Does anyone recall the Granville Inn ?

Chesterfield had trams until 1922 then trolleybuses until c 1938 . A pub now owned by Brampton brewery on Chatsworth Road is called ' Tramways' not far from the old tram sheds.

Chesterfield had trams until 1922...
.. of which at least one lives on - at Crich Tramway Village. :) According to Wikipedia Chesterfield trams ran until 23 May 1927, then the trolleybuses operated until 24 March 1938.
... A pub now owned by Brampton brewery on Chatsworth Road is called ' Tramways' not far from the old tram sheds.
Sheffield also had a pub called The Tramway. Somehow I can't imagine a pub called The Trolleybus - but who knows? :)

.. of which at least one lives on - at Crich Tramway Village. :) According to Wikipedia Chesterfield trams ran until 23 May 1927, then the trolleybuses operated until 24 March 1938.Sheffield also had a pub called The Tramway. Somehow I can't imagine a pub called The Trolleybus - but who knows? :)

Tramway on London Road is history got the JCB treatment last year after years of dereliction.

.. of which at least one lives on - at Crich Tramway Village. :) According to Wikipedia Chesterfield trams ran until 23 May 1927, then the trolleybuses operated until 24 March 1938.Sheffield also had a pub called The Tramway. Somehow I can't imagine a pub called The Trolleybus - but who knows? :)

If there ever was going to be a pub called 'Trolleybus' it would surely be in Rotherham as they , in the south Yorkshire area anyway, had them the longest as I don't think Sheffield, Barnsley or Doncaster (could be wrong on that one.) had them. I noticed with interest, that the Chesterfield trams (I could not get the picture of the trolleybus) were red and cream as opposed to the later dark green livery of ,well Chesterfield Corporation buses. I think there was a 'Tramcar' pub on Attercliffe Common.

If there ever was going to be a pub called 'Trolleybus' it would surely be in Rotherham as they , in the south Yorkshire area anyway, had them the longest as I don't think Sheffield, Barnsley or Doncaster (could be wrong on that one.) had them. I noticed with interest, that the Chesterfield trams (I could not get the picture of the trolleybus) were red and cream as opposed to the later dark green livery of ,well Chesterfield Corporation buses. I think there was a 'Tramcar' pub on Attercliffe Common.

I remember trolley buses in Rotherham in the fifties and early sixties as I grew up near Rotherham and used the town for shopping regularly. We used to call them tracklesses lol. I believe Doncaster had them, don't know about Barnsley and never saw one in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 14:30 ----------

Tramway on London Road is history got the JCB treatment last year after years of dereliction.

That was my late mother- in- law's joint local along with The Barrel just up the road. I believe she had her photo took arm in arm with Sean Bean in the Barrel, many years ago, don't know what happened to it though.

Edited by TORONTONY

Yes, I saw the latter part of the demolition work. So sad - it was a decent pub in its day.
... I think there was a 'Tramcar' pub on Attercliffe Common.
Yes, it was actually at the far end of Attercliffe Road on the corner of Clay Street; here's a photo.

I remember trolley buses in Rotherham in the fifties and early sixties as I grew up near Rotherham and used the town for shopping regularly. We used to call them tracklesses lol. I believe Doncaster had them, don't know about Barnsley and never saw one in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 24-09-2016 at 14:30 ----------

That was my late mother- in- law's joint local along with The Barrel just up the road. I believe she had her photo took arm in arm with Sean Bean in the Barrel, many years ago, don't know what happened to it though.

Yes Mr.T. I don't know how far the Rotherham trolleybuses went but recall seeing them as far up as Bawtry Road (is that Herringthorpe ?} Perhaps they went as far as 'Steelo's' at Templeborough but not to Tinsley or further into Sheffield 9- overhead wires etc.

Some of the early history of the Granville Inn is given here. This begins with Slater's Directory of 1847, though a few years earlier in 1840 Rodgers' directory lists the Granville Inn with John Wilson as innkeeper.

Granville inn was known as Coggins in the 1950s- all my family used to go in there, always a piano playing and singing when I used to walk past

Does anyone recall the Granville Inn?

There were definitely trolleybuses in Doncaster, I've travelled on 'em. I was in my fifth year at the time, 1959. The livery was maroon with white band. Previously the buses and trolleybuses of Doncaster were red and white, I think. Trolleybuses stopped running in Doncaster during 1963, I was living at Hackenthorpe by then though.

The family zakes lived at RAF Lindholme, Bomber Command Training School in the late 50s. We went shopping on normal double-decked buses. Dad zakes was a sergeant with three stripes. How he got to become a sergeant God only knows lol. We lived at 16 Hampden Crescent, the end house. The house is still theere. It was one of the roads of the married quarters for RAF personnel. The houses now stand directly outside the fencing of Lindholme clink, and are privately owned. The houses can be seen on Zoopla, Rightmove, and other rip-off merchant websites.

There was an attempt to bring back trolleybuses in 1984. Trials were run at Doncaster racecourse, but the idea was knocked on the head in 1986 due to the introduction of deregulation of buses. I recently read this, as I wasn't living in Britain during the 80s.

The plan had been to re-introduce trolleybuses in Doncaster, and in Rotherham (Greater Sheffield lol).

The trolleybus used in the trial-experiment can be seen at the trolleybus museum at Sandtoft (it sounds Danish), in Lincs (Hillsbro territory lol).