Why are there no public toilets in sheffield?

12 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I was in the library a few weeks ago. The toilets were mostly working.

I thought the Sheffield Central Library had closed and was the subject of a rejected bid to turn it into Sheffield's first 5 star hotel?  

16 hours ago, Groose said:

Nope you don't have to pay to use the L.A.V.S toilets.

Forgot to mention that John Lewis is part of the scheme as well.

I like the toilets in John Lewis I must admit.  If I'm in Sheffield City Centre and need to use the loo, it's the first place I think of going.  They are clean and hygienic, well-maintained and Never knowingly undercold.  

4 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I thought the Sheffield Central Library had closed and was the subject of a rejected bid to turn it into Sheffield's first 5 star hotel?  

It is very much still open.

I actually went to the Graves Art Gallery in the top floor. Well worth half an hour of your time when you are in town.

Graves art gallery and library is still very much open thank Gawd - interesting Richard Hamilton exhib is on there until almost the end of the month - he was influenced by Marcel Duchamp of the infamous urinal art found object ... there thats my link back to the subject of toilets 😜

I guess the traders in Orchard Square no longer want the responsibility of maintaining and paying for the toilets.  My ever decreasing visits to the city centre usually involve some shopping or a visit to the Central Library,  and all the large stores, the library and the Millennium galleries/Winter Gardens have loos.   I try and avoid Marks, as Autumn says there's usually a queue, plus the toilets in there smell weird! Horribly weird.

On 03/10/2019 at 19:50, ECCOnoob said:

Are you joking?

John Lewis has toilets.   Its a 3 minute walk away.  

Marks and Spencer is even nearer being just a 2 minute walk away. 

If the said person is so desprate that they cannot even manage that - Im sure they can nip into one of the four food and drink venues which are attached to the Orchard Square complex and use the facilities there.     Costa / Starbucks / The Museum and All Bar One will all have toilet facilities.

If they are even more desprate and really cannot manage then quite frankly they need medical assistance not more toilets.

You really are trying to find a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.     THAT is rediculous.

You just don't  get it do you? Maybe you will one day when it happens to you.

Most of these people who are crying out for public toilets ARE having medical treatment and the lack of public toilets just don't  help.

As for using the four eating places, most eating places object to using their premises  without you ordering food/drink. OK you buy a drink then you're  back to square one.

Barnsley's the place to go , they're more civilised  there, plenty of toilets without having to visit shops you don't  really  want to go in.

3 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

You just don't  get it do you? Maybe you will one day when it happens to you.

Most of these people who are crying out for public toilets ARE having medical treatment and the lack of public toilets just don't  help.

As for using the four eating places, most eating places object to using their premises  without you ordering food/drink. OK you buy a drink then you're  back to square one.

Barnsley's the place to go , they're more civilised  there, plenty of toilets without having to visit shops you don't  really  want to go in.

Oh really.    Prey tell where these "plenty of toilets" are.   Let's do some comparing shall we.

Personally I don’t really see why shops, cafes, pubs etc should have to provide toilet facilities to people that are not customers. There should be adequate public toilets in city centres.  I don’t even mind paying a small charge to use them if this means the toilets will be clean and well maintained. 

16 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh really.    Prey tell where these "plenty of toilets" are.   Let's do some comparing shall we.

You don't  have to prey, just take a site visit yourself

9 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

You don't  have to prey, just take a site visit yourself

No no.  We are not playing that game. 

I have given you details of where toilet facilities are located in Sheffield in the areas under discussion and given information  and locations of all the privately owned but freely publicly accesible loos run through the council funded LAVS scheme.

Now, you are the one who has boldly stated that "....Barnsley's the place to go , they're more civilised  there, plenty of toilets without having to visit shops you don't  really  want to go in..."      So, go on then.   Where are all these "plenty of toliets".    How many exactly.

Public Toilets in Barnsley Town Centre :

Cheapside.  ( Disabled access only )

Peel Street / Square.

Alhambra Centre.

New Market.

Bus Station.

Train Station.

Public Library.

These are all within a short walking distance of each other.

5 hours ago, francypants said:

Public Toilets in Barnsley Town Centre :

Cheapside.  ( Disabled access only )

Peel Street / Square.

Alhambra Centre.

New Market.

Bus Station.

Train Station.

Public Library.

These are all within a short walking distance of each other.

Thank you - that's helped get to the bottom of it (...no pun intended).  

Clearly based upon that little list, the submissions by Jaffa1 are complete nonsense.   It hardly demonstrates that Barnsley is somehow superior in their facility provision.

Notwithstanding the fact that Barnsley is small town centre compared to a large city - Sheffield ALSO has toilets in their library, train station, bus station and Market hall.  So, no point scored there.  

Yes -  Sheffield may not have a large central Shopping Mall like the Alhambra but we do have four major department stores - three of which are signed up to the council funded LAVS scheme and whose toilets are freely open for public use irrelevant of whether you are a customer or not.  Once again, no point there.

Ultimately, both places (as with so many other cities) provide ample provision within a "short walking distance" from where ever someone may be.   

Add on all the offices, cinemas, leisure facilities, restaurants, cafes and bars that an average person visting the city may at some point pass through - then there is even more provision.

I simply do not accept that a legitimate visitor to the city will not have multiple opportunity to go to a toilet during seveal points in their time here.   Nowhere in this city is their a point in which a loo (either private or public) is not a couple of minutes away. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

A visitor to sheffield shouldn’t need to seek out toilets in a far corner of a department store or sneak into a cafe or pub. I still don’t believe that businesses should be the primary public toilet provider in a city centre for people that are not customers. For one thing, it means that genuine customers may well have to put up with manky toilets and/or have to queue because they are being overused.