Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

That and kind, well meaning but misguided people handing out cash to beggars. Folks, if you feel sorry for someone on the street and want to help give to one of local homeless charities.

x 10. Half of them are doing it more for their own satisfaction anyway, the amount of people I see walking away with a self-satisfied look after giving money to someone. Yes, well done for perpetuating that person's addiction.

x 10. Half of them are doing it more for their own satisfaction anyway, the amount of people I see walking away with a self-satisfied look after giving money to someone. Yes, well done for perpetuating that person's addiction.

I had some pillock berate me once for 'taking cash out of a cashpoint and not giving that beggar even a penny' who was sat next to it. "He's just trying to get a few quid together for a room for the night" etc.

I certainly shut him up when I explained I had recently worked with the guy, knew he was in accommodation, and pointed out his drug dealer standing opposite.

That's the lack of awareness you're dealing with though.....and why the problem is continuing grow and more and more people are turning away from engagement with help and support services in favour of begging and subsequent drug use.

Everyone should be aware that giving money makes things worse.

I had some pillock berate me once for 'taking cash out of a cashpoint and not giving that beggar even a penny' who was sat next to it. "He's just trying to get a few quid together for a room for the night" etc.

I certainly shut him up when I explained I had recently worked with the guy, knew he was in accommodation, and pointed out his drug dealer standing opposite.

That's the lack of awareness you're dealing with though.....and why the problem is continuing grow and more and more people are turning away from engagement with help and support services in favour of begging and subsequent drug use.

Its that bad I think I know the person you are referring to. You often see the dealer stood next to them. I cannot be certain it is a dealer but when they keep wandering between the beggars its very likely.

And at the same time more and more people are being sanctioned so while they might have a roof over their head they can't afford heat. light, food, clothes, fares etc.

Support services for vulnerable people have been slashed and yet there has been a large increase in demand for support services in the last 5 years or so.

lt isn't simply a case of people turning away from support services in favour of begging to fund their drug habits - it's far more complex than that.

And at the same time more and more people are being sanctioned so while they might have a roof over their head they can't afford heat. light, food, clothes, fares etc.

Support services for vulnerable people have been slashed and yet there has been a large increase in demand for support services in the last 5 years or so.

lt isn't simply a case of people turning away from support services in favour of begging to fund their drug habits - it's far more complex than that.

Different issues there though. In a lot of cases it really is as simple as people that were previously engaging stopping because they know they can make money begging to continue their drug habit.

Ones things absolutely certain - having a drug habit continually funded is NOT the way to sort a life out.

Having issues with paying for lighting/fuel etc is one thing.....making your priority drugs isn't going to help with that, one bit.

I went to Covent Garden in London and saw they have these street mimes -- people who put on fancy dress or paint their bodies and then stay perfectly still to entertain and delight the tourists.

Can we dress up or paint Sheffield's spice statues as colourful mimes? They have already cracked the hard part of staying still. It will put Sheffield on the tourist map and create much-needed income and job satisfaction for our new mime brigade.

I went to Covent Garden in London and saw they have these street mimes -- people who put on fancy dress or paint their bodies and then stay perfectly still to entertain and delight the tourists.

Can we dress up or paint Sheffield's spice statues as colourful mimes? They have already cracked the hard part of staying still. It will put Sheffield on the tourist map and create much-needed income and job satisfaction for our new mime brigade.

That actually made me laugh - send it to Julie Dore!

Different issues there though. In a lot of cases it really is as simple as people that were previously engaging stopping because they know they can make money begging to continue their drug habit.

Ones things absolutely certain - having a drug habit continually funded is NOT the way to sort a life out.

Having issues with paying for lighting/fuel etc is one thing.....making your priority drugs isn't going to help with that, one bit.

Well, if only addiction were as easy to overcome as someone telling you that it's not the right priority to have in life!

Well, if only addiction were as easy to overcome as someone telling you that it's not the right priority to have in life!

No one thinks that. But if you're constantly given money for drink/drugs by strangers, it's not going to make seeking help any easier is it, nor even admitting the need for help.

Prevalent stereotypes and stigmas in the world today often dismiss those who are homeless as simply drug addicts or alcoholics. Lisa S., quoted above, would probably be the first to admit that she took some wrong turns along the way in life. But, then again, life can deal out more than a fair share of trauma, stress, pain and other negative factors that tremendously impact our lives.

Trying to answer the“the chicken or the egg” question, researchers have made a clear discovery. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, addiction can be both a cause and a result of homelessness.2 To further complicate matters, mental illness is often an underlying cause of addiction and, therefore, homelessness as well. This fact makes negative stereotypes about addiction and homelessness all the more ill-founded.1

That negative stereotype is abundantly clear on this thread.

That negative stereotype is abundantly clear on this thread.

I think people do have sympathy but are just at breaking point with the state of the centre, what they routinely have to witness, and how it is coming to dominate certain parts of the centre.

We have a male mime who entertains the public on Northumberland St, here in Newcastle. He’s there most weeks so I am used to seeing him now.

He tends to paint his face white and wears a black bowler hat. It’s hard to believe that he is a living statue, how he can remain motionless in some very awkward positions is beyond me.

I’m sure it must be a paying business but I think he deserves it.

Don’t think I would know the difference on my next visit to Sheffield if you do spice up statues.