Traffic Netherthorpe Road/Upper Hanover Street

I've been on holiday for 10 days and returning to work this week I have found that traffic on my usual route to work in the morning is extremely heavy, travelling from Shalesmoor up Netherthorpe Road towards the University roundabout. The traffic seems to be backed up all the way over the roundabout onto Upper Hanover Street, where I would normally go. I've ended up turning right onto the A57 and taking a circuitous route to work, which takes a fair bit longer than usual.

Does anyone know why this is the case and is the traffic backed up all the way along Upper Hanover Street and Hanover Way towards the roundabout by Waitrose?

I've been on holiday for 10 days and returning to work this week I have found that traffic on my usual route to work in the morning is extremely heavy, travelling from Shalesmoor up Netherthorpe Road towards the University roundabout. The traffic seems to be backed up all the way over the roundabout onto Upper Hanover Street, where I would normally go. I've ended up turning right onto the A57 and taking a circuitous route to work, which takes a fair bit longer than usual.

Does anyone know why this is the case and is the traffic backed up all the way along Upper Hanover Street and Hanover Way towards the roundabout by Waitrose?

The last week and this week so far have been absolutely dreadful around here.

students and roadworks

It's been much worse this year. And the roadworks up Western Bank shouldn't affect things that much as 2 lanes are still open in the day.

The roads closures on Leavygreave (x2) and Favell, mean a lot of people are taking new routes. I highlighted this in another thread about them... see link in this post

Going down Netherthorpe is definitely worse, I know the lights here and they've been altered. The new signal sequence holds Hoyle St up too long (probably changed due to the tram crash report, or because if Shalesmoor/Moorfields fills up, it slows down the clockwise rate around the Corporation St area).

I've also noticed that they've also altered the timing on the inbound Penistone Road around Tanfield and Bastock, though I only notice it on Sundays. This creates a pointless traffic jam from Leppings Lane right to Parkside Road.

I've been travelling this route for 5 years and this is the worst it's ever been. The start of my journey takes me down Leppings Lane and Parkside as well. :(

I've been travelling this route for 5 years and this is the worst it's ever been. The start of my journey takes me down Leppings Lane and Parkside as well. :(

My goodness, I thought the other bit of the journey was bad, but this too! :hihi:

I'd get a bike or change jobs pal :D

My goodness, I thought the other bit of the journey was bad, but this too! :hihi:

I'd get a bike or change jobs pal :D

Planning on winning Euromillions on Friday. :D

Yes I agree Is it because of arrival of 50000 students?? Are the Sheffield Universities taking over?:rant:

Yes I agree Is it because of arrival of 50000 students?? Are the Sheffield Universities taking over?:rant:

The huge volume of students trying to cross Upper Hanover Street on crossings narrowed by the roadworks could be having an effect. I walked this way yesterday, and there were so many people trying to get over that they just continued long after the green man had gone. Waiting drivers were understandably not impressed.

If this sections of the roadworks could have been completed outside university term, I think it could have saved a lot of problems. However, it's hard to see how things could be improved here unless a bridge/elevated roadway over the ring road is constructed, and sadly, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Today was relatively quiet, thank goodness. A straight run up Netherthorpe Road to Brook Hill roundabout.