Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Is there only one day in a week? Or is begging not allowed except on Saturday?

The point is that everyone going on about beggars in town earning so much money and how easy it is, well you don't need any qualifications to do it so it's open to all. If it's so easy to earn loads then perhaps others should do it? Or suddenly the idea of sitting on a cold floor all day getting abuse isn't so appealing after all? So why would people choose to do it if they had other options?

Is there only one day in a week? Or is begging not allowed except on Saturday?

Well they have to go to work during the week;)

If you're interested in helping the homeless and beggars in Sheffield, this is a good place to start for information

http://www.helpushelp.uk/

Some wonderful organisations included here.

And if you can't donate money, you can donate your love and your time.

Sadly refusing someone money this morning has caused a beggar to get verbally abusive to me to the point I've had to take shelter in a cafe waiting on the police.

I donate to the archer project and have donated time there. So i have seen this person there.

I know these people are desperate but there is no need for what this person threatened.

I will still donate to the charity but something more has to be done to help them....

Edited by Groose

Keep an eye on whats happening in Durham.

They are going to adopt the hugely successful Swiss model of providing pharmaceutical-grade heroin to addicts on the street to stop them begging and committing crime to fund their addiction.

This is what Durham's Police & Crime Commissioner said:

“When I first joined the police I was part of the ‘best to lock them up brigade’, but you observe it doesn’t work. “Even now I am still going out more than 30 years later with police officers on raids we were doing in 1978. My experience has certainly shaped my thinking.

“Sadly, none of the political parties is up for change. Our whole drugs legislation should be fundamentally reviewed. I have been there to see the bodies with needles sticking out, the human despair.

“If we look at the UK’s position, we have got some of the highest levels of heroin abuse in Europe, also of cocaine use and drug-related deaths. Someone’s got to step up to the mark and do something a little bit different.”

“It will actually pay in the long-term. The whole idea is to get people into recovery and change their lifestyle.”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/05/durham-police-heroin-addicts-treatment-shooting-galleries

Edited by Puggie

Yes when I see them begging or sleeping rough and genuine I go buy them coffee and sandwich

Sadly refusing someone money this morning has caused a beggar to get verbally abusive to me to the point I've had to take shelter in a cafe waiting on the police.

I donate to the archer project and have donated time there. So i have seen this person there.

I know these people are desperate but there is no need for what this person threatened.

I will still donate to the charity but something more has to be done to help them....

I refused a female beggar money a few weeks ago, and was given a torrent of verbal abuse. To say she was sleeping rough I have never seen a beggar without a sleeping bag.!! In fact she was better dressed than me !

I refused a female beggar money a few weeks ago, and was given a torrent of verbal abuse. To say she was sleeping rough I have never seen a beggar without a sleeping bag.!! In fact she was better dressed than me !

Gemma's back by the sounds of it

The Archer Project distributes sleeping bags to homeless people. Sounds like they are doing an alright job if you've noticed.

If you'd care to donate then it's easy to do. Any time of year is fine because even summer nights can be very cold.

---------- Post added 01-05-2017 at 17:54 ----------

Sorry to hear that. It's sad when this happens but it has to be remembered a lot of people on the streets are pretty broken. It's no excuse but it can explain it. You did the right thing by making sure you were safe.

It seems to get worse as I have seen it a number of times. Some people just wandering around at or near train station or in city centre to actively ask other people for monies. Not begging but demanding for change (£1, 50pc etc)!

A couple of days ago when my partner and I walked down to the station from Arundel Gate at night, there was a guy who even followed us and put his hand around my partner's shoulder to demand for 1 pound. We ignored him and carried on walking but he followed us for 30 secs. Luckily he then walked away, or I would have called police!

That's agressive and outrageous.