Bole Hill Park Crookes Rugby club?

For God's sake please don't tell me you are thinking of making a comeback :help::rant::hihi:

As you well know I have been in training and am now ready for action. I just need to know if I can spectate with cans of Special Brew and bottles of Buckfast to help give encouragement to an up and coming team.

Hi there,

I'm Tom the chairman of Hallamshire RUFC and I can help with this query. In short the answer is no, we are not taking over the Bole Hills park. The longer answer is that we are working with the council and local groups to place a rugby pitch at the top of the park to play on during the rugby season, much like the football teams who play at the bottom of the site and the BMX Track and Bowls club. We will be renting the pitch from the council but are putting the money into its creation from finding funding ourselves.

We've spoken to a lot of the park user groups and passing users and have had a pretty positive response so far. The idea being that as a community club Hallamshire RUFC will play a wider role in the life of the park, helping out with events and work days as well as hopefully providing rugby union for a variety of ages in the area which currently there is no provision for.

So in short we're not taking over, we're joining the other groups already using the park and want to be a positive contributor toward its future.

Hope that Helps

Tom - Hallamshire RUFC chairman

Hi Tom,

I had wondered what was happening with the old Mercury Taxi building as I live very close by, and had seen lots of work going on (although you've ruined my idea of turning that into a community cafe ;), but I hope you manage to do something similar )

Just one point I would like to raise about parking. I think a lot of the guys use Northfield Road as it is close to the building and field. Now it's a public road so I'm not going to raise anything about 'stealing places' just because we park our car there. However some of the parking from those who were training was just a tiny bit ridiculous if you don't mind me saying.

Basically the couple of times I have seen the group there, the pavement could not be used at all and there was hardly any room to move at all. I know that can happen anyway on that road, but if the training there will be a regular thing in season, I wonder if you will be looking at trying to reduce the amount of vehicles cramming in that small area?

I wish the club well, and hope that a sensible agreement about the use of the area will be made. Although in your consultation I would have liked to have seen residents who live in the immediate area also included in the consult, particularly if (although I don't think I have quite followed this part of the thread correctly) there is to be some kind of fencing off of an area in the field.

Regards.

I think it’s a great idea to rejuvenate the area, spruce it up and create a hub for community events and what’s not to like about an influx of big hunky rugby players? So, it’s going to be fenced but not CLOSED as I understand, you doggy lovers can still walk with your pooches unless there happens to be training etc, no? If it’s looked after, I think it will also be safer with more people around and may attract more families/students rather than some of the youths that congregate there.

I’m not anti-dog but there are quite a few on there running loose which puts me off walking. They may be your beloved pets but they make me nervous – not everyone loves dogs. If it was up to me, the dogs would be fenced in for some training so me and my family could run free without being jumped up at, slobbered on or having to step in little piles of doggyflop etc. But of course I wouldn’t dare say this on the Forum or dare to complain. It’s called compromise.

Guest makapaka
I think it’s a great idea to rejuvenate the area, spruce it up and create a hub for community events and what’s not to like about an influx of big hunky rugby players? So, it’s going to be fenced but not CLOSED as I understand, you doggy lovers can still walk with your pooches unless there happens to be training etc, no? If it’s looked after, I think it will also be safer with more people around and may attract more families/students rather than some of the youths that congregate there.

I’m not anti-dog but there are quite a few on there running loose which puts me off walking. They may be your beloved pets but they make me nervous – not everyone loves dogs. If it was up to me, the dogs would be fenced in for some training so me and my family could run free without being jumped up at, slobbered on or having to step in little piles of doggyflop etc. But of course I wouldn’t dare say this on the Forum or dare to complain. It’s called compromise.

Here here - well done.

well............ I live in the flats overlooking the spot where the pitch is proposed!!

Instead of waking up to a beautiful view of green grass, I will be looking at a fence surrounding a rugby pitch.... I would've at least expected a letter through the door about it, as I am sure the levelling that will need addressing (unless they're planning on playing on a wonky pitch) will cause a lot of noise/disruption initially.

I've asked around and not one person from my flats have received any notice of this?? we overlook the area proposed! why would nobody consult us!!

I have a dog that I walk every day, and nobody's approached me about it.

I also notice that nobody here seems to understand the size of a rugby pitch, it may not take over the whole field.... but pitches are large!! I imagine it would be a considerable amount!

I am finding this whole situation rather distressing. I think Sheffield should be proud of the number of sports facilities available to us, and utilise these, rather than building new ones. I also understand that it would be good to make use of the old taxi office, but when people say its 'finally been put to use' well ever since the closure of Mercury it hasn't been advertised to let / sale once, and I imagine if it had somebody could have made use of it a long time ago, as it is the prime location for a cafe/park shop, and as a developer myself I'm sure there'd be interest in that!!

Im not complaining about the rugby, by all means put up some posts!! but please dont level and fence off the field, green spaces are so so important for the community.

I feel that the planners of this whole thing have let us all down a bit, they say the community have all bee supportive and approving, but they haven't seemed to ask the local residents of the park, the people who will have to dealwith the added noise, traffic, etc. Which is a shame because a nicer approach would probably have got a nicer response.

LETS CREATE A COMMUNITY CAFE INSTEAD! With beautiful views and dogs and children running free around the field!!!!!!

Hi tom from HRUFC I am afraid I can't message the representative who contacted me on this forum however if you send me another message with an email address I will respond to your message.

well............ I live in the flats overlooking the spot where the pitch is proposed!!

Instead of waking up to a beautiful view of green grass, I will be looking at a fence surrounding a rugby pitch.... I would've at least expected a letter through the door about it, as I am sure the levelling that will need addressing (unless they're planning on playing on a wonky pitch) will cause a lot of noise/disruption initially.

I've asked around and not one person from my flats have received any notice of this?? we overlook the area proposed! why would nobody consult us!!

I have a dog that I walk every day, and nobody's approached me about it.

I also notice that nobody here seems to understand the size of a rugby pitch, it may not take over the whole field.... but pitches are large!! I imagine it would be a considerable amount!

I am finding this whole situation rather distressing. I think Sheffield should be proud of the number of sports facilities available to us, and utilise these, rather than building new ones. I also understand that it would be good to make use of the old taxi office, but when people say its 'finally been put to use' well ever since the closure of Mercury it hasn't been advertised to let / sale once, and I imagine if it had somebody could have made use of it a long time ago, as it is the prime location for a cafe/park shop, and as a developer myself I'm sure there'd be interest in that!!

Im not complaining about the rugby, by all means put up some posts!! but please dont level and fence off the field, green spaces are so so important for the community.

I feel that the planners of this whole thing have let us all down a bit, they say the community have all bee supportive and approving, but they haven't seemed to ask the local residents of the park, the people who will have to dealwith the added noise, traffic, etc. Which is a shame because a nicer approach would probably have got a nicer response.

LETS CREATE A COMMUNITY CAFE INSTEAD! With beautiful views and dogs and children running free around the field!!!!!!

You are all for sport, but as long as it's not in your backyard? You do realise they are suggesting a pitch and a small fence. They are hardly building Twickenham on your doorstep.

As for your suggestion about dogs running free, they still can, but not on the proposed rugby pitch. As far as I can see, there will be more than enough room for both the rugby pitch and space to exercise dogs.

As a local Crookes resident I wholeheartedly support the Rugby Club proposals and would be more than happy to put this in writing to any authority which may require evidence of local support etc.

The Bolehills have been neglected for some time, they have the potential to be a really good community facility for all of Crookes.

A sports club have taken over an empty building that was in danger of being derelict,as I understand it no fence is planned in the immediate future, this allows all concerned to work together for the future of this community asset.

Get the three local councillors and perhaps the Crookes Forum to work out a solution ,rather than pressing the panic button .

Edited by Doog

I'll be honest I don't really see the demand for a rugby club here. Rugby is not massively popular in Sheffield compared to other sports and so I don't understand why the council would allow a rugby club to fence off a pitch so that nobody else could get full use of the site. I see youngsters play football matches on the site and also adults train. There is also the schools cross country running and the now very popular mini festivals that take place. There are a lot of questions to be answered and to be honest the public consultation has been non existent. I have no problems with a pitch and posts being setup but cannot and will not agree to any fencing. It has happened in other areas of Sheffield where clubs have gone back on their word and ended up locking supposed open to public fencing claiming damage etc. Yes the clubs may pay a fee to use it but we pay our council taxes too, I'd sooner see a couple of quid rise to pay for any maintenance work as if its anything like football the clubs pay the council peanuts.

Bloody awful idea, as a dog walker I really dont want this to happen!

Your not telling me you will fence it ofd but keep the gate open for dog walks? Of course you wont!!!!! Its a great space now and is used sooooo much. Leave it as it is!

Many dog walkers in the area are in uproar!!

as a dog walker in the area i dont find it an issue, as long as its a waist high fence unfortunaltley not every dog owner clears up their mess or controls their dog

someone mentioned rugby not being a big sport well untill there are places like this adapted to play rugby on then it never will be ( even though i cant stand the sport).

theres an awful ot of Nimbyism in this thread