Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Big Issue sellers are not beggars. For the most part they are people who find themselves homeless and heading for the scrap heap. At least they are trying to find a way back.

Best not to judge people - especially if you don't know their story.

Luckily most people have more compassion and will help people on their uppers; why not give a tenner to the Archer Project which helps dozens of people battling against addiction, mental illness and homelessness?

Here's a link for you

Absolutely.

People end up on the streest for all sorts of reasons including mental health, family collapse, addictions, unemployment.

Big issue sellers are not beggars.

I walk down Arundel Gate and Snig Hill on my way to work in a morning and can't believe the amount of beggars and homeless people I see.

The entrance to what used to be Jumbo (Chinese buffet place) has been turmed into a makeshift squat with cardboard and broken glass everywhere, similar to the entrance of the old Boardwalk. There are also two or three people in sleeping bags where the bus stops are outside what's now the British Heart Foundation shop too.

I'm not having a go at the individual people seeing as I don't know them, but it's beginning to look quite scruffy in that part of town.

Dont give to beggars.

If you really want to help then give to homeless charities.

Aren't the Big Issue Sellers generally those who are getting back on their feet?

Yes, I belive so.:)

---------- Post added 06-10-2016 at 08:08 ----------

When i went to London and Brighton, some years ago there were people everywhere sleeping on the streets, and it seems to be moving to the northern cities more so these days.

If it's a genuine beggar they will appreciate a coffee and a sandwich. If they just want money they are generally not homeless!

• Like 1

Dont give to beggars.

If you really want to help then give to homeless charities.

What disturbs me is how aggressive some are. On Tuesday evening one 'working' the Church Street bus stops would not accept a refusal to give until I screamed at him and made to call the police. We should not have to put up with this and I'm planning on taking it up with MP

There is a guy who begs outside the Co-op in Crookes. We have offered him food and a shower if he wanted to come to our house, which he declined. I have since heard that he has somewhere to live and can't keep pretending to us that he is homeless. He looks sheepish these days. My daughter has seen him with a dog in a different persona begging in the city centre. It seems that it must be profitable as he is making a living out of it. I can think of better ways of earning money than sitting on a concrete floor reading a novel.

It appears to be the new thing, begging. Probably pays better than minimum wage too! Although it is still illegal and I wonder why the police don't move them on.

Why don't the police move them on?. Probably because they are too busy making reality shows for the tv.

After coming out of The City Hall last night I was met on the steps by a young woman begging.

She was quite pleasant at first until I told her that the Sheffield police had told people not to give money to beggars as most are not homeless and live in hostels on benefits.

She got very aggressive with me shouting " You don't know what it's like to be homeless! " Fortunately my friends stepped in and told her off in no uncertain manner. Actually if she was homeless she was the first homeless person I had seen without a sleeping bag.!!!

After coming out of The City Hall last night I was met on the steps by a young woman begging.

She was quite pleasant at first until I told her that the Sheffield police had told people not to give money to beggars as most are not homeless and live in hostels on benefits.

She got very aggressive with me shouting " You don't know what it's like to be homeless! " Fortunately my friends stepped in and told her off in no uncertain manner. Actually if she was homeless she was the first homeless person I had seen without a sleeping bag.!!!

There are dozens. I was asked 9 times for change walking from All Bar One down to Sports Direct yesterday. It's a daily thing.