Grimesthorpe School 1960s

i was also at grimesthorpe junior school.left in 1967 i think. The sports teacher was Mr Platts,south african guy,we won the sanderson trophy football in our last year,still got the team photo with the cup.Remember dave green scored the only goal in the final.

Hi , yes i remember Mr Platts he was my teacher in the 3rd year at Grimesthorpe then Mr Eyre in the 4th, I also remember Dave (diner) Green scoring that goal. I remember the headline in the paper saying , GREEN FOR DANGER. I remember Daves house because they had a full size snooker table in one of the rooms .

Happy Days

Jim.

made me chuckle thinking about that snooker table.we used to play subbuteo on it,perfect.no wrinkly pitch to worry about :) had to block the pockets of course.i havent seen dave for a couple of years now.

I have just registered on this site. I have lived in Norfolk since the late 1970s but had many happy days at Grimesthorpe Middle school in the mid 1960s. My year was the last to take the 11 plus and i left in 1968 to go the the then Firth Park Grammar school. Anyone on here who went to Grimesthorpe in those nostalgic far off days ?

If I remember right, there were six lads who went from Grimesthorpe to Firth Park Grammar that year...

... if you were one of them, I was another :-)

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 20:37 ----------

I too attended Grimesthorpe Junior from about 1964 before moving onto Earl Marshal I have fond memories of the junior school. The lollipop man was Mr Jeremy a nice bloke with a cheery smile. I was in the class with Steven Goodall, Mick Wilks, Stephen Wild to name but a few. Remember having a race with Dave Drury in the playground and not being able to stop smashed my head into the stone wall and got a cracking bruise and a shiner. On the walk home a policeman asked me what I had done and I told him. He said "yes that is a real shiner have this one to match" and gave me a sixpence piece. Must have affected me 'cos I finished up as a Detective many years later. So much for Mr Bullivant head of Earl Marshal telling me I would never make anything of myself !!

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 16:15 ----------

Hi

Does anyone know if Keith Lemm is still around. He used to run the boys club in Winconank Lane with his brother Trevor who sadly passed away a few year ago. Would like to get back in touch with him if poss.

Many thanks

Keith sadly passed away a few weeks ago, just before Christmas

Steve , when i met Mick Wilks the other week , thats the 1st time ive seen any of the Grimesthorpe lads since i was married in 1978.

Steve , when i met Mick Wilks the other week , thats the 1st time ive seen any of the Grimesthorpe lads since i was married in 1978.

Hi Jim.I cant remember who told me you had got married,it was definitely someone in the wap.Shame you didnt make the 40yr thing in 2012,i was told by my dad via barry renwicks dad !! Spent most of the night chatting to dave green.Do you remember david cutts ? he organised most of it ,even though he lived in cumbria !! he changed his name by deedpole to david fox :huh: there were a lot that didnt go that evening,but the back room in the firth park hotel was rammed . Steve.

Hi Steve , yes i remember Dave Cutts , and yes it was a shame i missed the reunion. Most of the things arranged on this forum seem to be by people a few years older than us , so its nice to see a few from our age group coming on to the forum . Its seems that quite a number have moved well away from the area.I moved to Rotherham so not a million miles away . Sometimes drive thru the old Grimesthorpe area and theres not a lot left, shame .

Jim.

Hi Steve , yes i remember Dave Cutts , and yes it was a shame i missed the reunion. Most of the things arranged on this forum seem to be by people a few years older than us , so its nice to see a few from our age group coming on to the forum . Its seems that quite a number have moved well away from the area.I moved to Rotherham so not a million miles away . Sometimes drive thru the old Grimesthorpe area and theres not a lot left, shame .

Jim.

I got married in 1981 jim,we now live on hucklow road,so i have bumped into a few old school mates in that time.i worked on carlisle street for about 3 years so i used to walk to work.it was weird walking through grimesthorpe,nothing like how i remembered ! i did stand where our house used to be(near enough anyway) ive met jeff teigh a couple of times for a beer,we are both still into black sabbath so we have been in yorkshireman on burgess street city centre ,only descent rock bar left now. Steve.

Hi Steve if you ever go again , let me know . would like to meet up again . I had some good times with Jeff , we once went for a week on a boat on the broads but its a long story . It was after the holiday with jeff that we came back to find that the Nelson had been re-decorated .Last time i saw him i think he was doing some roadie work with a heavy metal band and remember you with the long hair ding the Wap Albert Nelson Trip.

Jim.:hihi:

PS you wont be to pleased about the SABBATH packing in then.

Edited by jad279
add a PS

Hi Steve if you ever go again , let me know . would like to meet up again . I had some good times with Jeff , we once went for a week on a boat on the broads but its a long story . It was after the holiday with jeff that we came back to find that the Nelson had been re-decorated .Last time i saw him i think he was doing some roadie work with a heavy metal band and remember you with the long hair ding the Wap Albert Nelson Trip.

Jim.:hihi:

PS you wont be to pleased about the SABBATH packing in then.

Will do that jim no problem,I havnt seen jeff for a year or so.ive not been able to get out for a good while (back surgery) but much better now.i have his number so will arrange something. As ozzie says they have run their course,they inspired a lot of rock bands along the way. I never tire of listening to spiral architect,symptom of the universe,snowblind etc.:headbang::roll:

Those were the days , 1st rate HeadbanginG .:D

Those were the days , 1st rate HeadbanginG .:D

do you know jim,i must be losing it.the reunion was in 2002 and it was the thirty yrs one !!!:loopy:god knows why i put 40&2012. got to be an age thing:hihi: