Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

That negative stereotype is abundantly clear on this thread.

Basically as Paula has stated. We have pretty much lost all sympathy for these people. We see them day in day out. A lot have been barred from various services such as the Archer Project and Bens Centre who do sterling work in difficult conditions.

Even Anthony (hug a druggie Tent City man) Cunningham has ranted a few times how addicts are causing him problems from causing him to have to close the Sunday Breakfast Club he set up to help those on the streets. If he is getting critical you know its got really bad.

This is compounded by people giving them money and enabling their addiction. The income stream needs to stop otherwise they will never seek help.

Cyclone of course can afford to be a sympathetic saint, he gets to go into town, show sympathy to all the poor druggies, then go home. For the rest of us who actually live in the city centre, we have a very different lived experience, being asked for money every 10 minutes and being verbally abused and spat at if we refuse. The if they deserve sympathy why do we not, as after all we haven't done anything to deserve it?

Although I suppose the upshot of living in the city centre is knowing that the vast majority aren't homeless, because you can actually see them go into their accommodation at night when its no longer profitable to be out!

Different issues there though. In a lot of cases it really is as simple as people that were previously engaging stopping because they know they can make money begging to continue their drug habit.

Ones things absolutely certain - having a drug habit continually funded is NOT the way to sort a life out.

And the evidence that all beggars are there to fund their drug habit is..................................................

And the evidence that all beggars are there to fund their drug habit is..................................................

1) The fact that they are often seen sat outside with a bloke hovering in a distance. Its the same bloke that goes from beggar to beggar.

2) Many of us see them go home in an evening after doing a "shift".

3) You never see the ones begging sleeping rough at night.

4) You will see the ones begging for money in a drugged out state high on spice.

5) Unless you have been living on another planet you will have seen the spice addicts around the city centre. They obviously must be getting the money from somewhere.

Do you need any more evidence?

1) The fact that they are often seen sat outside with a bloke hovering in a distance. Its the same bloke that goes from beggar to beggar.

2) Many of us see them go home in an evening after doing a "shift".

3) You never see the ones begging sleeping rough at night.

4) You will see the ones begging for money in a drugged out state high on spice.

5) Unless you have been living on another planet you will have seen the spice addicts around the city centre. They obviously must be getting the money from somewhere.

Do you need any more evidence?

So you have observed every beggar 24/7? Yes I've seen some making their way back to the councils homeless accommodation near the university roundabout - have also seen a fair number who I know are sleeping rough. Not all the rough sleepers are simply drug addicts - many have long term complex mental health issues.

There isn't a magic wand here.

So you have observed every beggar 24/7? Yes I've seen some making their way back to the councils homeless accommodation near the university roundabout - have also seen a fair number who I know are sleeping rough. Not all the rough sleepers are simply drug addicts - many have long term complex mental health issues.

There isn't a magic wand here.

Yes there are some that are genuine the same way you have observed some that are fiddling the system ie the roundabout people you mentioned. As for is there a magic wand well there is. Simple dont give money to anyone. Give food clothing, a drink, signpost them to services. If they are genuine like those you described they would welcome this help. Also giving money to those that have addictions is enabling that addiction. So the solution is simple BUT everyone has to do it for it to work.

As for is there a magic wand well there is. Simple dont give money to anyone. Give food clothing, a drink, signpost them to services. If they are genuine like those you described they would welcome this help. Also giving money to those that have addictions is enabling that addiction. So the solution is simple BUT everyone has to do it for it to work.

Sorry but that is incredibly patronising to those people - like you are telling them you know better than them what they need.

How many times do people need to be told that all beggars are not drug addicts.

Those properties will be let though. They always are, there are no social housing properties that remain unlet. So why do you keep posting the same post as if it represents a solution to the housing crisis and the complexities of street homelessness, the second of which you should know relates very strongly to poor mental health and often child abuse. It's just facile, and bordering on stupid

If one person, who doesn't understand the housing system, sees that information, it could be of help. I know it's not a solution, especially to the complex situation with street beggars and addicts. But considering we are told that the majority of homeless people are in temporary accommodation, or with family and friends, it just may be of use to someone.

As a (retired) housing officer, one of the biggest challenges was getting applicants to have realistic expectations about what they were likely to be offered. Some would have seen a maisonette in Gleadless Valley as a starting point to improve their lives, some wouldn't. Some homeless people are on the wrong side of sixty, and some consideration is given to people in their fifties applying for age banded properties.

I've interviewed many people presenting as homeless, the council did find solutions for some. But even in the days when intensive tenancy support was available, it didn't always work out. I'm perfectly aware that one size doesn't fit all, The_bloke has already posted his experience of being homeless and how he was rehoused.

Lastly, I don't give to people on the street. I've supported the Archer project for years, and pointed people towards it. However, the situation in Sheffield now is bad. I walked a short distance along Arundel Gate today, saw two men completely out if it, prone on the pavement. Two women sat with one of them. Further along I got some verbals because I didn't give a man any money. People were sidestepping a large pool of vomit on the pavement.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Sorry but that is incredibly patronising to those people - like you are telling them you know better than them what they need.

How many times do people need to be told that all beggars are not drug addicts.

But what happens if I happen to give money to one who is? I will be at best enabling their addiction and at worst potentially causing them to be injured or killed. Would you buy an alcoholic a drink? No of course you wouldn't. How do I know which one is genuine and which one isn't? Yes refusing to give money is not ideal to the genuine but I've seen enough of the problems with the drugaholics in town making it like Shaun of the dead to reason something drastic needs to happen like not giving any money.

Edited by woodmally

I think people do have sympathy but are just at breaking point with the state of the centre, what they routinely have to witness, and how it is coming to dominate certain parts of the centre.

There are definitely a number of posters who appear to lack any sympathy or empathy at all.

---------- Post added 26-07-2018 at 08:45 ----------

Basically as Paula has stated.

She stated that people 'do have sympathy'.

We have pretty much lost all sympathy for these people.

You've just declared the opposite.

---------- Post added 26-07-2018 at 08:46 ----------

Cyclone of course can afford to be a sympathetic saint, he gets to go into town, show sympathy to all the poor druggies, then go home. For the rest of us who actually live in the city centre, we have a very different lived experience, being asked for money every 10 minutes and being verbally abused and spat at if we refuse. The if they deserve sympathy why do we not, as after all we haven't done anything to deserve it?

Although I suppose the upshot of living in the city centre is knowing that the vast majority aren't homeless, because you can actually see them go into their accommodation at night when its no longer profitable to be out!

Perhaps I'm just a decent human being. I certainly haven't claimed to be a saint. You'll note that throughout I've drawn a distinction between those actually homeless and those who aren't.

Although unless they're your neighbours I find it unlikely that you have any idea where they go when they stop begging.

---------- Post added 26-07-2018 at 08:49 ----------

Yes there are some that are genuine the same way you have observed some that are fiddling the system ie the roundabout people you mentioned. As for is there a magic wand well there is. Simple dont give money to anyone. Give food clothing, a drink, signpost them to services. If they are genuine like those you described they would welcome this help. Also giving money to those that have addictions is enabling that addiction. So the solution is simple BUT everyone has to do it for it to work.

Speaking of enabling addiction, perhaps have a read of this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39212295

---------- Post added 26-07-2018 at 10:07 ----------

Here's another one to take a look at;

Edited by Cyclone

Perhaps I'm just a decent human being. I certainly haven't claimed to be a saint. You'll note that throughout I've drawn a distinction between those actually homeless and those who aren't.

Although unless they're your neighbours I find it unlikely that you have any idea where they go when they stop begging.

Not a saint, but you certainly have a "holier than thou" attitude, who dismisses legitimate points made by other members of this forum as lacking in compassion. Although I posit that if they were literally on your street and you were threatened by them day in and day out you would probably singing a different tune. Compassion is a cheap luxury for those its not directly affecting.

And you spend enough time in the centre, say 6 years and counting you see them going into their accommodation at night, and going out in the morning. But I don't suppose you would see that from your nice little enclave in Wadlsey. ;)

What legitimate points have I dismissed?

Threatened by them now? You should report that to the police.