Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

They probably think (myself included) that there is no need to be homeless, there is help out there.. however some prefer to remain homeless and won"t seek help..

The reasons for this have been explained in this thread multiple times already and are available if you simply use google. :roll:

Which suggests to me that any lack of understanding is deliberate.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 09:07 ----------

Have you totally ignored other posters on this thread.

Firstly there are not "so many" struggling to survive and on the streets. There are a few genuine people who quite rightly deserve help

"More than 300,000 people in Britain – equivalent to one in every 200 – are officially recorded as homeless or living in inadequate homes, according to figures released by the charity Shelter.7 Nov 2017"

This is a huge increase over the last decade.

As others have pointed out for the remainder of them, they do not have ANY reason to be there. They are fake. They are scammers. They are there due to their own self-inflicted reasons and need to take responsibility for themselves.

"Self inflicted" doesn't somehow make someone magically not homeless.

Secondly, just because YOU say there is no help available doesn't mean its fact. The most vulnerable and those genuinely in priority need DO get care. Services exist all over the city and there are entire NHS hospital units dedicated to it.

"Local councils blame Tory cuts for dramatic surge in homelessness"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-cuts-homelessness-link-blame-government-austerity-2010-housing-homes-welfare-benefit-cuts-a7957701.html

The range of conditions and severity which is conveniently lumped under the title "mental health" is huge.

I wonder if a total lack of empathy can be lumped under 'mental health issue'?

I know as fact that many of these begging of a night time on West Street actually live around the corner on one of the side roads. They beg until they have a certain amount of cash and then go home. Some of these (but not all) will spend their cash on spice, drugs or alcohol meaning they have to come out begging again the following might. But some just beg on the weekend nights as thats where the big money is. The can get £100 surprisingly quickly, and they laugh about it when they tell me.

I don't consider these people to be homeless at all. And not all beggars are there due to no fault of their own, many are there have done many wrongdoings in their life, the type that the victim would want them sent to prison for. Yet society chooses to sympathise with them regardless.

I haven't claimed that every person begging is homeless, only that some are.

I'm sure that as you say a lot are begging because it's an easy way to get money. How to spot the difference between the two groups, I don't really know.

I'm sure that as you say a lot are begging because it's an easy way to get money. How to spot the difference between the two groups, I don't really know.

Try going round town at night when it's deserted, and you'll find them. However they find places to 'hide' to avoid being moved on by police, so I wouldn't recommend going looking alone.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 15:33 ----------

Try going round town at night when it's deserted, and you'll find them. However they find places to 'hide' to avoid being moved on by police, so I wouldn't recommend going looking alone.

And don't expect a warm welcome.

That’s the problem isn’t it ? Sorting the genuine homeless out from the scammers .

So I saw a beggar being robbed of his change last week by two people who found it hilarious near the lyceum theatre I gave him some money to account what had been stolen. The poor fella said this was a regular occurrence and that people on the street at night were regularly ****** upon.

Simple way to identify and differentiate. Don't give money but offer what they want in the way of needs ie food drink etc. If they are genuine then they will take it with open arms. If not they will probably swear and curse at you but at least you will know who the frauds are.

Simple way to identify and differentiate. Don't give money but offer what they want in the way of needs ie food drink etc. If they are genuine then they will take it with open arms. If not they will probably swear and curse at you but at least you will know who the frauds are.

OK, but besides food, homeless people need other essentials that cost money, like toiletries, bus fare, socks and pants, so not always an infallible indicator.

OK, but besides food, homeless people need other essentials that cost money, like toiletries, bus fare, socks and pants, so not always an infallible indicator.

All of which are available in abundance from many charities in Sheffield for free.

Please just don't give anyone money. Whatever you may think- the only thing you are doung is contributing to their decline.

All of which are available in abundance from many charities in Sheffield for free.

Please just don't give anyone money. Whatever you may think- the only thing you are doung is contributing to their decline.

OK, I take your point. I'm just saying homeless sometimes need money as well as food.

Edited by Anna B

I totally agree.

Sorry I wasn't quite that clear. I didn't just mean food and drink I meant give them any of the essentials that they need. Anything really just not money. This stops the possibility of giving to people who are alcohol or drug dependent and means that those in need get the essentials they need.