Did you go to a grammar school?

There is talk of grammar schools being reinstated. Did you go to a grammar school in the 1950s or 1960s? What were your impressions of them? Was the method of selection fair?

From my perspective the method of selection was fair enough, as I passed the 11 plus and went to grammar school.

It might be more useful to include those who didn't pass the exam also, to get a more balanced view.

I agree with Easter Sundae - you can't draw conclusions about the benefits of the Grammar School system without looking at those who didn't get to attend one and who were forced into a, perhaps inadequately funded, secondary modern as a result.

Oh, and why limit it to the 50s and 60s? I went to two Grammar Schools during the 70s and 80s.

I'm from Kent originally where they're still relatively common. I went to a grammar school there in the 90s. Obviously it's the only secondary school I've been to so hard to compare it to a state school.

A lot of parents get tutors or train their kids themselves to pass the entrance exams, I remember my dad doing this. I was lucky as the school had great facilities and I ended up going to Uni (hard to say if this would have happened at a different school). I think I only just passed the entrance exam and interview and remember feeling pretty dumb compared to most other students. There was definitely an expectation to achieve academically and having worked in other schools since I have come to realise that there was a lack of nurture for students who were not hitting academic expectations.

Grammar schools seem to really divide opinion. My take is that private schools are far more elite and nobody seems to moan too much about them. Always found it odd that selection based upon wealth is largely ignored in private schools while selection based upon academic ability in grammars is so controversial.

I know richer parents are more able to buy houses in catchment areas but it doesn't have to be done this way. The school I went to has now changed its catchment so it covers a huge area that people from all socio-economic backgrounds can access.

From my perspective the method of selection was fair enough, as I passed the 11 plus and went to grammar school.

It might be more useful to include those who didn't pass the exam also, to get a more balanced view.

In 1958 didn't pass my 11+ because I wasn't clever enough but went on to a four year secondary school education at Burngreave school, which was o.k to me as it suited my mental aptitude. By 1962 I could name all 92 Football League clubs, the grounds they played at and the colours they wore and every member of all the top Rock/Pop groups and the names of the instruments they played.

Edited by stpetre
Add

..........as I remember it passing the 11 plus was mostly about being good at maths! I did not pass,but went on to do far more complex maths at day school and night school for 5 years after leaving secondary modern.

I agree with Grammar school re-introduction.Take the best brains and further educate them as they are usually able to grasp things quicker.This political football of education for all I do not agree with.Too many in these days of entitlement, are being over educated in useless courses,and education has now become a business.I had to go the long route in life to achieve, but would not change a thing!

Edited by mossdog

People from poor backgrounds who benefited from a grammar school education are, of course, more likely to consider that the selection system was fair than those who didn't. I wouldn't like to say whether it was fair overall or not, but I passed the 11 plus in 1959 and spent the next seven years at King Edward VII School. King Edward's was largely fee-paying until the post-war period, but I benefited immensely from the education I received there, and it is fair to say that without the 11 plus, a kid like me from a poor family (back-to-back house, outside loo shared with next door etc.) would have stood no chance of receiving this standard of education.

Edited by hillsbro

I went to De la Salle and all it did for me was turn me off religion for life, the 3 GCE's, that I somehow obtained, have never seen the light of day since the day I received them. I went into the trades and got an apprenticeship and worked in my chosen field from age 16 to 69, with no regrets.

I also went to a grammar school. At the time of the changes I felt that the grammar schools should have stayed as they were complete with the 11 plus even though it went on how you did on the day. Whether it was fair or not I cannot say as I was told by my headmaster that I wouldn't pass.

Incidentally most of my friends went to a secondary modern and were far more intelligent than I was and went on to more successful careers.

So is it the educational system which determines the outcome or the individual?

We were poor, no father, and the selection process in the 40s took into consideration, the parents ability to support their child in higher learning (books, uniform, homework environment). I was a border line passer, and they actually told my mom that It would be better if I went into a job early to help support my family.

So I didn't get to go to grammar school, although I was always the top boy in class and eventually Head Boy at Heeley Bank.

I suppose they meant well.

So I became an apprentice journyman electrician at F.H. Wheeler (Sheffield) Ltd for 7 pence farthing an hour. First assignment their "stores' in Paradise Square.

Fast forward to 2001, after a successful business career in Canada, I found myself semi retired, teaching IT at King Edward V11 Grammar for a year, and the Science Link Governor at Queen Elizabeth Grammar, sitting on many school committees. I also did educational research on teaching assistants, and could often be found taking notes at the back of the class in a number of elementary schools.

My IT teaching was 3 to 4 hours a day, so interestingly enough the rest of the time was spent covering English, History, Science and Social studies for absent teachers. I actually got a good rating through two different OFSTED inspections.

In the summer I would mark A Level papers on contract.

I did well and could have stayed, but instead of joining the Teachers Union, and getting my Teaching Certificate I opted to return to Canada.

I used to look out the window, while my students were taking their GCE A Level exams, and wondering how I got there, or if the cops would come for me if they found out I'd left Heeley Bank at 14. :)

Edited by trastrick

I have a jaded view of grammars, based on my personal experience. Even though I sailed through the 11 plus and the IQ test which we all sat back in the fifties, I achieved nothing academically. A good, flexible comp like my children went to would have suited me far better.

Edited by Ms Macbeth