Firth park pond

Yes Peter it's a very small world.

That is a very interesting piece about Firth Park and surrounding areas. It's surprising what you don't know about areas where you've lived for years and years.

Thanks very much.

Hi francypants,

I was surprised when I first saw Page Hall some years ago. It's hidden behind houses on Firth Park Road and Addison Road and accessed at the end of Cammell Road. Now looking incongruous surrounded by modern housing, it would have been originally a massive private country estate. Being a life member of 'The National Trust' I see many country houses maintained as they were in their original state and Page Hall would have matched up to many of them in it's prime. It's now a nursing home but still worth a look from the nursing home car park which is adjacent to the front doorway.

Here's a pic in Aug 1875....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s05776&prevUrl=

Here's a nice old pic of the duck pond which I don't think has been on here before....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s11100&prevUrl=

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter,

Lovely pictures, thanks.

What a beautiful house Page Hall was. I've never seen it despite living on Vicars Road at the end of Cammell Road in 1966. I was only 11 years old at the time and more bothered about playing on the stream in Firth Park in an old tin bath !!

:hihi:

Hi Peter,

Lovely pictures, thanks.

What a beautiful house Page Hall was. I've never seen it despite living on Vicars Road at the end of Cammell Road in 1966. I was only 11 years old at the time and more bothered about playing on the stream in Firth Park in an old tin bath !!

:hihi:

Hi francypants,

Small world again eh and double ditto as my old pal, who I met when I was 15 at Firth Browns and remained close friends with until his death 3 years ago, lived on Ellerton Road, the next road to Vickers Road, from his early days until he married!!

Also his pal named Gordon, I can't remember the surname, lived on Vickers Road!!

They were both a couple of years older than me.

Well at 11 my tastes would have been more like yours :hihi:

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Great stop off when we used the library next door.. Sailed a boat in there, fell in there and even been pushed in,, there. :-) It was sad to hear on a subsequent return to Firth Park to find that they had filled it all in. Supposedly, as it was a dangerous place for kids. ?? Oh how health and safety, over the top, we have become since the 50's, 60's

Great stop off when we used the library next door.. Sailed a boat in there, fell in there and even been pushed in,, there. :-) It was sad to hear on a subsequent return to Firth Park to find that they had filled it all in. Supposedly, as it was a dangerous place for kids. ?? Oh how health and safety, over the top, we have become since the 50's, 60's

Nice to hear your story fairthorny. I also used to sail my boat in there in the '50s. Like yourself, I now live 120 miles from Sheffield. I visit my family in Sheffield and occasionally look around the old places but not as often as I would like though. :)

Nice to read both your posts , it was a very pleasant area around the boating lake spent a lot of my childhood around there . Still pass it on a regular basis , my sister still lives in that area . Dangerous place for kids , don't make me laugh .

Hi Peter / Dave.. Great place for the annual tadpole harvesting as well. ( bet you both forgot about that eh? ) :-) , with the occasional stickleback ending up in the jam jar too.

Nice to read both your posts , it was a very pleasant area around the boating lake spent a lot of my childhood around there . Still pass it on a regular basis , my sister still lives in that area . Dangerous place for kids , don't make me laugh .

Hi Parkydave, when are you going to meet up with us at Fairthorn community centre? We meet Tuesdays at 1.00am. I was with my sister Heather this week and she mentioned you.

Hi yes I remember in the 50s and early 60s sailing my boats on the firth park boating lake it was great fun.I lived on the Shiregreen estate then when my mother took me to the doctors at Firth Park it was an excuse to visit the lake.By the way the doctors then were Dr Pilling and Dr Pettigrew.I must say the park was kept in immaculate condition then full of colour and so peaceful.Went back to the area for the first time in 30 years and how run down it looks now such a pity.

Yes remember tadpoles , is was a fantastic area at that time , not so much now . Hi Alan yes will have to try and get one Tuesday but we are committed to grand kids school run and that is one of the days but would love to get there and meet you all .

Hi yes I remember in the 50s and early 60s sailing my boats on the firth park boating lake it was great fun.I lived on the Shiregreen estate then when my mother took me to the doctors at Firth Park it was an excuse to visit the lake.By the way the doctors then were Dr Pilling and Dr Pettigrew.I must say the park was kept in immaculate condition then full of colour and so peaceful.Went back to the area for the first time in 30 years and how run down it looks now such a pity.

( A bit off topic I know ..... but )

Dr. Pettigrew was a brilliant doctor. She nursed my mom back to health when my mom was very ill with TB. She was my doctor too. So dedicated.

( A bit off topic I know ..... but )

Dr. Pettigrew was a brilliant doctor. She nursed my mom back to health when my mom was very ill with TB. She was my doctor too. So dedicated.

Yes I remember her to she was a old school doctor with her half cut glasses and her platted hair and called a spade a spade.Also doctor Pilling another great GP who went on to become the coroner for Sheffield.