Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Didn't Osborne promise that by 2015 he would've balanced the books? When he didn't reach that, he said that would be achieved by 2020. Then while he was still Chancellor, he said that would be unachievable.

But he was sacked. Probably for not balancing the books as promised. :thumbsup:

Some people like to crap on those with nothing. It makes them feel superior, & think that those reduced to begging do so because they are worthless, whilst those who complain about them can comfort themselves that they are virtuous.

Tuppence ha'penny looking down on tuppence.

What rubbish !:suspect:

I don't think it's rubbish, I think it's perfectly true.

Look at a similar thread about a rotten landlord in Sheffield, (https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1489789), which was started roughly at the same time as this thread. Very few have commented on that thread; but have no problems commenting about those who have absolutely nothing.

I guess it's the same with dole scum/scrounger threads - lots of people like to stick the boot in to those they think are defrauding the DWP; but go suspiciously quiet when the topic moves onto tax evasion.

I guess it shows that some people feel more comfortable in punching downwards than upwards. Not very brave though.

I don't think it's rubbish, I think it's perfectly true.

Look at a similar thread about a rotten landlord in Sheffield, (https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1489789), which was started roughly at the same time as this thread. Very few have commented on that thread; but have no problems commenting about those who have absolutely nothing.

I guess it's the same with dole scum/scrounger threads - lots of people like to stick the boot in to those they think are defrauding the DWP; but go suspiciously quiet when the topic moves onto tax evasion.

I guess it shows that some people feel more comfortable in punching downwards than upwards. Not very brave though.

What can normal people do about about tax evasion ? When people see something with their own eyes , they act on it

on monday i was at top of howard street 2 beggars were asking for money i was in a rush one had a coffee in his hand. He tried to hound me but my bus was in i dropped my pass and he proceed to chuck the coffee at me lucky it missed but this is getting stupid in sheffield with this

What can normal people do about about tax evasion ? When people see something with their own eyes , they act on it

I think people probably have a great deal more power collectively than they realise. The Archer Project is a fantastic example of what people can do. On a wider scale there are pressure groups such as the 'tax justice' campaign group, which help keep the pressure up.

I'm not totally naïve, I know there will be beggars that are scam artists, and I'm happy that those who have a home and access to benefits should face punishment. I think the least people could of is sometimes join the dots.... lots pf people we're talking about will have mental health or learning difficulties, possible addiction problems, relationship breakdowns etc. People such as those need help, not condemnation.

I think people probably have a great deal more power collectively than they realise. The Archer Project is a fantastic example of what people can do. On a wider scale there are pressure groups such as the 'tax justice' campaign group, which help keep the pressure up.

I'm not totally naïve, I know there will be beggars that are scam artists, and I'm happy that those who have a home and access to benefits should face punishment. I think the least people could of is sometimes join the dots.... lots pf people we're talking about will have mental health or learning difficulties, possible addiction problems, relationship breakdowns etc. People such as those need help, not condemnation.

I agree with some of that but what help do you give to the aggressive beggars (as in the post above) who only care about the next beer/ drug fix . Unfortunately I think if you were to try to enrol them in a detox programme , you would get short shrift from them , as bad as it sounds

Beggars is a wide description.

Begging is something I would hate to do but in a mess...I try not to be to judghemental but we seem to have

1) People in genuine hard times

2) The above who may have found begging works well enough to keep them in that lifestyle (in effect keeping them down)

3) Opportunists who beg themselves as an "easy living" who don't have the same pride

4) People "owned" by begging gangs, sent out to work beggng

(4) - and -(1) of course - are who I *really* feel for and I've seen women being bundled out of a car to work begging. Usually older, i.e. less profitable if forced into sex work. I feel sorry for these because it's a no-win. Don't give, and she gets a beating for not working hard enough, give and the traffickers see it as a profitable business model.

No wonder we look the other way, how the hell can you decide what to do?

I agree with some of that but what help do you give to the aggressive beggars (as in the post above) who only care about the next beer/ drug fix . Unfortunately I think if you were to try to enrol them in a detox programme , you would get short shrift from them , as bad as it sounds

I have never been treated aggressively by beggars.

My opinion is that some of this forum is more aggressive to them.

edit: met one yesterday asking for, polite and friendly.

Edited by dutch

Beggars is a wide description.

Begging is something I would hate to do but in a mess...I try not to be to judghemental but we seem to have

1) People in genuine hard times

2) The above who may have found begging works well enough to keep them in that lifestyle (in effect keeping them down)

3) Opportunists who beg themselves as an "easy living" who don't have the same pride

4) People "owned" by begging gangs, sent out to work beggng

(4) - and -(1) of course - are who I *really* feel for and I've seen women being bundled out of a car to work begging. Usually older, i.e. less profitable if forced into sex work. I feel sorry for these because it's a no-win. Don't give, and she gets a beating for not working hard enough, give and the traffickers see it as a profitable business model.

No wonder we look the other way, how the hell can you decide what to do?

Things that we CAN do, or at least support are:

- Homeless charities such as the Big Issue or the Archer Project who will help with group 1

- Campaign for drugs to be made legal and available through licensed premises with taxes etc, this will help both group 1 and 2 as in nearly all cases the sex and begging gangs are also involved in drugs

- Increase awareness with people you know who want to help that giving money to anyone begging on the street is likely to make things worse for people in groups 1 & 2 above and others who end up in a similar situation in the future

Ought we not to be phoning 101 every time and report it and get a Crime Number every time one sees people begging?

We should then get either the Star or Look North to do a Freedom of Information request after say three months asking how many offences of begging have been reported and how many beggars charged?

Bit harsh I know, but at least it may shift them elsewhere.