Did you go to a grammar school?

I have just discovered that my slippery as an eel partner of 23 years is profoundly dyslectic. I have never ever seen anything written by him except his signature. He can possibly read just a smidge by recognising the shapes of key words. He has mastered every avoidance tactic, and this is particularly astonishing because I went to a grammar school and have taught on the adult literacy scheme. He went to Woodhouse Grammar.  Whenever I had a suspicion I told myself that I was imagining things as this man had obviously passed the 11+.   How on earth did he get into and through grammar school?  He would have entered Woodhouse Grammer around 1952.  His parents were comfortably off and he went to a fee paying junior school.  Surely the only answer is that his parents paid a fee to get him into the grammar.  Needless to say he is the ultimate great charmer, and has had a successful career that involves no reading or writing.  But my point is that there were clearly ways of manipulating grammar school entrance at least up to the early 1950s.