01142 phone numbers

I think you are confused too, your area number is 0114 not 01143 or 01142 I think you mean your home number begins with 3 and not the usual 2 that most of us have. I believe most new landline numbers now begin with has 3.

I had a number starting with a 3 back in 2010/11 - but lost it when I moved and i'm back on a 2 now... they are mostly for businesses, but if there's no 2's available in the area when you sign up, you'll get a 3

Slightly different I know but when in another town/city have you been asked for your home post code and been told that "S" is incorrect there must be two alpha digits before the numeric digit(s) of the post code, all post codes start with 2 alpha digits i.e. according to them S8 must have an alpha digit between the S and the 8.

I know they are wrong, you know they are wrong but try get them to accept they are wrong

It's not just Sheffield! Several postcode towns have a single letter:

B Birmingham

E East London

G Glasgow

L Liverpool

M Manchester

N North London

W West London

My number was 0742 33**** or 33**** if dialling from Sheffield. It is now 0114 2 33****, or 2 33**** if you're dialling from Sheffield (on a landline).

The 2 was part of the area code, but became part of actual number. The same applies to Leeds numbers, and some other cities I can't remember, about half a dozen in all IIRC.

You can of course still dial the area code from within Sheffield on a landline, which you have to do from a mobile phone anyway.

I have noticed that quite a few businesses in Sheffield are still giving their numbers in print as 01142 xxxxxx. Potential customers may not hnow what to dial.

If they are that illiterate (or innumerate, I suppose), then I tend not to use them in business. It really doesn't show much understanding to begin with.

It makes me laugh and just reinforces the stereotype of stubborn Yorkshirefolk when, 21 years on from Phoneday, people still put the number in this way!

The other cities (Leeds and Bristol to name but two) never had a problem.

My number was 0742 33**** or 33**** if dialling from Sheffield. It is now 0114 2 33****, or 2 33**** if you're dialling from Sheffield (on a landline).

The 2 was part of the area code, but became part of actual number. The same applies to Leeds numbers, and some other cities I can't remember, about half a dozen in all IIRC.

Nah, It was 01742 XXX XX... and they started running out of numbers, so made them 6 digits long....

Then the area code changes, 011X came in, and for a while it was just 0114 XXX XXX

Then, they started running out of numbers again, so added a 2 on the front, and a couple of years later the 3, and recently I have seen a 4 (can't remember where)

So now its 0114 2XX XXXX.... they added the 2 because they were running out of available numbers....

I guess the confusion comes in from older people / businesses who had "01742 XXX XXX" as the phone number, and this eventually changed to "0114 2 XXX XXX" it's only 1 digit...

01742 XXX XXX

0114 2XXX XXX

(01742 was an interim between 0742 and 0114, wasn't around for long as far as i'm aware, as when we (and 4 others) changed to 011X, other places had a 1 added, so 0742 became 01742)

Rotherham was - 0709 now 01709

Edited by Ghozer

Nah, It was 01742 XXX XX... and they started running out of numbers, so made them 6 digits long....

Then the area code changes, 011X came in, and for a while it was just 0114 XXX XXX

Then, they started running out of numbers again, so added a 2 on the front, and a couple of years later the 3, and recently I have seen a 4 (can't remember where)

So now its 0114 2XX XXXX.... they added the 2 because they were running out of available numbers....

Nah

It was 0742 - i still have some business cards printed from before then.

It then became 0114 and the 2 was transposed onto the number (so in reality they changed the 7 to an 11)

Nah

It then became 0114 and the 2 was transposed onto the number (so in reality they changed the 7 to an 11)

I know it was 0742, that was before my time, there was a 'stop gap' for about a year or even less when it became 01742... then changed to 0114

not that they advertised it, but all places had a 1 inserted (like rotherham as I said above) - including Sheffield, then it changed to 0114

---------- Post added 26-09-2016 at 16:05 ----------

And apparantly..

here's where the 2 / 3 and 4 come in to it...

2xx xxxx local numbers transferred from 0742

3xx xxxx new local numbers created by move to 0114 (issued from 2004)

4xx xxxx new local numbers created by move to 0114 (issued from 2010)

0113 Leeds

0114 Sheffield

0115 Nottingham

0116 Leicester

0117 Bristol

0118 Reading

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phili Buster

Slightly different I know but when in another town/city have you been asked for your home post code and been told that "S" is incorrect there must be two alpha digits before the numeric digit(s) of the post code, all post codes start with 2 alpha digits i.e. according to them S8 must have an alpha digit between the S and the 8.

I know they are wrong, you know they are wrong but try get them to accept they are wrong v

B Birmingham

E East London

G Glasgow

L Liverpool

M Manchester

N North London

W West London

This was a question on only connect last week

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

B Birmingham

E East London

G Glasgow

L Liverpool

M Manchester

N North London

W West London

I wonder whether we sneaked the S before S South London caught on to postcodes?

Could make a few quid out of this with a bit of thought :D

Nope. EDIT - back in those days 01 was exclusively used for all London numbers.

Nah

Thanks.

---------- Post added 27-09-2016 at 08:10 ----------

0113 Leeds

0114 Sheffield

0115 Nottingham

0116 Leicester

0117 Bristol

0118 Reading

That's them :thumbsup:

Edited by Monitor