Landlords and Council tax

err.

Just got a bill for council tax from a house that I rent out!

When did it change from being the responsibly of the tenant to the responsibly of the Landlord for it to be paid?

How do I deal with this?

I've told the girls that live their that they must apply for their student discount and register for council tax.

But in the future if I rent to non student, or they don't actually pull their fingers out and do it, what then?

I ask for a deposit of a months rent. That deposit would not cover council tax for a year. And I wouldn't get a bill until long after they have left. Do I next time take a deposit of a months rent, AND a full council tax for the rental period? That seems like a huge amount.

Am I just being naive and this is the new way.

Help!

Doesn't the tenancy agreement you issued state that the tennant is responsible for all bills?

Mine states under tenants responsabilities that the tennant is to pay all charges in respect of any electric,gas,water,telephonic and television services used at or supplied to the property and council tax or any property tax that might be charged in addition to or replacement of it during the term.

Did you notify the council the details of the new tenants and the dates they moved in?

I always do this just in case the tenants forget and I also inform all the relevant utility company's of the tenants details too...

I think you have the bill as your tenants havnt informed the council they live there...

Edited by mafya

err.

When did it change from being the responsibly of the tenant to the responsibly of the Landlord for it to be paid?

I've always paid the council tax when I was renting, as a student you have to get a special bit of paper form the Uni to send off saying your exempt from the fee's.

Have you actually told the council that it's occupied? I notice tho you say girls. Is this a house share or a house of multiple occupation where they have their own tenancy agreements? Because if it's a HMO you will pay the bill and charge them for it.

err.

How do I deal with this?

I've told the girls that live their that they must apply for their student discount and register for council tax.

But in the future if I rent to non student, or they don't actually pull their fingers out and do it, what then?

I ask for a deposit of a months rent. That deposit would not cover council tax for a year. And I wouldn't get a bill until long after they have left. Do I next time take a deposit of a months rent, AND a full council tax for the rental period? That seems like a huge amount.

Help!

While ever the property is occupied it's the occupiers responsibility to pay the council tax. When the property is unoccupied then it's the landlords responsibility. I suspect you've got the bill because the tenants have not registered or have ignored letters. Call the council tell them its occupied give them the tenants details and they'll chase the tenant rather than you.

If you let to a group of people on a single/joint contract (whether it is a HMO or not) as long as the contract states it is the tenants responsibility to pay, the council cannot pursue you for the tax.

If a property is occupied by Tenants then they're responsible for Council Tax.

Unless those Tenants are Students (or are exempt for some other reason) and then no Council Tax is due... it doesn't fall back onto the Landlord.

If the property is unoccupied, then responsibility falls onto the Landlord (and it can be quite punitive too, if there are kickers to the rate, i.e. 150%, rather than reductions for empty properties - not making comment on policy, just stating how it is in some places).

Sheffield Council will just be writing to you as it's easy... you'll probably now need to do some admin.. I had some foreign students in a property once and it got to the point of a Court summons letter, because they'd just ignored it (not caring one jot), before I frog-marched them down to Howden House to explain it all to someone else who didn't care one jot.

Yes, I had written to the Council telling them all this before the tenancy started - I had received an acknowledgement - it didn't seem to matter at all.

Deposit and Council Tax are two entirely unrelated things... so, yes, I would say you possibly do come across as being a little bit naïve. I hope all other stuff has been done correctly for the tenancy? EPC, GSC, Right to Rent checks, deposit protection?

If a property is occupied by Tenants then they're responsible for Council Tax.QUOTE]

Not necessarily - read the link provided above by J Shaw.

Student's can now apply for their council tax exemption online. The forum won't let me post the link but, if you search for sheffield council tax exemption you'll find it. (they still have to upload the official letter from the university to confirm they are a full time student)