Why are there no public toilets in sheffield?

On 05/10/2019 at 09:18, Ms Macbeth said:

I try and avoid Marks, as Autumn says there's usually a queue, plus the toilets in there smell weird! Horribly weird.

I agree with you about the weird smell in Marks toilets on Farage.  It’s been there for years. 

3 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I agree with you about the weird smell in Marks toilets on Farage.  It’s been there for years. 

I agree about the weird smell surrounding Farage. 

What the council are thinking is: "Our capital maintenance grant has been cut by at least 60% and we don't want to start cutting essential services any more than we have to. What can we cut first?" I can't stand the ruling Labour group of Sheffield City Council, but let's be fair - their budget is being hung, drawn and quartered by central government.

On 08/10/2019 at 01:41, ECCOnoob said:

Thank you - that's helped get to the bottom of it (...no pun intended).  

Clearly based upon that little list, the submissions by Jaffa1 are complete nonsense.   It hardly demonstrates that Barnsley is somehow superior in their facility provision.

Notwithstanding the fact that Barnsley is small town centre compared to a large city - Sheffield ALSO has toilets in their library, train station, bus station and Market hall.  So, no point scored there.  

Yes -  Sheffield may not have a large central Shopping Mall like the Alhambra but we do have four major department stores - three of which are signed up to the council funded LAVS scheme and whose toilets are freely open for public use irrelevant of whether you are a customer or not.  Once again, no point there.

Ultimately, both places (as with so many other cities) provide ample provision within a "short walking distance" from where ever someone may be.   

Add on all the offices, cinemas, leisure facilities, restaurants, cafes and bars that an average person visting the city may at some point pass through - then there is even more provision.

I simply do not accept that a legitimate visitor to the city will not have multiple opportunity to go to a toilet during seveal points in their time here.   Nowhere in this city is their a point in which a loo (either private or public) is not a couple of minutes away. 

So a small town like Barnsley with less visitors, and a much smaller footfall has the same number of public toilets as a large city like Sheffield?

Think you defeated your own point there. 

2 hours ago, Hook said:

So a small town like Barnsley with less visitors, and a much smaller footfall has the same number of public toilets as a large city like Sheffield?

Think you defeated your own point there. 

I never said it had the same number of toliets.   I was responding to the specific examples provided in some pathetic attempt of one upmanship.

Read the key point in my post again.   Legitimate visitors to the city have ample opportunity to go to the toilet multiple times whether they are working here, studying here, staying here, travelling through here, visting a leisure facility here, dining out here or shopping here.     If none of that applies, what the hell are they doing??  .   This hysterical nonsense about the lack of public funded public maintained provision needs to stop. 

Dwindling public resources can be spent on much better and more necessary things.

Edited by ECCOnoob

There absolutely is a problem with the lack of public toilets in Sheffield- affecting some more than others. Many people are not comfortable going into pubs just to use the toilet.

The toilets available in stores under the scheme have the issue that for those unfamiliar with the scheme, or those unfamiliar with the city, it is not of any use.

A partial, and cheap solution could be for the council to install signposts showing where the nearest toilet accessible to the public is.

One problem I have when in a unfamiliar place is that, even if it has toilets, it can take a very, very long time to track them down.

Maybe councils cannot afford the cost of installing public toilets- it can surely afford to signpost toilets available to the public?

On 08/10/2019 at 08:00, Bargepole23 said:

I agree about the weird smell surrounding Farage. 

Absolutely!   Unpleasant character 😂

37 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

There absolutely is a problem with the lack of public toilets in Sheffield- affecting some more than others. Many people are not comfortable going into pubs just to use the toilet.

The toilets available in stores under the scheme have the issue that for those unfamiliar with the scheme, or those unfamiliar with the city, it is not of any use.

A partial, and cheap solution could be for the council to install signposts showing where the nearest toilet accessible to the public is.

One problem I have when in a unfamiliar place is that, even if it has toilets, it can take a very, very long time to track them down.

Maybe councils cannot afford the cost of installing public toilets- it can surely afford to signpost toilets available to the public?

There are signs pointing to the L.A.V.S toilets.

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I would agree that maybe there should be an increase in signage to the nearest L.A.V.S .facility but the primary point is about provision which is amply met.

People keep bringing up visitors to the city but I dont understand why there is such concern.    A visitor has ample opportunities available.   Why the constant focus and seeming demand on council provision?   Its not necessary.

Through my work, for example, I visit lots of different cities each month.  I often have never been there before and dont know my way around.  However, during the course of my visit, I go thorugh a train station which has toilets, visit a business office which has toilets, visit a courthouse which has toilets, stop for lunch at a cafe or restaurant which has toilets, get on the train home which nearly always has a toilet. 

Most people's own common sense will make them aware that any major department store or shopping mall will have public toilets inside.   If people are visiting an art gallery, cinema, theatre or other leisure attraction they will have toilets.   All hotels and bars have toilets.   All sports centres, arenas and stadia has toilets.

I am not seeing the problem here.    If, as I have said before, you are in the very unfortunate position of having some medical condition that leaves you caught short then they should have no reason for feel uncomfortable about using a pub or bar facility.   I doubt they would be many staff who would take issue over a genuine medical need. 

Nobody is going to tell me that an average visitor will not have amble opportunities to go to a toliet during their visit.   Why should the council use their resources for building, cleaning and maintaining large numbers of on street facilities.    The need is not there any more.

They are already spending monies on ensuring that a number of private facilities are freely open and accessible to all public without any reason to feel uncomfortable about not purchasing anything.   

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I would agree that maybe there should be an increase in signage to the nearest L.A.V.S .facility but the primary point is about provision which is amply met.

People keep bringing up visitors to the city but I dont understand why there is such concern.    A visitor has ample opportunities available.   Why the constant focus and seeming demand on council provision?   Its not necessary.

Through my work, for example, I visit lots of different cities each month.  I often have never been there before and dont know my way around.  However, during the course of my visit, I go thorugh a train station which has toilets, visit a business office which has toilets, visit a courthouse which has toilets, stop for lunch at a cafe or restaurant which has toilets, get on the train home which nearly always has a toilet. 

Most people's own common sense will make them aware that any major department store or shopping mall will have public toilets inside.   If people are visiting an art gallery, cinema, theatre or other leisure attraction they will have toilets.   All hotels and bars have toilets.   All sports centres, arenas and stadia has toilets.

I am not seeing the problem here.    If, as I have said before, you are in the very unfortunately position of having some medical condition that leaves you caught short then they should have no reason for feel uncomfortable about using a pub or bar facility.   I doubt they would be many staff who would take issue over a genuine medical need. 

Nobody is going to tell me that an average visitor will not have amble opportunities to go to a toliet during their visit.   Why should the council use their resources for building, cleaning and maintaining large numbers of on street facilities.    The need is not there any more.

Common sense ECCO.....

You omitted to say that there is a Bookies on just about every street corner, all with toilets.

Guest makapaka
On 13/10/2019 at 14:20, ECCOnoob said:

I am not seeing the problem here.    If, as I have said before, you are in the very unfortunate position of having some medical condition that leaves you caught short then they should have no reason for feel uncomfortable about using a pub or bar facility.   I doubt they would be many staff who would take issue over a genuine medical need. 

They are already spending monies on ensuring that a number of private facilities are freely open and accessible to all public without any reason to feel uncomfortable about not purchasing anything.   

Absolutely- it’s moaning for moanings sake.

ive never ever ever been in town and worried about going to the loo. 

The council could pour money into toilets, which will doubtless be abused because they can’t be supervised 24hrs, then clean them and then repair them - or you could walk into Wetherspoons, Costa, McDonald’s wherever, who have a dedicated cleaner and which isn’t coming out of your council tax.

theres a reason there aren’t any council toilets anymore - they’re not necessary.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Absolutely- it’s moaning for moanings sake.

ive never ever ever been in town and worried about going to the loo. 

The council could pour money into toilets, which will doubtless be abused because they can’t be supervised 24hrs, then clean them and then repair them - or you could walk into Wetherspoons, Costa, McDonald’s wherever, who have a dedicated cleaner and which isn’t coming out of your council tax.

theres a reason there aren’t any council toilets anymore - they’re not necessary.

Absolutely.  All those who want public toilets on every street corner 24/7 please offer to pay a voluntary council tax levy to finance said provision.