Takeaways, chip shops, coffee shops etc..responsible for obesity?

Did you actually drive past the chip shop or are you like me and a big portion of chips and a kebab ... fell into your car as you went past... honest.

Is that burger chap still outside Hicks?

Only place I know of where I could get a cornflake tart like we had at school.

Is that burger chap still outside Hicks?

Only place I know of where I could get a cornflake tart like we had at school.

John's van? Sure it's still there. Don't use it myself any more, but same guy running it and I don't think much has changed.

John's van? Sure it's still there. Don't use it myself any more, but same guy running it and I don't think much has changed.
Pah! Everybody knows there's only one place in the whole of South Yorkshire that makes the best burgers. Popeyes in Ruvrum. And they're fairly exclusive as well, being time-limited with conditions attached: the best burgers only come out (i) after chuck-out time and (ii) if you've had a proper skinful! :hihi:

Any other time and/or condition, and I'm not sure that they're even safe for animal consumption...and don't take the mick about Ruvrum, I'm still barred from just about the whole of Sheffield's nightlife spots, so not much choice :( (claim to fame: that wrecked, I was refused entry at the Leadmill...yes, really!)

Edited by L00b

Aparantly the meat and chips come free with the salad........ £4.50 for a salad! There.....my point is proven!

Yeah, thanks for that - I'm now jonesing for a kebab - I've been clean for months!!!!!

Cheap food is packed with fats and sugars to mask the poor quality of the ingredients and make it taste of something.

All processed food is loaded with sugar, even savoury things that you would never think did. Even bread has it in it. This is where the education should come in; that, and making the food processors cut out the sugar (like Jamie Oliver is petitioning for,) but the food lobbyists have the government over a barrel as per usual so that won't happen.

Sugar is added to bread because the yeast won't make it rise without it... :roll:

I think one of the problems is time. When you've spent all day at work o you really want to come home and start cooking from scratch?

I've done it and not sat down till turned 9.0 clock at night. And that's before any housework gets done, (that's saved for the weekend...) It's exhausting.

You can't blame someone for reaching for a ready meal or a takaway. And kids are so fussy these days with some parents having to cook 3 separate meals to please everyone. Daft.

Cooking from scratch...

Chicken, grill, 25 mins.

Salad, chop, 5 mins.

Baked potato microwave 4 mins, oven 20 mins.

Sweet potato wedges, 20 mins.

Frozen veg, 3 minutes.

Okay, none of that is courdon bleu, but it's all perfectly good food, cooked from 'scratch'. You don't need oven chips and a microwaved burger, washed down with a beer every evening. And it's quicker than ordering a Chinese from hungryhouse.

Let's not beat around the bush here. I'm convinced by the arguments put forward now...

It's Theresa's fault that I'm overweight. She should've sorted it out by now and come round to re-educate me and stop me liking bacon. mmm bacon.

I think one of the problems is time. When you've spent all day at work o you really want to come home and start cooking from scratch?

I've done it and not sat down till turned 9.0 clock at night. And that's before any housework gets done, (that's saved for the weekend...) It's exhausting.

You can't blame someone for reaching for a ready meal or a takaway. And kids are so fussy these days with some parents having to cook 3 separate meals to please everyone. Daft.

rubbish!!!! a stir fry takes minutes, fill with veg, noodles, chicken easy, and as for fussy kids well if they dont eat it they go hungry:roll::roll:

Cooking from scratch...

Chicken, grill, 25 mins.

Salad, chop, 5 mins.

Baked potato microwave 4 mins, oven 20 mins.

Sweet potato wedges, 20 mins.

Frozen veg, 3 minutes.

Okay, none of that is courdon bleu, but it's all perfectly good food, cooked from 'scratch'. You don't need oven chips and a microwaved burger, washed down with a beer every evening. And it's quicker than ordering a Chinese from hungryhouse.

A packet of cheap frozen burgers and oven chips would have been cheaper and done more than 1 meal. It wouldn't have been as healthy though.

The burgers can usually be found in the 2 for 1 section too.

Wheat is cheap. If it were not for cheap wheat a billion people would have starved to death. The chap who invented cheap wheat won the nobel prize for it and quite right too. If you're not going to give the nobel peace prize to a guy who saved a billion lives then what is it for?

Trouble is that wheat is pretty empty carbs, and you can pad almost anything with it. Including meat. The difference between cheap meat and good meat, apart from the bacterial recovery system which extracts pink (sort of technically meat) slime from carcasses: added wheat.

Anyway. You can regulate to stop them making meat cheap by adding lots of wheat. If you're sure, and I mean really, really life-betting sure, that you aren't going to leave poor people hungry as a result. Don't think you can get away with doing it blind and then try to blame somebody else for not giving them extra money to pay for the meat you made unaffordable for them.

Wheat is cheap. If it were not for cheap wheat a billion people would have starved to death. The chap who invented cheap wheat won the nobel prize for it and quite right too. If you're not going to give the nobel peace prize to a guy who saved a billion lives then what is it for?

Trouble is that wheat is pretty empty carbs, and you can pad almost anything with it. Including meat. The difference between cheap meat and good meat, apart from the bacterial recovery system which extracts pink (sort of technically meat) slime from carcasses: added wheat.

Anyway. You can regulate to stop them making meat cheap by adding lots of wheat. If you're sure, and I mean really, really life-betting sure, that you aren't going to leave poor people hungry as a result. Don't think you can get away with doing it blind and then try to blame somebody else for not giving them extra money to pay for the meat you made unaffordable for them.

Very good point.