Why are there no public toilets in sheffield?

They have had hundreds of millions of £ cit , so hardly surpising toilets were an early sacrifice. just do some planning or there are plenty of pubs, coffee shops and fast food places you can use.

---------- Post added 05-10-2016 at 20:57 ----------

where are the winter gardens ?

http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/dms-connect/search?dms=3&c1=front&venue=1587927

Over the last few months I have been doing quite a bit more walking around Sheffield than I have in some time. One of the things I have noticed is that there seem to be quite a few people sleeping rough.

Places I have seen them include along the length of the Canal, Graves Park, Weston park, the cemetery on cemetery road, several doorways in the buildings around the cathedral and on the grass in front of the cathedral, tents on the grass on Nursery street and also in Crooks park and many more places including York, Rotherham, Chesterfield, seemingly everywhere

I wonder where the public toilets are that they use

Sheffield until few years ago had quite a few public toilets but some were in a right state anyone remember the smelly ones at the bottom of the Moor or Meadowhead one the roof was falling in it would have cost a fortune to sort out cuts or no cuts wasn't worth the expense.

They have had hundreds of millions of £ cit , so hardly surpising toilets were an early sacrifice. just do some planning or there are plenty of pubs, coffee shops and fast food places you can use.

---------- Post added 05-10-2016 at 20:57 ----------

http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/dms-connect/search?dms=3&c1=front&venue=1587927

The Winter gardens themselves don't have a public toilet, even on the website it doesn't state it on the Facilities (bottom of the page you linked)

Do people just go into these shops (as listed) to use the toilet?

I can't imagine they'll keep them open if it's commonplace.

Over the last few months I have been doing quite a bit more walking around Sheffield than I have in some time. One of the things I have noticed is that there seem to be quite a few people sleeping rough.

Places I have seen them include along the length of the Canal, Graves Park, Weston park, the cemetery on cemetery road, several doorways in the buildings around the cathedral and on the grass in front of the cathedral, tents on the grass on Nursery street and also in Crooks park and many more places including York, Rotherham, Chesterfield, seemingly everywhere

I wonder where the public toilets are that they use

I live in Chesterfield I agree their has been an increase of rough sleepers , some hang around the derelict Court building on West Bars not far from the Market Place . A while back two tents appeared in front of the building also down Brampton in a park. Many Sheffield homeless will be roughing it in the derelict buildings around the city. Iv spoken to a few homeless people one of their main problems is keeping clean when public toilets were open many of them used them to wash themselves but non I knew sleep in them a bit too risky. What few public toilets their is requires payment they don't have the money to get in.

I live in Chesterfield I agree their has been an increase of rough sleepers , some hang around the derelict Court building on West Bars not far from the Market Place . A while back two tents appeared in front of the building also down Brampton in a park. Many Sheffield homeless will be roughing it in the derelict buildings around the city. Iv spoken to a few homeless people one of their main problems is keeping clean when public toilets were open many of them used them to wash themselves but non I knew sleep in them a bit too risky. What few public toilets their is requires payment they don't have the money to get in.

Yes I remember the toilets at Pond Street and at Fitzalan Square, where you could get a "wash and brush up" for a small fee. Then again there were lots that were never looked after properly like the one on the corner of Blonk Street and Castlegate, As someone pointed out you can go in shops and bars etc, but years ago when the pubs shut during the afternoon, there weren't too many places to go. Castle Market had some though, which was OK if you were boozing in that area, prior to closing time

Edited by TORONTONY

http://www.archerproject.org.uk/how-we-help.php

The Archer project at the back of the cathedral has facilities for showering, clean clothes etc for people who are on the streets.

---------- Post added 06-10-2016 at 06:57 ----------

where are the winter gardens ?

They are down the escalator at the back of the Millennium Galleries.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

....anyone remember the smelly ones at the bottom of the Moor....

They are still stinking years after closing

Sheffield until few years ago had quite a few public toilets but some were in a right state anyone remember the smelly ones at the bottom of the Moor or Meadowhead one the roof was falling in it would have cost a fortune to sort out cuts or no cuts wasn't worth the expense.

Does anyone remember the ones at Fitzallen Square ?

The main reason why public toilets are closing at the moment is because the government has cut the central grant to councils massively since 2010, and frozen Council Tax, forcing the council to make savage cuts to its spending, whilst trying to protect core services. There is actually no statutory duty for a council to provide public toilets, so off they go.