Grimesthorpe School 1960s

The sweet shop opposite the quarry was owned by a Mrs Hughes I sometimes helped out during the holidays late fifties, there wasn't any trees on the quarry at all it was very rugged with a path running up at the side of the houses which brought you on to Grimesthorpe rd at the top of Hunsley st. Hi Sheila hope you are ok after your OP. Jean J

Jean can you recall a small cave like opening in the rocks not big enough to go into.It had a ledge you could sit on.Yes i'm getting about a lot better now,just had surgery on my finger,stitches out monday and i dont want to to see NGH again.Hope your well love.xx

I knew a person that lived in that yard called Syliva Pickering in

them years

Are you sure it wasn't Pat Pickering Brian.Bob Pickerings sister?

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed quote tags

Hi Sheila, yes I can remember the little cave. I had surgery on my finger at NGH last year at the fracture clinic I was going every week for 4wks I was glad when they transferred me to our clinic as it was a right trek from where I live. But glad to know you are going on OK. Jean J

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 10:40 ----------

Hi Sheila, yes I can remember the little cave. I had surgery on my finger at NGH last year at the fracture clinic I was going every week for 4wks I was glad when they transferred me to our clinic as it was a right trek from where I live. But glad to know you are going on OK. Jean J

I remember Pat Pickering living in that house on that photo that Brian put on.

I went to grimesthorpe school till 1958 Mrs Hamilton was my teacher she liked on Scott Rd she walk to school

I too attended Grimesthorpe Junior from about 1964 before moving onto Earl Marshal I have fond memories of the junior school. The lollipop man was Mr Jeremy a nice bloke with a cheery smile. I was in the class with Steven Goodall, Mick Wilks, Stephen Wild to name but a few. Remember having a race with Dave Drury in the playground and not being able to stop smashed my head into the stone wall and got a cracking bruise and a shiner. On the walk home a policeman asked me what I had done and I told him. He said "yes that is a real shiner have this one to match" and gave me a sixpence piece. Must have affected me 'cos I finished up as a Detective many years later. So much for Mr Bullivant head of Earl Marshal telling me I would never make anything of myself !!

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 16:15 ----------

Hi

Does anyone know if Keith Lemm is still around. He used to run the boys club in Winconank Lane with his brother Trevor who sadly passed away a few year ago. Would like to get back in touch with him if poss.

Many thanks

Hi I too finished up as a Detective in later life so Grimesthorpe must have turned out a few of the boys in blue albeit i did my time in Norfolk

Hi....I used to live at 10 Uwell Lane the Bowler family. Next door was Ron and Madge Barrett and their. kids Stephen and Julie. The Waldrons were the other side and we were sandwiched between the Bowling Green and the Beehive pubs. Went to Grimesthorpe Junior from 63 then onto Earl Marshal until 72. Would love to hear from anyone from that area or era.

Hi....I used to live at 10 Uwell Lane the Bowler family. Next door was Ron and Madge Barrett and their. kids Stephen and Julie. The Waldrons were the other side and we were sandwiched between the Bowling Green and the Beehive pubs. Went to Grimesthorpe Junior from 63 then onto Earl Marshal until 72. Would love to hear from anyone from that area or era.

Hi Jackvivian,i went to school with Carol Bowler.I lived on Hunsley St,my name was Sheila Hepplestone.I left school in 62/63.

I too attended Grimesthorpe Junior from about 1964 before moving onto Earl Marshal I have fond memories of the junior school. The lollipop man was Mr Jeremy a nice bloke with a cheery smile. I was in the class with Steven Goodall, Mick Wilks, Stephen Wild to name but a few. Remember having a race with Dave Drury in the playground and not being able to stop smashed my head into the stone wall and got a cracking bruise and a shiner. On the walk home a policeman asked me what I had done and I told him. He said "yes that is a real shiner have this one to match" and gave me a sixpence piece. Must have affected me 'cos I finished up as a Detective many years later. So much for Mr Bullivant head of Earl Marshal telling me I would never make anything of myself !!

You need to read "What's Tha Up To?" and "What's Tha Up To Nah?"

By Martyn Johnson. It Might be the same old bobby.

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed quote tags

Hi Sheila

Yes Carol is my sister she is still going strong and living in Norwich near

To her son,daughter and many grandchildren. My other sister Eileen lives in the States with all her family too.

Martin PC 464are tony Martin that lived on cyclops at

Hi Sheila

Yes Carol is my sister she is still going strong and living in Norwich near

To her son,daughter and many grandchildren. My other sister Eileen lives in the States with all her family too.

Please give her my best wishes,can't remember Eileen.Would Carol be the oldest.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 20:12 ----------

'On the way home', do you mean behind the school towards the 'Margate' pre-fabs ? The real quarry was behind Botham Street (Ruthin Street and the 'Who Can Tell').

Never knew it as the Quarry it was always the brick yard at the back of Who Can Tell,only born on the next st to it.But suppose it depends on ages.

I went to Grimesthorpe juniors from 1964 then on to Owler lane high school that later became Earl Marshall . I can remember us running down that quarry on the way to school as i remember we used to call it the DEATH DROP .