Middle Age Spread!!

Hi All,

I need help!!

I'm a very active person, i eat well and exercise regular, i run, swim and go on my cross trainer at least 3 times a week, i walk my dogs every morning and evening for at least an hour.. so i would say quite fit! BUT over the past 5 months or so i have noticed i have grown a 'muffin top'! I weigh 9 stone on a good day and 9 st 3lb on a bad day but my weight has always been consistent from being 20yr old ish..

Is this what middle age spread is or is there something i'm missing? I'm feeling rather fed up :(

I've just packed up sugar altogether to see if I can get any weight off.! I have a sweet tooth so this is hard, so it's goodbye to cakes, pastries, ice cream, and chocolate !:rolleyes:

............sounds like you're all on the sniff?

I recall a dietician saying that for each decade after the age of 40 years a person needs to consume 10% less calories in order to prevent weight gain. Presumably this is because the metabolism slows down, particularly if one is not so active. The implication of this is that if we carry on eating the same amount as before then weight gain will occur i.e. middle age spread. Even if the weight is stable in middle age, perhaps there is a change in body shape, the most noticeable being an increase in waist size.

I've just packed up sugar altogether to see if I can get any weight off.! I have a sweet tooth so this is hard, so it's goodbye to cakes, pastries, ice cream, and chocolate !:rolleyes:

I'm thinking Sugar and Bread need to go :(

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 14:59 ----------

I recall a dietician saying that for each decade after the age of 40 years a person needs to consume 10% less calories in order to prevent weight gain. Presumably this is because the metabolism slows down, particularly if one is not so active. The implication of this is that if we carry on eating the same amount as before then weight gain will occur i.e. middle age spread. Even if the weight is stable in middle age, perhaps there is a change in body shape, the most noticeable being an increase in waist size.

I'm only in my 30's!!!!!!!! :o

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 14:59 ----------

I live very active life with an average of at least an hour of hard excercise each day. i ride mountain bike 3 or 4 days a week as well.

my problem over the past few yrs has been that i have slowly gained weight. it was mainly down to lazyness. eating out etc.

so in June i decided enough was enough so just started to eat heathy again. i have completely stopped drinking at home, and i only go out once a week anyway so very light drinker.

i have stopped even buying bread. so no bread = no sarnies = no butter needed

i have lost 24lbs since June. and am now 5lbs above my weight at 21 (31yrs ago) and are possibly fitter now than i was at 21. so very happy.

only real negative of it all is i have had to buy some belts. (way cheaper than new trousers)

That's a fantastic weight loss, very well done to you :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 15:00 ----------

............sounds like you're all on the sniff?

??? :huh: ???

.........on the sniff!.......on the pull! or other expressions when people are tuning themselves up for attention from the opposite sex! anyway I'll get mi coat!

.........on the sniff!.......on the pull! or other expressions when people are tuning themselves up for attention from the opposite sex! anyway I'll get mi coat!

ASIF!!!!! I'm not bothered about 'pullin' anyone, already got a headache at home! I'm certainly not interested in acquiring another one!!! Be a right migraine :hihi:

Hi All,

I need help!!

I'm a very active person, i eat well and exercise regular, i run, swim and go on my cross trainer at least 3 times a week, i walk my dogs every morning and evening for at least an hour.. so i would say quite fit! BUT over the past 5 months or so i have noticed i have grown a 'muffin top'! I weigh 9 stone on a good day and 9 st 3lb on a bad day but my weight has always been consistent from being 20yr old ish..

Is this what middle age spread is or is there something i'm missing? I'm feeling rather fed up :(

If I begin to put a few extra pounds on around my middle, I find that doing stomach crunches gets rid of it in a matter of 2-3 weeks. I also run 3 times a week.

You sound like you have a very active lifestyle so I wouldn't beat yourself up about this.

Muffin top:D I've acquired a whole 3 tiered wedding cake recently.

Last week I saw a consultant at the Hallamshire, when I mentioned I'd put on a stone in the one month since I'd last seen them, the only comment I got was, well you don't look overweight.

The only way, I'm going to shift it will be hitting the gym a few extra games of tennis and laying off the whipped double cream and berries which can at a rough estimate account for half my daily calorie allowance. It looks like my:partyhat: party's over :(