What is the purpose of the UN

as far as I know the un are supposed to be the peace keepers of the world , but all I seem to read , hear , is that the un are unhappy with this or that and countries or governments should be held to account but nothing changes . So what is the point of having a UN ?

as far as I know the un are supposed to be the peace keepers of the world , but all I seem to read , hear , is that the un are unhappy with this or that and countries or governments should be held to account but nothing changes . So what is the point of having a UN ?

The UN Charter sets out four main purposes: Maintaining worldwide peace and security. Developing relations among nations. Fostering cooperation between nations in order to solve economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian international problems.

It helps if you read up on the UN and learn about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/country_profiles/3159028.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwone/league_nations_01.shtml

It has very limited powers of its own and can only function with the assistance of the member countries. If they dont wnat to assist then the UN is powerless. You cant balme the UN instead you should look at the members whio make it impossible to carry out its duties.

The alternative is to have nothing and nations wont talk to each other. Sometimes it works.

Edited by 999tigger

The UN needs reform at the least. To begin with,I never understood why it was based in the USA. It's a politically corrupt Organization, and is at the behest of security council nations and vetoes.. in recent years it seems to be more of a tool for use for NATO Interventions in various parts of the world.

Edited by WestTinsley

Don't they have vast issues with wasting money as well?

The purpose of the UN is to prevent a third World war.

The UN needs reform at the least. To begin with,I never understood why it was based in the USA. It's a politically corrupt Organization, and is at the behest of security council nations and vetoes.. in recent years it seems to be more of a tool for use for NATO Interventions in various parts of the world.

Only the members can reform it, which means there has to be the political will to do so.

It does a lot of other work on less contentious issues.

It was based in the USA as a result of a vote at the end of WW2 when it was being set up. Europe was in a mess due to WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headquarters_of_the_United_Nations

Europeans and Canada wanted it in Europe, everyone else voted NY (including Russia and China). It would cost billions to relocate now. Who would want to host it? Which city could afford to and provide all the additional services?

---------- Post added 29-09-2016 at 08:56 ----------

Don't they have vast issues with wasting money as well?

The UN is dependent on its members for funding. If they dont pay then they cant afford to do anything.

The purpose of the UN is to prevent a third World war.

¿ I remember well how the UN's predecessor, the League of Nations, set up after the first world war with exactly the same purpose, was so instrumental in preventing the second world war. ¿

I thought exactly the same last night when i was watching Ban Ki-Moon on channel 4 news condemning Russia's bombing in Syria.

If there is a country in the world who doesn't care what anyone thinks about them, its Russia.

Russia only understands action but you cant mess with them. They do what they like and have all of Europes oil.

¿ I remember well how the UN's predecessor, the League of Nations, set up after the first world war with exactly the same purpose, was so instrumental in preventing the second world war. ¿

We haven't had a third World war, which indicates it has been a success so far. The veto the five permanent members have, is widely thought to be one of the main reasons there hasn't been a third World war.

So whats your point?

The UN still remains just an organisaion run by the members. It can only work as well as the members want it to. Dont blame the UN. If you velieve theres an organisation that could do a better job, then what is it? It requires political will and money to get anywhere and that is in the hands of the members.

---------- Post added 29-09-2016 at 10:12 ----------

I thought exactly the same last night when i was watching Ban Ki-Moon on channel 4 news condemning Russia's bombing in Syria.

If there is a country in the world who doesn't care what anyone thinks about them, its Russia.

Russia only understands action but you cant mess with them. They do what they like and have all of Europes oil.

They do care actually. What would be your altnernative?

We haven't had a third World war, which indicates it has been a success so far. The veto the five permanent members have, is widely thought to be one of the main reasons there hasn't been a third World war.

I think MAD is the reason we haven't had a third world war yet.

I think MAD is the reason we haven't had a third world war yet.

A valid point. Thank you for the link.