Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Personally it's not the beggars in the city centre who irritate me so much as the uniformed lanyard, leafletting army who accost ypu every few steps as you walk down the Moor.

Judging by all the comments on this thread, I would say 90% are professional beggars.

Comments aren't evidence, just opinion.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 06:46 ----------

I heard that professional beggars come to Sheffield in groups to beg. I just feel so sorry for those with dogs as the dogs look so sad and unhappy.

'I hear that...' isn't evidence of anything real.

NB people with dogs mostly likely had to look after them when they became homeless. What would you do?

Comments aren't evidence, just opinion.

Beggars part of organised gangs earn up to £200 a day in Sheffield city centre

Some street beggars in Sheffield city centre are part of organised gangs duping people into believing they are homeless.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/beggars-part-of-organised-gangs-earn-up-to-200-a-day-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-8832158

Some street beggars in Sheffield city centre are part of organised gangs duping people into believing they are homeless.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/beggars-part-of-organised-gangs-earn-up-to-200-a-day-in-sheffield-city-centre-1-8832158

'Some', not all, not a majority. One paper article (with an agenda) isn't proof.

5 day week, £1000 per week, I honestly don"t believe it. if its true who can blame them, in fact if I thought it was true, I would seriously give it a go.

I might put my gardening clothes on, grab a sleeping bag and take the dog down town if it’s that profitable!

'Some', not all, not a majority. One paper article (with an agenda) isn't proof.

it is going on, yes. Obviously I'm just one person posting on a board, but I can assure you that professional gangs are coming in to beg - and that exploitation of vulnerable people forms part of that process.

It's an issue that those working in that area are trying to address and combat, constantly.

I think people would be surprised how much money is generated by begging - it can be very lucrative.

Again - just please don't give beggars money. Donate to charity or buy a Big Issue.

There is one of the Big Issue sellers that has been selling for many, many years, and if fact he brags about the fact it's just a means to pay for his beer money, :loopy:

If you think he is abusing his position, that's against seller contract. Report him to the Big Issue office.

How do you know it's not a majority? Do you know them all?

I don;t know if it's just 'some' or not. NBut it's certainly not 'all'. I tend to get into Sheffield about 7am on a morning as I miss the rush hour and get a decent parking spot. I have noticed, on average, around half a dozen sleeping rough in doorways every morning on my reasonably short walk from the car to the office.

I fail to believe that even professional beggars get up and into town at this time, just to set up and catch a few more zzzz's before their day of begging starts. So I'm pretty sure these are genuine homeless, for whatever reason.

I don;t know if it's just 'some' or not. NBut it's certainly not 'all'. I tend to get into Sheffield about 7am on a morning as I miss the rush hour and get a decent parking spot. I have noticed, on average, around half a dozen sleeping rough in doorways every morning on my reasonably short walk from the car to the office.

I fail to believe that even professional beggars get up and into town at this time, just to set up and catch a few more zzzz's before their day of begging starts. So I'm pretty sure these are genuine homeless, for whatever reason.

There are many who do just as you suggest - have accommodation but choose not to sleep in it in order to take advantage of people going to work, or make an early start. The rough sleeper figures are always between 12-20, which across the city the size of Sheffield is tiny.When you also factor in that of that 12-20 a lot of them will have refused accommodation, and made the choice to sleep on the street, there really is no problem with homelessness in Sheffield of any scale.

There IS a problem though with drink and drug abuse, and exploitation of the vulnerable. Those three issues are very different matters - and unfortunately giving to begging is encouraging those issues, rather than helping them be combated.

Edited by paula4sheff

Its enough to back up pattricia's post which you seemed to jump on.

Can you prove it isn't happening or true or are you just the forum's beggar apologist?