Why do so many people still speed when driving?

To balance that, speed limits are entirely arbitrary and in many cases have been lowered with no justification in the recent past.

For example the A57 towards the snake pass on the Sheffield side of the boundary had the limit lowered despite the council commissioned report on the issue saying that there were no reasons to reduce the limit.

Campaigners want the limit on sections of the A57 Manchester Road through Crosspool(with a population of 7,000) to be changed from 40mph to 30mph.

Read more at: http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/transport/call-to-cut-speed-limit-on-busy-a57-road-in-sheffield-1-7737115

To balance that, speed limits are entirely arbitrary and in many cases have been lowered with no justification in the recent past.

For example the A57 towards the snake pass on the Sheffield side of the boundary had the limit lowered despite the council commissioned report on the issue saying that there were no reasons to reduce the limit.

That is true, some limits are unrealistic and politicians are always trying to get them lowered so they can be seen to be "doing something".

On the other hand I was in N Yorks recently and a road barely (I would guess) 8 ft wide (2.5 metres?) was signposted as the national limit on single carriageways - 60mph! (96kph?)

Campaigners want the limit on sections of the A57 Manchester Road through Crosspool(with a population of 7,000) to be changed from 40mph to 30mph.

Read more at: http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/transport/call-to-cut-speed-limit-on-busy-a57-road-in-sheffield-1-7737115

Probably valid.

But I'm quite clearly talking about the section that was changed from NSL to 50 explicitly against the recommendations of the report the council commissioned.

Probably valid.

But I'm quite clearly talking about the section that was changed from NSL to 50 explicitly against the recommendations of the report the council commissioned.

There are places around schools that are getting their limits changed to 20mph, I do generally support this, but I think more could be done on road safety.

Yellow zig zags outside of schools are now limited, so 8.30-9am and 2.30/3pm, perhaps speed limits should be time limited too, maybe no over taking?

Should speed limits be increased on motorways when they are quiet, some motorways have lower variable speed limits, maybe it should work the other way too.

There's a simple answer to the question about why people speed.

They drive fast because they enjoy it.

There are places around schools that are getting their limits changed to 20mph, I do generally support this, but I think more could be done on road safety.

Yellow zig zags outside of schools are now limited, so 8.30-9am and 2.30/3pm, perhaps speed limits should be time limited too, maybe no over taking?

Should speed limits be increased on motorways when they are quiet, some motorways have lower variable speed limits, maybe it should work the other way too.

No overtaking.

That'd be great when following a tractor.

or a cyclist (while still maintaining a safe distance from them)

Modern cars are more comfortable and smoother, perhaps this plays a part.

Imagine going 100 in a 30 year old bone rattler !

No overtaking.

That'd be great when following a tractor.

Not many tractors in built-up areas where the speed limit is 30mph.

Modern cars are more comfortable and smoother, perhaps this plays a part.

Imagine going 100 in a 30 year old bone rattler !

This is a good point.

......... perhaps speed limits should be time limited too, .......

Watching how your average driver cannot understand Bus Lane time limitations, you shouldn't hold your breath.

Watching how your average driver cannot understand Bus Lane time limitations, you shouldn't hold your breath.

That is how it should work, the good drivers avoid fines and points and can go a little faster; the poor drivers that make mistakes need to drive to the limit 24/7