Thorncliffe Park, High Green

Back in the day it used to be lovely down there with crown green bowling, tennis courts, cricket field and football pitches.

Oh I can really believe it. well you can just see what it used to be by the remnants. it's like ecclesfield park there's that sense of what it once was but you can see how it's lost the caring patronage it used to have.

In someways it's probably got a lot to do with the older generation moving away, passing on. There's a big chunk of recent history where the respect for local environs was lost, areas that were probably held up to a standard by locals against the tide of damage by vandals couldn't really cope when the council assistance dwindled as well. If you get my drift.

Maybe having the new facilities might push a few more people to use the park, and lend a hand in its upkeep..

---------- Post added 25-09-2016 at 20:43 ----------

Where was, is thornclife row?

Edited by syne

The mysteries of all of this are - who did the land belong to, did money change hands or was it just handed over, why has al this work happened when planning permission doesn't appear to have been granted ? Why has it all been so hush hush, and what part have Ecclesfield Parish Council played ? Yes the swimming pool was for the community (even though the Parish Council and other neighbours seemed to get work done to their own properties, and be very involved in the promotion). But the Football Academy isn't for the general public. What if planning permission isn't granted, or is it all sorted out with a dodgy handshake.

I am hoping someone more educated and informed than myself can throw some light on this. I did try asking the Parish Council some time ago but got talked down with lots of waffle.

Ermmmm, actually a very, very quick Google shows planning permission was granted back in June and not exactly all done hush hush.... ;)

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/planning-permission-granted-for-fa-football-hub-in-north-sheffield/

Ermmmm, actually a very, very quick Google shows planning permission was granted back in June and not exactly all done hush hush.... ;)

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/planning-permission-granted-for-fa-football-hub-in-north-sheffield/

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O850CWNY0LV00

Says awaiting decision.

There not usually tardy with updating.

I'm pretty sure the FA wouldn't have started building works without the planning permission being granted. ;)

Tis academic either way, it's good to see improvement and investment and I hope it continues to uplift other parts of the area alongside.

The article states that Newton Chambers closed in the early 70's. This is not correct as they had a fabrication shop making large crane booms and jibs in 1976. I worked there for a few months in the summer of that year.

Edited by TORONTONY

I know what you mean it used to be great to take my dog to and play football with my nephews.

It's a shame they have taken so much space and ruined the whole field.

Will the two new football pitches be public or private?

The centre is rubbish as well it's just like they moved the old one to a new area with a bigger gym.

I know what you mean it used to be great to take my dog to and play football with my nephews.

It's a shame they have taken so much space and ruined the whole field.

Will the two new football pitches be public or private?

The centre is rubbish as well it's just like they moved the old one to a new area with a bigger gym.

The football part of it is part of the FA Grass Roots program and will be one of a few around Sheffield.

As for the leisure centre.... I'd have to disagree. Our little lad has swimming lessons and the lessons have improved no end after moving from Chapeltown baths.... They now use their own small learner pool rather than the one main pool that was at Chapeltown. And the equipment used is far better than it was at the old place.

The football part of it is part of the FA Grass Roots program and will be one of a few around Sheffield.

As for the leisure centre.... I'd have to disagree. Our little lad has swimming lessons and the lessons have improved no end after moving from Chapeltown baths.... They now use their own small learner pool rather than the one main pool that was at Chapeltown. And the equipment used is far better than it was at the old place.

The gym is better that is hard to argue with but you can learn to swim anywhere I learnt in a lake while on holiday. But the football pitches are terrible the so called grass routes programme makes people pay to play. I enjoyed taking my nephews and friends for a kick about now where are we supposed to go?

The gym is better that is hard to argue with but you can learn to swim anywhere I learnt in a lake while on holiday. But the football pitches are terrible the so called grass routes programme makes people pay to play. I enjoyed taking my nephews and friends for a kick about now where are we supposed to go?

Ahhh ok i'll just chuck my six year old in the nearest lake then.... It must be safe. :loopy:

Ahhh ok i'll just chuck my six year old in the nearest lake then.... It must be safe. :loopy:

Don't be daft obviously I had my parents there to help but I don't come from this new age where you get a certificate for showing up for class.

So where do we play football? Jumpers for goal posts again? Going backwards not forwards.

The sports centre has enough room it doesn't need empty fields waiting to be used.

Don't be daft obviously I had my parents there to help but I don't come from this new age where you get a certificate for showing up for class.

So where do we play football? Jumpers for goal posts again? Going backwards not forwards.

The sports centre has enough room it doesn't need empty fields waiting to be used.

Swimming lessons are an essential in my opinion. If you are lucky enough to have the ability to teach your kids then great. I could not teach my son how to swim and put him in lessons at Chapeltown when he was 4/5 and he is now a really strong swimmer and swims competitively.