Bus hits parked car and I'm expected to pay excess

This is how some cheaper insurance companies limit overheads. You pay the excess now and when the other party pays the cost of repair, you get it back.

Its pretty standard for all insurance companies, not just cheap ones. The only reason not to have an excess is if the policyholder had paid a higher premium.

Its pretty standard for all insurance companies, not just cheap ones. The only reason not to have an excess is if the policyholder had paid a higher premium.

Not my current insurer. When I was hit my another driver, who accepted liability immediately I did not have to pay a penny.

I have had this experience with cheap insurers but not the more expensive ones. You get what you pay for. If one insurer is 200% cheaper than the next for the same cover, there has to be areas of the service that make it cheaper.

Not my current insurer. When I was hit my another driver, who accepted liability immediately I did not have to pay a penny.

I have had this experience with cheap insurers but not the more expensive ones. You get what you pay for. If one insurer is 200% cheaper than the next for the same cover, there has to be areas of the service that make it cheaper.

It's more than a decade since I passed my test. A few years ago it was deemed illegal to charge young men higher premiums on the basis of sex alone (an odd judgement because they 'discriminate' in many other ways...)

Did any of the younger and newer male drivers notice a decrease in premiums? Girls, did yours go up in price?

Then you are paying the extra for having no excess and your insurer would charge you a lower premium of you accpeted an excess. You do indeed get what you pay for. Thats the whole point of this thread. The OP has got a policy where he agreed to deal with the first £x of any claim, but it hasnt registered with him.

Then you are paying the extra for having no excess and your insurer would charge you a lower premium of you accpeted an excess. You do indeed get what you pay for. Thats the whole point of this thread. The OP has got a policy where he agreed to deal with the first £x of any claim, but it hasnt registered with him.

I have an excess on my insurance.

---------- Post added 05-10-2016 at 12:58 ----------

It's more than a decade since I passed my test. A few years ago it was deemed illegal to charge young men higher premiums on the basis of sex alone (an odd judgement because they 'discriminate' in many other ways...)

Did any of the younger and newer male drivers notice a decrease in premiums? Girls, did yours go up in price?

I dont know what this has to do with me or my comments.

Berberis, both 999tigger and you are right, but I fear you're not one the same wavelength.

The premium will invariably vary up and down according to how much of an excess the insured consents to, with 'no excess' = highest premium level.

You didn't in that case, because the other party was at fault and admitted it immediately: the other party will have paid their excess to their insurer.

If you'd been at fault instead, you'd have paid the excess to your insurer (and nothing further in either case).

Perhaps the other party would still have had to pay their excess, perhaps not: there are insurers who require that you pay your excess first, and most insurers will require it to be paid regardless if the claim process is started before the fault has been attributed to a party (i.e. if the fault has not yet been admitted/determined).

That's how excesses usually work :)

Edited by L00b

I have an excess on my insurance.

---------- Post added 05-10-2016 at 12:58 ----------

I dont know what this has to do with me or my comments.

Alright chuck, was just wondering. You mentioned some premiums cost more than others. It's all to do with the formulae they use to generate premiums all of which obviously 'discriminate' based on different factors. Otherwise all like-for-like policies would cost the same, no?

You didn't in that case, because the other party was at fault and admitted it immediately: the other party will have paid their excess to their insurer.

But ....

Bus hit my car pretty much written off and my insurance expect me to pay £250 excess even though bus driver admits liability is this right

So in my case I was not charged the excess because the other party admitted fault, however the OP is required to pay the excess even though the 3rd party (Bus driver in this case) also admits fault.

Your point falls apart unless admitting fault from my point of view is different to admitting fault in the OP's.

Bus hit my car pretty much written off and my insurance expect me to pay £250 excess even though bus driver admits liability is this right

All sorted after long argument there's no excess and my ncb is protected aswell

Alright chuck, was just wondering. You mentioned some premiums cost more than others. It's all to do with the formulae they use to generate premiums all of which obviously 'discriminate' based on different factors. Otherwise all like-for-like policies would cost the same, no?

Thats not really the case as the hundreds of insurers you can use are generally unwritten by only a handful of companies. What is different is the level of service and their cost base.

Think of insurance as any product. A box of Shreddies will cost you more if you buy it from Waitrose compared to Lidl. The product will be the same but the experience will be very different.

Edited by Berberis

Your point falls apart unless admitting fault from my point of view is different to admitting fault in the OP's.
My point is precisely that insurance contracts are not template-standard across all insurers, your mileage varies according to the specifics of your contract with your own insurer :rolleyes:

But ....

So in my case I was not charged the excess because the other party admitted fault, however the OP is required to pay the excess even though the 3rd party (Bus driver in this case) also admits fault.

I would need to look at your policy and listen to the explanation from your insurer to ascertain why the excess (if there was one) was not requested from you.

An insurer could waive it and pay in full or they may get the full amount directly from the other persons insurer and merely passed it onto you.

It still remains a fact an excess represent the amount of risk you agree to deal with yourself and the insurer charges you accordingly. This is standard practice by all insurers. If you choose not to have one then they charge you more than someone who chooses to accpet one.

The point doesnt fall apart because the insurer gets to use their discretion, not all insurers respond the same.

You dont know what the response of the other insurer is.

You dont know what their policy says.

Any one of those reasons can account for a different outcome.

---------- Post added 05-10-2016 at 13:41 ----------

Not really that odd its to do with sex discrimination. They just cant use gender and will have to use the other deciding factors to get where they wnat to go.

This should have favoured men more , but generally whats happened is the premium levels have melded and everyones have increased due to other factors anyway.