C4 TV Series 'Hunted'

Im just watching the latest episode and Im a bit puzzled by something.

The guy Madu has just boarded a train. He noticed a CCTV camera so bent down behind a few more passengers so it wouldnt pick him up. But what about the person filming him for the show? Surely even if the CCTV didnt spot Madu, it wouldve picked up the cameraman?

The whole thing is somewhat constructed. They mention that they replicate the powers of the state, such as CCTV or automatic number plate recognition.

The people being hunted have a camera person with them as you said, and the makers of the program obviously know where the camera person is, and so therefore know the whereabouts of the people being hunted.

To give an example of how the show is 'constructed', in one episode one of the people wrote a letter to one of their friends with a code in so they could arrange a place to meet.

The makers of the show would not have permission to intercept the mail in reality, and so this would be one of the techniques they have to replicate.

The camera person with the hunted person knew they were writing a letter (indeed it was filmed) and so that information would have been given to the hunters. They then had all the information from the letter and so could catch her.

Whilst this is a state power that they are replicating, it does give the hunters a big advantage. In reality, it would be very unlikely that they would have been intercepting the mail of every one of the hunted persons associates.

I know its all constructed, but its been quite cleverly hidden so far. Tonight with the cameraman (who was actually shown when they caught Madu) was just so blatantly obvious that its actually spoilt the show for me now :(

If the hunters are being paid by Channel4 are they still in other jobs?  If so, how can they do both?

Give some credit to the cameramen to be fair - doing everything that the hunted to whilst hauling a camera about is impressive.

I've seen a few episodes, and it just striked me as bit fake / contrived. I think a lot of reality TV shows are these days, the production crew want to engineer things in order to maximise viewership. Does that make me sound cynical?

Edited by Waldo

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

I've seen a few episodes, and it just striked me as bit fake / contrived. I think a lot of reality TV shows are these days, the production crew want to engineer things in order to maximise viewership. Does that make me sound cynical?

I watched the first series for a while & enjoyed it but then soon realised that when the hunters were trying to find the hunted by scanning the cctv, clearly the give away would be the film & sound crew 5 yards behind in a packed street. 

I'd like to see a celebrity version.  Let them try to find Ray Mars or Bear Grylls?  Let's see how good the Hunters really are? 

Better still let's have all the Z-list celebs out on the run this year, only to break cover in 2030, (like the small number of Japanese soldiers after WWII), to be told, "We cancelled the show in Jan 2020 & stopped looking for you." 

Edited by Baron99