Supertram future- consultation

Public Consultation on the future of Supertram.

Background here (and link to survey here when available)

From 19 September to 30 October 2016 Supertram there will be a public consultation on what happens in with Supertram from 2024 when the Stagecoach franchise ends.

It's been a huge success so a massive expansion of the network is what is needed. When Manchester had its big bang expansion it really made it much more of an asset for the whole region. Before that it only served a thin corridor of the city so wasn't all that useful for most people. Sheffield is still at that stage. Hopefully tram-train is part of the answer.

It's been a huge success so a massive expansion of the network is what is needed. When Manchester had its big bang expansion it really made it much more of an asset for the whole region. Before that it only served a thin corridor of the city so wasn't all that useful for most people. Sheffield is still at that stage. Hopefully tram-train is part of the answer.

Agreed, it would be ace if the network increased considerably. A way to get to the south west of the city would be nice (even if it was just to the start of Ecclesall Road/Abbeydale) a way to get to Chesterfield and Barnsley, Stocksbridge... Plenty of options to connect to, all would make the network more valuable.

It should definitely be extended to serve the south west of the city. Following Bramall Lane down to Chesterfield Road/Abbeydale Road and running alongside the train tracks could be feasible, and would serve communities such as Meersbrook, Nether Edge, Millhouses, Woodseats, Beauchief, Greenhill, Dore and Totley etc.

I'd like a spur from University along Glossop Road and along Endcliffe Vale Road to Ranmoor (opposite Florentine pub).

Also, I'd love to see the tram run up Fargate and down The Moor, past the (demolished) Manpower Services carbuncle at Moorfoot and up Ecclesall Road to Hunters Bar.

It'll never happen; only progressive councils would do this which rules out the amateurs at SCC.

A link to the south and one going north towards NGH would be a good place start

I wish it ran to Crookes especially now the bus takes so long due to the reroute to Glossop Road!

It should go up Brook Hill on to Weston Bank then loop round at Broomhill down Glossop road then it would serve all the hospitals in that area of the city. I know they would never do it but it makes sense

needs extending right to notts boarder in maltby to Rotherham Donny etc.

A loop going up from the University to The Hallamshire & Children's Hospital would make a huge difference to a lot of people.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

A loop going up from the University to The Hallamshire & Children's Hospital would make a huge difference to a lot of people.

I agree, but I have no idea where they would put the tracks. If you didn't live alongside the original works for when they put the tracks in before the initial routes opened then you may not know that in order to support the weight and remove the risk of services under the tracks necessitating digging up the tracks to do work, they dig down almost 20 feet under the road and pavement and move all of the sewers, water pipes and utility pipes to run under the pavement instead of under the road, then repack the surface with 20 feet of hardcore before laying the tracks.

It was 3 or 4 years of living next to a building site with side roads being cut off, diversions, queues and intermittent electricity, gas and water failures while they completed this work, and the lack of access to Hillsborough killed almost all of the businesses that were down there at the time (I'm sure that other places were similarly affected, but I didn't live near them).

Where would the tram go? If it's going to be on the same roads as the normal road traffic, where does the normal road traffic go while the tram tracks are being built? There would need to be one hell of a plan in place to allow the hospitals to still function while the roads were closed around them.

It would be cheaper to give everyone in Sheffield access to free bicycles than to install/run/maintain a new tramline?

It would reduce the obesity problems at the same time.