Burdalls Gravy salt

Hi

I own a 1936 austin 7 van first registered by Burdall's in 1936. I know it wasn't the van you drove but I am interested in the livery of the van so that I can restore my van. Thanks

My uncle was a rep for Burdalls in the 50's/early 60's, he drove a company A35 van which was always dark green. He used to have me tidy all the samples in the back which started out all neatly stored but, finished up strewn all over the place because he drove so fast. Getting a lift with him was like sitting on a rocking horse, I never knew an A35 was capable of such speeds!

Hi Wyatterp colour was your van and can you describe the sign writing Thanks mosccat

My mother used to work in the office it would make it about mid 40's

I have added an avatar which is a picture of a Burdall's Austin 7. This is not my van but very simular. Unfortunatly the picture is black and white. I am interested in the colour of the van and the lettering etc.

When I worked at Burdalls i used make the "gravy salt" I can still remember the recipe..Two sacks of salt one coarse and one fine and half a gallon of caramel...mix together for about 10 mins then tip the goo out into a skip..then it would go and be pressed into blocks by some Lasses...and that was that... put it into packets and send it to the shops..Did anyone ever buy this, if so why?

Hi Timbuck as you may have guessed from my name I live in Thailand and would be grateful if you or anyone could possibly give me a more refined recipe and method with accurate measurements/amounts other than..( Two sacks of salt one coarse one fine and half a gallon of caramel.)? Method for making the caramel would also be very helpful.

Any help and/or advice gratefully accepted thanks. :help:

i used to live at the back of burdalls buildings inhillsboro when i first got married.my husband was never late forwork as they had a hooter that went off at 8oclock every weekday morning there was no need for an alarm clockit could be heard all over hillsboro.it went off again at 1oclockfor dinner then 4_45 for home time

That was down the back of the canteen, was told it came from a steam boat.

I have added an avatar which is a picture of a Burdall's Austin 7. This is not my van but very simular. Unfortunatly the picture is black and white. I am interested in the colour of the van and the lettering etc.

Complete guess you understand.... but maybe something like THIS

Yes, I always had some in. It was easier to put into stews and made a nice gravy before Bisto came on the scene....lot of messing about though compared to todays gravy granules.:hihi:

Joan, wasn't 'Bisto' around in the 1930's at least and I think in later years, 'Carter's' of Attercliffe Road had a similar product along with other concoctions ('Sailor Boy' Custard Powder) they had.

Edited by stpetre
Add

My father in law Joe Jubb work as a driver for Burdalls in the sixties, he delivered mainly in the South of England.

........an old fella told me when I first started work,that it was a mixture of horsemuck and salt of the winter roads ???

I remember one of the fella's at Burdalls getting one of the old vans going that he found in one of the buildings, he was running it round the yard, but if memory serves me I think it was possibly a model T Ford, on a similar style to the Austin 7 in handypandy's pic

You mean before instant gravy because Bisto was around as a make from scratch at same time as burdalls.  My mother used both and said she used both in wartime as leg colour. 

Its not been long since they stopped making it. I used to use it when my kids were little in early 2000s.