Supertram future- consultation

Guest busdriver1
What about all the other things like the traffic lights that are designed to ensure you need to stop start from one to the other and other no entry/no right turns to make life difficult for the car drivers

Generally no right turns and no entry restrictions are for the greater good except when they place them stupidly like on the exit of a roundabout like Brook Hill. The restrictions due to the trams gaining priority benefit a tiny minority whilst inconveniencing the majority.

Generally no right turns and no entry restrictions are for the greater good except when they place them stupidly like on the exit of a roundabout like Brook Hill. The restrictions due to the trams gaining priority benefit a tiny minority whilst inconveniencing the majority.

Something tells me 'busdriver1' that you may be a tiny bit biased against the trams in favour of other methods of transport. Can't think what it is that makes me think that.....

I was thinking for instance where you come down Spital Hill from tesco towards Wicker where they instituted a no right turn and last time I took note not only were there still road signs pointing you to turn right for the hospitals and Barnsley A61 but when the lights were green the lights from the Wicker up towards tesco were red meaning there was no conflict

I was thinking for instance where you come down Spital Hill from tesco towards Wicker where they instituted a no right turn and last time I took note not only were there still road signs pointing you to turn right for the hospitals and Barnsley A61 but when the lights were green the lights from the Wicker up towards tesco were red meaning there was no conflict

are you sure ?

I’m sure there’s been a right-turn allowed there for several years.

In fact yes, I distinctly remember nearly being hit by a car performing that manoeuvre when I cycled up from Wicker to Spital Hill*

*it was my own stupid fault, I jumped a red light on me bike :blush:

yes there used to be a right turn allowed there but they prohibited it recently and of course they left traffic to find out the hard way rather than put up signs to warn them so that they could take an alternative route perhaps to generate more cash

yes there used to be a right turn allowed there but they prohibited it recently and of course they left traffic to find out the hard way rather than put up signs to warn them so that they could take an alternative route perhaps to generate more cash

Generate more cash how?

Council can't enforce banned turns.

just so we're clear, you're talking about this junction, where the dark grey MPV is in the right lane and about to turn right onto Savile Street, following the silver small hatchback that is already making its way round the corner?

I pass that junction several times a month, and I don't remember seeing any prohbition signs, but then I'm always in the left lane to go straight ahead at the lights.

Private vehicles in the right lane must turn right; only buses and taxis can use the right lane to go straight on under the Wicker arches, continue along the bus lane and cross the bus gate across Derek Dooley Way. This saves them having to switch lanes further back up Spital Hill and block both lanes coming into town. . . which was one of the reasons I stopped using that junction on a daily basis.

Can you imagine thousands of people turning up from other cities, wanting to go to a football match or a concert at the arena, and being told the tram had closed, and they'd have to get a combination of local buses?! Absolutely ludicrous.

But the tram only goes near one of the football grounds, and the traffic disruption doesn’t seem any worse near the one without tram than it is at the one with tram.

I’ve only actually caught the tram about 4 times, as it doesn’t go near where I need to travel, so I’m not going to fill in the consultation as it wouldn’t directly affect me.

I’ve only actually caught the tram about 4 times, as it doesn’t go near where I need to travel, so I’m not going to fill in the consultation as it wouldn’t directly affect me.

Sorry but that is slightly naïve

I have been on the tram a few times, but I have to go out of my way to get on it because it doesn't go near where I live or work. However if I'm commuting in a car or taking a trip in a van or bus as part of my work and I happen to go along side the tram on Netherthorpe Road.

Then guess what, it's full of people who are not using cars.

If those people were in cars then there would be another 20 or 30 cars on Netherthorpe road and it would be even more gridlocked.

Just because a person who lives in Sheffield does not use public transport, it does not mean they don't benefit greatly from it being there. All those passengers mean there are less cars, less pollution, less congestion and faster journeys overall.

It's probably a good time to look back at the short history of second generation tram and light rail systems that have been built in Britain since the early 1990s. The first to open was Manchester in 1992 then Sheffield in 1994 and thirdly West Midlands Metro in 1999, it was always thought early on that the Sheffield vehicles were by far the better trams of these three systems and this proved to be correct as Manchester had a new fleet of trams by 2009 replacing all the 1992 vehicles and West Midlands Metro had a new fleet in 2013 again replacing the original 1999 trams. Sheffield are still using trams from 1994 by far the oldest trams in use in Britain. All these systems and replacement trams were financed by Government money as was all the rail replacement that's been done in Sheffield over the past few years plus the seven new trams of which three were for the original system. I can't imagine the government not providing funding for new trams having provided large amounts of cash already to keep the system in good order.

Sorry but that is slightly naïve

I have been on the tram a few times, but I have to go out of my way to get on it because it doesn't go near where I live or work. However if I'm commuting in a car or taking a trip in a van or bus as part of my work and I happen to go along side the tram on Netherthorpe Road.

Then guess what, it's full of people who are not using cars.

If those people were in cars then there would be another 20 or 30 cars on Netherthorpe road and it would be even more gridlocked.

Just because a person who lives in Sheffield does not use public transport, it does not mean they don't benefit greatly from it being there. All those passengers mean there are less cars, less pollution, less congestion and faster journeys overall.

I do use public transport, just not the tram, because it doesn't go anywhere near where I am travelling to or from.

Less pollution, fair enough.

Less cars and faster journeys on the roads where I am not travelling - ok, good for the city overall, but no direct effect on my journey.

The tram doesn't run along, or even close to, my journeys in Sheffield. On the occasions when the tram has not been running normally for whatever reason (maintenance work, broken down tram blocking the line, or whatever) I haven't noticed any difference to my journeys.

I do use public transport, just not the tram, because it doesn't go anywhere near where I am travelling to or from.

Less pollution, fair enough.

Less cars and faster journeys on the roads where I am not travelling - ok, good for the city overall, but no direct effect on my journey.

The tram doesn't run along, or even close to, my journeys in Sheffield. On the occasions when the tram has not been running normally for whatever reason (maintenance work, broken down tram blocking the line, or whatever) I haven't noticed any difference to my journeys.

I don't understand this attitude...it's taken you longer to type out your post than it would have done to complete the survey. A good public transport system benefits everyone, even if you don't use it.