Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Guest makapaka
Yeh, but the dogs aren’t alcoholics or drug users ! :rant:

Maybe they would be if they had opposable thumbs :loopy:

There is definitely a homeless issue in Sheffield, and although a lot of the "beggars" are scam artists, there are also a lot of people who genuinely need and want help. Just difficult to tell who's who sometimes

have a read of the link, homeless and people sleeping rough are two different things, according to the last count there are only 15 rough sleepers in Sheffield and i think i am correct in saying, they all have had a "house" at some time or other and all have been offered accommodation while they have been sleeping rough.

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/rough-sleeping-providing-the-facts/

have a read of the link, homeless and people sleeping rough are two different things, according to the last count there are only 15 rough sleepers in Sheffield and i think i am correct in saying, they all have had a "house" at some time or other and all have been offered accommodation while they have been sleeping rough.

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/rough-sleeping-providing-the-facts/

It's a council link. No reason whatsoever to think that that count is accurate.

what makes you say its not accurate, it was done over a matter of days if not weeks, what are your reasons for saying it is not accurate, maybe you are privy to some other information?

C+P

These people were counted by outreach teams from the city’s rough sleeper service who are in the city centre at night and early morning to find people and offer support.

Edited by kidley
added link

what makes you say its not accurate, it was done over a matter of days if not weeks, what are your reasons for saying it is not accurate, maybe you are privy to some other information?

C+P

These people were counted by outreach teams from the city’s rough sleeper service who are in the city centre at night and early morning to find people and offer support.

I too would welcome enlightenment as to your statement.

Sheffield council should take a lead , that all can see , in this problem , An advertising campaign explaining to us all what is the best way to help and to explain to us what is not. We went to town this last Sunday and the moor was clear of these scammers must have moved to another area to do their work.

I too would welcome enlightenment as to your statement.

What more enlightenment would you like that are not in my two links, i would welcome your suggestion's?

The process used to be ridiculous, for example it took place at 6pm at night and only counted people laid on floor not those carrying cardboard around (who were blatantly going to be rough sleeping at some point that night), however as someone else has said it's done a bit better now I think.

I can tell you from experience having gone out at 6am every Thursday for 4 years with the City Centre SNA - they have a very accurate spreadsheet of how many people are/have slept out.

After last nights frost, you'll know how many are genuinely homeless this morning.

They have said that in December 2016 there were 16 people sleeping on the streets.

So this figure has either increased by about 100 in a year or there are about 100 people who are not homeless who are taking advantage of people's generosity to buy drugs. I think its the latter.

Like i have said in a previous post. The cold weather will weed out the genuine homeless and the junkies.

Junkies wont sit in the rain and snow, they will just steal from shops and peoples homes.

C+P

That's true I've seen them, and if you get in to the city centre early-sparrows you will see them too...

I had an hardly used artic sleeping bag and waterproof Bivvi bag that I wanted to give to some one who was genuinely homeless.

To my mind the only way to make sure that it went to someone truly homeless was to find someone sleeping out in the early hours. Fortunately my work finds me out and about round Sheffield at all hours but I had a job actually finding someone that sleeps rough on a regular basis.

I had an hardly used artic sleeping bag and waterproof Bivvi bag that I wanted to give to some one who was genuinely homeless.

To my mind the only way to make sure that it went to someone truly homeless was to find someone sleeping out in the early hours. Fortunately my work finds me out and about round Sheffield at all hours but I had a job actually finding someone that sleeps rough on a regular basis.

Nice thought monkey.