Supertram future- consultation

Crossrail 2 is already in progress isn't it...

it is a shame the PTE were not planing ahead surely they knew it would need renewing and quite frankly it makes one wonder about the wisdom in investing in the Rotherham link

it is a shame the PTE were not planing ahead surely they knew it would need renewing and quite frankly it makes one wonder about the wisdom in investing in the Rotherham link

What investment in the Rotherham link?

Have you forgotten the track renewal programme?

---------- Post added 27-09-2018 at 12:18 ----------

No.

Just a proposal, supported by MPs who live on the route, mainly Conservative including Chris Grayling.

No I have not forgotten the track renewal program but still they need another £200+m

Instead of allowing the government to fund the Rotherham extension a better idea might have been to ask them to ringfence the money to cover the cost of keeping the existing network open (true they would have got the proverbial two fingers)

---------- Post added 27-09-2018 at 12:27 ----------

Still waiting for Crossrail 1 let alone Crossrail 2

ministers have many ideas but plans that is another thing altogether and commitment to fund and build well.......

For my part the only time I get to use the tram is when I attend concerts at Sheffield Arena. I've always wished it came nearer Crookes than Sheffield university. If people aren't fans of it they are probably in the same boat. Big mistake not extending it before now to reach more areas.

Crookes is not suitable for trams (of this type).

Buses provide more stops at more frequent intervals in this densely populated area close to town.

Crookes residents have still gained from the introduction of supertram e.g.

much less congestion for the 52 buses on West Street and Glossop Road.

much easier to commute by car towards NGH, Meadowhall and parts of Rotherham because of the work done on Infirmary Road.

its another example of how poorly we do things in Sheffield

look at Manchester tram network its huge. we are now weeks away from our first train/tram link 18yrs since supertram started operation. stocksbridge has been crying out for the supertram but nothing has never materialised. It seems to take ages for anything to happen in Sheffield. The current tram train link to parkgate is 3yrs overdue and £60m over budget. you couldn't make it up. Its shambolic and now the supertram may soon not exist.

Crookes is not suitable for trams (of this type).

Buses provide more stops at more frequent intervals in this densely populated area close to town.

Crookes residents have still gained from the introduction of supertram e.g.

much less congestion for the 52 buses on West Street and Glossop Road.

much easier to commute by car towards NGH, Meadowhall and parts of Rotherham because of the work done on Infirmary Road.

It would be good if buses were more pleasant and clean. I've just returned home from the Greek island of Santorini where consumption of food and drink on service buses is forbidden. These days ours are often disgusting with food wrappers, bottles, cans etc discarded on the floor and seats.

its another example of how poorly we do things in Sheffield

look at Manchester tram network its huge. we are now weeks away from our first train/tram link 18yrs since supertram started operation. stocksbridge has been crying out for the supertram but nothing has never materialised. It seems to take ages for anything to happen in Sheffield. The current tram train link to parkgate is 3yrs overdue and £60m over budget. you couldn't make it up. Its shambolic and now the supertram may soon not exist.

You aren’t comparing like with like.

Greater Manchester has a population of 2.8 million people who live in a real conurbation, so it is much easier to obtain funding for tram extensions as there are more potential passengers.

Stocksbridge hasn’t got a tram extension because the population isn’t dense enough along the route to justify the massive investment. It is not likely to get one unless significant amounts of new housing are built along that route. Which isn’t happening anytime soon. There are other routes which probably have better potential. The PTE tried to extend the tram network, but some potential routes were dropped due to public resistance and the government refused to fund the one they took forward (to Hallamshire Hospital / Broomhill).

The tram train trial was promoted by Network a Rail and any delays are not down to people in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 28-09-2018 at 07:05 ----------

It would be good if buses were more pleasant and clean. I've just returned home from the Greek island of Santorini where consumption of food and drink on service buses is forbidden. These days ours are often disgusting with food wrappers, bottles, cans etc discarded on the floor and seats.

Not exactly comparing like with like here are we. Santorini, permanent population, 25,000. Sheffield, population 500,000, with some extremely busy bus routes.

Yep, asking those 3 questions in the way they are asked makes little sense. You might read the first one and think, yes, that's a good idea, maintain the network.

Then you read the second and go, oh, I hadn't realised that was an option, that changes my answer to the 1st question! :roll:

I didn't like the moving house question either. We moved house and 1 factor we considered was proximity to the tram. We didn't actually move further away or closer though, but proximity was a bonus (and we actually stayed about the same distance from it, just further up the line).

Reminds me of the "Yes Minister" episode when Sir Humphrey asked Bernard the same question in two different ways and got two different answers. They phrase questions so they can point people in the direction they want, just like when they do surveys they can influence results by the people they target.

Not exactly comparing like with like here are we. Santorini, permanent population, 25,000. Sheffield, population 500,000, with some extremely busy bus routes.

Have you ever travelled on a Santorini bus during the period April to October? Sardines pretty much describes many of the runs. But what does the busyness or otherwise have to do with not permitting food consumption on board?

Edited by medusa
fixed tags- please learn which parts not to remove in future

If the tram network to close that would be the final nail in the coffin in terms of viewing Sheffield seriously as a place for businesses to thrive. It features in nearly all promotional material for the city!

Can you imagine thousands of people turning up from other cities, wanting to go to a football match or a concert at the arena, and being told the tram had closed, and they'd have to get a combination of local buses?! Absolutely ludicrous.

In an age where many other cities are looking to develop and enhance their public transport network, Sheffield are sending out dubiously misguiding consultations that seemed aimed at getting rid of theirs!

It really does beggar belief, and if allowed to happened will be part of the continued decline of the City in relation to others.

How does it work when people turn up for football in Glasgow?