Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Unfortunately it seems even worse now. Approached five times yesterday including twice while sitting eating a meal!

Unfortunately it seems even worse now. Approached five times yesterday including twice while sitting eating a meal!

So far I've only had this problem when having a beer outside The Globe / The Howard / The Sheffield Tap. It's happened multiple times each time I've had a drink there. Seems to be a usual run for them as I have asked other people I know and they have experienced the same.

So far I've only had this problem when having a beer outside The Globe / The Howard / The Sheffield Tap. It's happened multiple times each time I've had a drink there. Seems to be a usual run for them as I have asked other people I know and they have experienced the same.

Train station is a prime location. Not least because a lot of them get the train in from other places to Sheffield to do their begging for the day. People have actually started coming from quite far afield now, as other places clamp down on it.

The only thing that will have a major impact is if people actually started listening to advice from experts, actually looked a what is going on, and didn't give these people any more money. Sadly, they don't, so the cycle continues.

There is a rotation of 3 or 4 outside Subway going up King St. Seem to take turns each day in the same spot.

Not sure about Sheffield as not really been in the city centre recently but it was REALLY bad in Manchester on Saturday.

Saturday I saw more beggars than ever.At least 10 between Haymarket and Leopold St including 4 Sat together near Lloyds bank

I went into Sainsbury’s in town and outside was an elderly beggar woman. I waived her aside to say no, and she said “ Have a good day “ On coming out of Sainsbury’s I was putting my change back in my purse, when the beggar woman shouted” Fancy opening your purse in front of me and not giving me anything “ I went back to her and said “What did you just say? “ She would not repeat it and looked away.

I daresay someone will be along soon to tell us we should have more compassion for the homeless!

Edited by monkey104

I daresay someone will be along soon to tell us we should have more compassion for the homeless!

happy to oblige.

I think most people have compassion for the homeless, but it;s always important to point out these people AREN'T homeless, as figures show.

There is also a solid structure for anybody that does find themselves homeless in place in Sheffield, that accommodates people incredibly quickly, hence why the homeless figures in the city are so low.

The people we see begging are (mostly) those who are using the compassion for the homeless to feed drink and drug problems, or sometimes even just to make themselves money. Hence their coming in via trains/cars to beg in some instances.

Giving them money is simply killing them, encouraging them not to engage with productive things and seek help, and feeding crime.

The best thing anyone that wants to help can do is give to charity or buy a Big Issue.

What Paula says is right. There is help for homeless people. https://web.sheffieldlive.org/tag/homeless/

http://www.frameworkha.org/about/news/1732_new_telephone_hotline_empowers_public_to_help_sheffield_rough_sleepers

Donate to the Archer Project, st Wilfrids, Bens Centre, Framework or any other organisation that helps. At least then the money goes to help those genuinely in need.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

happy to oblige.

Ah! The irony was missed.

---------- Post added 21-05-2018 at 19:02 ----------

I think most people have compassion for the homeless, but it;s always important to point out these people AREN'T homeless, as figures show.

There is also a solid structure for anybody that does find themselves homeless in place in Sheffield, that accommodates people incredibly quickly, hence why the homeless figures in the city are so low.

The people we see begging are (mostly) those who are using the compassion for the homeless to feed drink and drug problems, or sometimes even just to make themselves money. Hence their coming in via trains/cars to beg in some instances.

Giving them money is simply killing them, encouraging them not to engage with productive things and seek help, and feeding crime.

The best thing anyone that wants to help can do is give to charity or buy a Big Issue.