Johnny Spitzer, Manager of the Empire Theatre

Johnny Spitzer was manager of the Empire Theatre in Sheffield during the 1950s. The Empire closed in 1959 and Johnny died far too young, in his room in the Grand Hotel in 1971. Did he work anywhere else after the Empire closed?

Spoiler

Hi

I hope you don't mind me replying to this so late! There is an article in  The Stage, dated Thursday 04 February 1965, which reports Johnny recovering from a road accident at his residence in the Grand Hotel. His job title is given as "Provincial Press Representative of Moss Empires", so it appears that he was still working for the same concern.

It must have been a very sad time for him, from the closing of the Empire until his passing in 1971, as all the things he loved were in decline. My mother, who knew Johnny as she worked as a waitress in the Grand Hotel, always said that it was the condemning of the Grand Hotel that finished him off.

Jason

Edited by Jason210