POLICE SEAL MATILDA STREET - Bombs on building site NOW OPEN.

From Sheffield Online

POLICE SEAL MATILDA STREET AFTER POLICE INCIDENT.

Reports of a serious incident on matilda street in Sheffield. We have had several messages mentioninig bombs found in the under the buildings.

David Jaba Hopkins who is working in the area reported:

"Down servicing lifts at the student accommodation of the former gatecrasher site and they found three bombs on building site across road. Waiting for bomb disposal unit to come from Kettering.The police say they may be evacuating area."

did they find/do anything ?

Oddly enough in the history section someone wanted to know where the bombs fell in WW2 we have three more locations to add. I bet their is more given the fact works like Heathcotes were in the area.

Is it causing traffic in town does anyone know? Thanks!

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 16:59 ----------

Oops - cordon has now been lifted - just seen!

My mother/aunts/grandparents lived on Arundel street...where I was born/1948...during the war,and stangely enough she always said a bomb dropped on the road outside but never went off....thought she was telling fibs ..obviously not...;)

My mother/aunts/grandparents lived on Arundel street...where I was born/1948...during the war,and stangely enough she always said a bomb dropped on the road outside but never went off....thought she was telling fibs ..obviously not...;)

My grandma was born on Arundel Street in 1915. Not sure what year they moved though. Strange to look now and imagine housing there.

I would hazard a guess there are many more that are, as yet, undiscovered and are buried underneath existing buildings in the city centre.

I doubt that many or any are still live after 76 years........ but who knows ?

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/1428-map-of-where-bombs-fell-in-sheffield-ww2/

Edited by Daven