Why do so many people still speed when driving?

That is how it should work, the good drivers avoid fines and points and can go a little faster; the poor drivers that make mistakes need to drive to the limit 24/7

That reads a little like, "I'm a good driver so can drive a little faster; I'm a great driver, I don't need to wear a seatbelt; I'm a fantastic driver, I can have another pint (look at my fantastic dancing now that I've had that pint).

The ONE thing that is certain within a driving context is that drivers rate themselves above average.

There's a simple answer to the question about why people speed.

They drive fast because they enjoy it.

Nah...

They drive fast because they are impatient!

That reads a little like, "I'm a good driver so can drive a little faster; I'm a great driver, I don't need to wear a seatbelt; I'm a fantastic driver, I can have another pint (look at my fantastic dancing now that I've had that pint).

If a speeding fine resulted in a short ban, drivers would drive slower; the system we have now gives them 3/4 chances. Does it really make a difference to a wealthy person to pay a £50 fine and £100 extra on their insurance?

Nah...

They drive fast because they are impatient!

Or they enjoy it, or they aren't concentrating, or they are in a rush, or they think the limit is set too low and probably other reasons as well.

To imagine that everyone who speeds does so for one reason is ludicrous. You might as well say that all cyclists who run red lights are lazy. :roll:

---------- Post added 16-10-2016 at 10:50 ----------

Not many tractors in built-up areas where the speed limit is 30mph.

We aren't only (or mainly) talking about 30 limits are we?

I hardly ever overtake in a 30 zone, I regularly overtake in 50/NSL zones.

If a speeding fine resulted in a short ban, drivers would drive slower; the system we have now gives them 3/4 chances. Does it really make a difference to a wealthy person to pay a £50 fine and £100 extra on their insurance?

I believe it's £120 fine for speeding now days

they speed because they consider they know better than the road planners as to what speed is the correct one to drive at.

its arrogance

The road planners who reduced the speed of the A57 from Rivelin Valley to the Ladybower to 50mph from NSL against the conclusion of the report they'd commissioned? Those planners?

And the ones who 'always meant' to make Penistone Road a 40mph zone, but 'ran out of funding' to pass the necessary order. And then put up a speed camera to enforce the 30 zone... Those planners?

Modern cars are more comfortable and smoother, perhaps this plays a part.

Imagine going 100 in a 30 year old bone rattler !

Or an even older 42 year old 'bone rattler' such as this, or an even older 60 year old one of these (still considered one of the best designed suspensions ever).

It dosnt matter what colour they are painted. Everybody knows where they are anyway . And if you are driving somewhere you arnt familiar with, Sat Navs alert you to them anyway so you can slow down .

Actually, not everyone has a SatNav. On a broader point, neither my wife nor myself break the speed limit on purpose, but we both agree that in actual fact, the kind of driver who habitually speeds is probably less likely to get caught by the kind of speed cameras they than a law abiding motorist. The reason is the speeders put a lot of their concentration into looking for speed cameras (concentration, it must be said, they should be putting into driving safely....) whereas the rest of us don`t do that because we habitually stick to the limit. The only amswer is to make speed cameras impossible to see, which would also increase their effectiveness. I cannot imgine why they`re made so obvious*. By definition it means that speed cameras are far less likely to reduce speeding on the road network as a whole.

* Actually I can, the motorist lobby, more precisely a certain section of the motorist lobby, make an inordinate amount of noise. It`s out of all proportion to their numbers. Read any thread on any forum about motoring and you`ll soon see I`m right.

Edited by Justin Smith

Most sat navs don't have alerts for speed cameras anyway.

---------- Post added 17-10-2016 at 07:30 ----------

Actually, not everyone has a SatNav. On a broader point, neither my wife nor myself break the speed limit on purpose, but we both agree that in actual fact, the kind of driver who habitually speeds is probably less likely to get caught by the kind of speed cameras they than a law abiding motorist. The reason is the speeders put a lot of their concentration into looking for speed cameras (concentration, it must be said, they should be putting into driving safely....) whereas the rest of us don`t do that because we habitually stick to the limit. The only amswer is to make speed cameras impossible to see, which would also increase their effectiveness. I cannot imgine why they`re made so obvious*. By definition it means that speed cameras are far less likely to reduce speeding on the road network as a whole.

* Actually I can, the motorist lobby, more precisely a certain section of the motorist lobby, make an inordinate amount of noise. It`s out of all proportion to their numbers. Read any thread on any forum about motoring and you`ll soon see I`m right.

You cannot imagine why a device that is supposed to reduce speed at a specific accident blackspot might be made obvious to see?

... or an even older 60 year old one of these (still considered one of the best designed suspensions ever).

One of the best looking cars ever made :thumbsup:

Most sat navs don't have alerts for speed cameras anyway.

Aren't they illegal in some countries anyway?

Aren't they illegal in some countries anyway?

Not sure, the detector ones definitely can be.