Joggers and there dogs

I see a lot of joggers out running with there dogs and though it looks great I can't stop feeling that some of the dogs are looking stressed.

My question is then is taking your dog for a run kind or cruel.

I understand that a dog is a great companion while out running but of course the dog can't say "I don't feel like running today" or " slow down i'm knackered infact some dogs do look knackered behind there owners and probably don't wanna be there.

I'm aware that dogs can outrun Man in both distance and speed but not all breeds are capable of this.

I'm on the fence with this, any views

It makes a change for the dog in its routine, but i wouldn't advocate it as the only exercise the dog gets - and not just for the health reasons.

I've never yet seen a jogger or a cyclist stop or even notice the dog doing its business to clean up.

I use the TPT a lot.

My Springer and Sprocker dogs would love this form of exercise, however if I made any attempt to run or cycle whilst being attached to them I'd very quickly end up head over heels in a ditch!

They don't know the meaning of a straight line... :hihi:

My Springer and Sprocker dogs would love this form of exercise, however if I made any attempt to run or cycle whilst being attached to them I'd very quickly end up head over heels in a ditch!

They don't know the meaning of a straight line... :hihi:

Never has a truer word been spoken!!! :hihi:

I read an article a bit back about which breed of dog is best for a running companion and it said that terrier breeds such as Jack Russells, Patterdales and borders were the best as they are known to run for long periods of time and is an activity they enjoy.. So it all depends on the breed really to say whether it is right or wrong.. all dogs love to run but depending on the breed its down to how long they can run for! Obviously common sense would tell you that it isnt sensible to go on a 10 mile run with a bulldog!!! but a mile would be OK...

And if anyone does ever come across a springer that runs in a straight line then you will have found yourself the perfect running partner :)

are you being serious? dogs are born to run. show me a dog that wont run all day long.

My dog for a start.

Not all Dogs are born to run...in general yes but I'm not saying its cruel or justifyable but some dogs seem very stressed behind the runner.

You may be right that this is a good thing for the dog to go out running with its owner.

:thumbsup:

One of these, and especially this one wouldn't be too keen. :)

http://www.strangefunkidz.com/images/content/144026.jpg

I have 4 of these and 3 out of the 4 would hate it but i have one that will run all day and be happy about it. I suppose it all depends on the dog you have.

I think if the dog and owner enjoys it why not, but not as the only form of exercise for the dog, running is not the whole part of a walk, anyone who loves dogs will know how much they love to nose around and sniff, have a roll on the grass, chase some poor hapless rabbit or squirrel :|

Its not only about running but its mental stimulation that a dog needs and just exploring with their Human.

Oh yes and...sorry but off lead dogs with runners are very annoying when you have a reactive dog that is on the lead and spinning with fear!

It makes a change for the dog in its routine, but i wouldn't advocate it as the only exercise the dog gets - and not just for the health reasons.

I've never yet seen a jogger or a cyclist stop or even notice the dog doing its business to clean up.

I use the TPT a lot.

I clean up after my dog when we go for a run. Dogs do make good running companions but you need to ensure you listen to them. Obviously dogs can't talk but there are other signs that they don't (or can't) run anymore. You also need to be aware of how much exercise your dog can take in one go. Some more athletic breeds can run for a long time on a day that is not too hot where as some other breed (often smaller dogs) can only run for a short time.

I sometimes run with my lurcher. She loves a run so long as she's off lead but her breeding is not for endurance so we only do a couple of miles.

I'm always hyper aware of how she's enjoying it, and I never ever run with her if it's warm.

I've seen people running with dogs recently when it's been in the high 20's which doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I sometimes run with my lurcher. She loves a run so long as she's off lead but her breeding is not for endurance so we only do a couple of miles.

I'm always hyper aware of how she's enjoying it, and I never ever run with her if it's warm.

I've seen people running with dogs recently when it's been in the high 20's which doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Even walking is too much for my pug at the moment, unless we go into the woods where it is cooler.

I used to have a lab cross and he loved running in his Halti collar. Couldn't let him loose in an unconfined area because he was daft.

are you being serious? dogs are born to run. show me a dog that wont run all day long.

My dog for a start she's a Bullmastiff and they are not built for long distance running I can tell you probably because the are extremely heavy dogs and its not good at all for their joints etc