of items in the pile. The group were ranging in age from 15 upwards, all picking through the loot. They were partially blocking the pavement so it was inconvenient and l suppose to some quite intimidating as they were shouting and gesturing at each other. Most were drinking in the street which l thought is an offence in Sheffield City Centre. What l can't get my head round is why no Police were in the vicinity as it was quite obvious this group were up to no good. I perfectly understand the problem of homelessness in the city but this was 100% criminal behaviour in broad daylight and btw there were tags on alot of the jewellery too. I doubt buying jewellery in such proportions comes high on the priority to a homeless person. It's about time the Council with assistance from social Services and Police sorted this out. The City Centre is becoming less attractive by the minute. I spotted beggars/spice heads on High street, west street, Barkers Pool, Division Street, the Moor, Fargate and Haymarket, whilst in town too yesterday so approximately 50. Getting out of control methinks!

Pretty standard... they hang about there most evenings. The police are aware and we report antisocial behaviour to them and to our building security people all the time (I work just across the road) but nothing changes so I know to avoid that bit of town, especially if I'm on my own.

In the mornings some of them start off around York Street at about 7.30ish... there's usually around 8-10 people having their early morning fix before going off to their designated begging spot... they were at it this morning... one kid was off his face, clinging to a lamp-post and the others were stood round laughing.

When you work in the City Centre you get to recognise the usual suspects and know who NOT to give money to. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Would that it were poll tax. A very much fairer system.

Pretty standard... they hang about there most evenings. The police are aware and we report antisocial behaviour to them and to our building security people all the time (I work just across the road) but nothing changes so I know to avoid that bit of town, especially if I'm on my own.

In the mornings some of them start off around York Street at about 7.30ish... there's usually around 8-10 people having their early morning fix before going off to their designated begging spot... they were at it this morning... one kid was off his face, clinging to a lamp-post and the others were stood round laughing.

When you work in the City Centre you get to recognise the usual suspects and know who NOT to give money to. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Again another reason why I get so frustrated and angry. We all know whats happening we all know who is doing it and we all know who is not genuine yet the authorities refuse to do anything about it. They could break them up a dispersal order this would stop them enabling each other. They have been able to ban them from the city centre they have done that recently here for example:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/aggressive-beggar-banned-from-sheffield-city-centre-for-five-years-1-9026807

Why dont they do anything it wont take much to sort out surely. A few police officers and an afternoon of paperwork.

Would that it were poll tax. A very much fairer system.

Absolutely!

Did you mean council tax or general taxation?

I'm not against either, but what guarantee do we have that it will be spent a)where we want it, or b) not used to prop up yet another 6 figure salary?

In real terms, we are already paying almost 50% of our salary in tax, yet cuts continue to abound, to the point where police, and other equally necessary services are in dire straights.