Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

What my point is this.

'IF' these beggars have their own home and are begging purely for easy cash why would they need a boss/Pimp?

Unless the best begging spots in town have now become 'Owned' by some Cartel?

What my point is this.

'IF' these beggars have their own home and are begging purely for easy cash why would they need a boss/Pimp?

It does make you wonder . Many people have posted on here ( myself included ) about seeing beggars working shifts on certain sites and also about seeing them sharing out their gains at the end of the day :suspect:

It does make you wonder . Many people have posted on here ( myself included ) about seeing beggars working shifts on certain sites and also about seeing them sharing out their gains at the end of the day :suspect:

Nobody works shifts these days hacks, it's all gone zero hours contracts.

---------- Post added 24-05-2018 at 22:31 ----------

What my point is this.

Are Uber in on it?

What my point is this.

Probably Pablo Escobar. :loopy::hihi:

Ahh, that's better. (The Link)

Taken from that page..."Our primary aim is to help people into accommodation, if needed, and away from begging but we are prepared to take a firmer approach when necessary."

When has a 'firmer approach' EVER been taken?

The Police seem to think its all down to 'Homelessness' and or Drug abuse.!

Nowt said about 'Organised Begging cartels' that some on here have suggested?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/beggars-part-of-organised-gangs-earn-up-to-200-a-day-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-8832158

It follows the following structures -

People rack up debts with drug dealers, gangs then force them to beg, taking all their money as 'repayments'.

Gangs bring in vulnerable people and force them to beg under threat of violence.

Giving to beggars should also become a criminal offence- that would make a huge impact.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/beggars-part-of-organised-gangs-earn-up-to-200-a-day-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-8832158

It follows the following structures -

People rack up debts with drug dealers, gangs then force them to beg, taking all their money as 'repayments'.

Gangs bring in vulnerable people and force them to beg under threat of violence.

Giving to beggars should also become a criminal offence- that would make a huge impact.

I disagree with that idea.

Like many others, I can see that over the last 5+ years, the situation with the street homeless and begging has increased in our towns and cities has massively increased. Some of those begging may not be genuine, some are.

Unfortunately as we know many people fall through an increasingly ragged safety net, due to a combination of cuts and increased work loads to workers in statutory and voluntary services.

I'm also aware, as are others, of the huge amounts of money paid to chief executives and senior staff in charities, like ones dealing with housing, and I have little confidence in giving to those charities whether that money would go to the 'front line'. There are a couple of excellent charities in Sheffield that I can have confidence in.

Many have an altruistic instinct to help their fellow citizens in times of crisis; and perhaps have a sense of who is and isn't genuine. Of course, we won't get it right all the time. But for example, I'd rather know that one genuine person has been saved by the goodwill of others, and know that two others had 'pulled the wool over others eyes'.

Prosecute the gangs who force people to beg by all means.

However criminalising what is a basic human instinct, & one that I think we should be fostering more of in our society - that is helping others voluntarily - is wrong and counterproductive.

Edited by Mister M

I disagree with that idea.

Like many others, I can see that over the last 5+ years, the situation with the street homeless and begging has increased in our towns and cities has massively increased. Some of those begging may not be genuine, some are.

Unfortunately as we know many people fall through an increasingly ragged safety net, due to a combination of cuts and increased work loads to workers in statutory and voluntary services.

I'm also aware, as are others, of the huge amounts of money paid to chief executives and senior staff in charities, like ones dealing with housing, and I have little confidence in giving to those charities whether that money would go to the 'front line'. There are a couple of excellent charities in Sheffield that I can have confidence in.

Many have an altruistic instinct to help their fellow citizens in times of crisis; and perhaps have a sense of who is and isn't genuine. Of course, we won't get it right all the time. But for example, I'd rather know that one genuine person has been saved by the goodwill of others, and know that two others had 'pulled the wool over others eyes'.

Prosecute the gangs who force people to beg by all means.

However criminalising what is a basic human instinct, & one that I think we should be fostering more of in our society - that is helping others voluntarily - is wrong and counterproductive.

When EVERY expert and charity are saying that giving is harming people, and damaging lives why would you think such a thing?

Seriously - it's in human nature to help, but giving to beggars IS NOT HELPING. No one will tell you otherwise. "Saved by the goodwill of others" is the attitude that is destroying lives - if people want to give they can do so in other ways, but the problem is that people believe this claptrap (perhaps because they want to feel good about themselves?) that they are helping.

They're not. They're helping drug dealers, gang leaders, and people in destroying their lives and not seeking vital help.

People refuse to listen to all evidence, facts and expert opinion on this issue. Why? It baffles me.

It's not about people "pulling the wool over someone's eyes" at all - it's about giving money to people that is helping DESTROY their lives. And feeding violent and dangerous people with money by exploiting the most vulnerable.

Check the figures on the homeless. Read any of the mountains of information many different charities make available.

The notion that 'giving is caring' is complete nonsense. The most caring thing to do is to give money to those organisations offering support.

anyone who thinks the numbers of people begging on the streets of Sheffield hasnt increased alarmingly over the past 12-18 months must be mad - the city centre is overrun with them - police need to act and quickly - i agree that anyone wanting to help and i include myself should only give to registered charities or organisations helping the genuine homelessness. the vast vast majority are in no way homeless and are doing it to feed drugs and alcohol habits or being 'pimped' - sorry but thats the reality!

ALL beggars ,if spotted by the police should be given ONE warning only, and moved on straight away in the knowledge that if they are seen again they will be arrested and charged.

When EVERY expert and charity are saying that giving is harming people, and damaging lives why would you think such a thing?

Seriously - it's in human nature to help, but giving to beggars IS NOT HELPING. No one will tell you otherwise. "Saved by the goodwill of others" is the attitude that is destroying lives - if people want to give they can do so in other ways, but the problem is that people believe this claptrap (perhaps because they want to feel good about themselves?) that they are helping.

They're not. They're helping drug dealers, gang leaders, and people in destroying their lives and not seeking vital help.

People refuse to listen to all evidence, facts and expert opinion on this issue. Why? It baffles me.

It's not about people "pulling the wool over someone's eyes" at all - it's about giving money to people that is helping DESTROY their lives. And feeding violent and dangerous people with money by exploiting the most vulnerable.

Check the figures on the homeless. Read any of the mountains of information many different charities make available.

The notion that 'giving is caring' is complete nonsense. The most caring thing to do is to give money to those organisations offering support.

Giving doesn't always have to be money. I've occasionally given food, or more frequently cigarettes. Others give time to volunteer for charities which support the homeless, not because they 'want to feel good about themselves', but because they want to do something practical to help.

You've mentioned before on this thread Paula that you work for an organisation which supports 'these people', I'm taking it you don't do so 'to feel good about yourself?

Like I said before, there are local charities that are excellent - that aren't businesses, with fat cat greedy salaries given to senior staff - which parliament should be looking at!

I reiterate that your idea of giving to beggars becoming a criminal offence is ludicrous beyond belief.

Edited by Mister M

ALL beggars ,if spotted by the police should be given ONE warning only, and moved on straight away in the knowledge that if they are seen again they will be arrested and charged.

They can't be arrested as easily as that, and most of the folk giving them money will hardly be prepared to act as witnesses against them. In anycase, police can't just arrest any more like they used to be able to. And if someone isn't arrested, they can't be charged.

Even more reason to shop from home!

Cheaper, easier, no driving, no car park fees and no beggers.

Win Win