Burdalls Gravy salt

When I worked at Burdalls i used make the "gravy salt" I can still remember the recipe..Two sacks of salt one coarse and one fine and half a gallon of caramel...mix together for about 10 mins then tip the goo out into a skip..then it would go and be pressed into blocks by some Lasses...and that was that... put it into packets and send it to the shops..Did anyone ever buy this, if so why?

Yes, I always had some in. It was easier to put into stews and made a nice gravy before Bisto came on the scene....lot of messing about though compared to todays gravy granules.:hihi:

Yes, I always had some in. It was easier to put into stews and made a nice gravy before Bisto came on the scene....lot of messing about though compared to todays gravy granules.:hihi:

Might have known you would reply to this thread! lol :hihi:

When I worked at Burdalls i used make the "gravy salt" I can still remember the recipe..Two sacks of salt one coarse and one fine and half a gallon of caramel...mix together for about 10 mins then tip the goo out into a skip..then it would go and be pressed into blocks by some Lasses...and that was that... put it into packets and send it to the shops..Did anyone ever buy this, if so why?

I know when meat was rationed and money was scarce Burdalls

gravy salt made the gravy look like it was made from meat drippings .Much darker than just flour and water.

At least they called it what it was 'Gravy Salt'

My mum always used this - I love it - reminds me of sunday dinners when i lived at home.

Might have known you would reply to this thread! lol :hihi:

Ooh am I THAT predictable....:hihi:

i remember it came in a square tin my mom used to put some in the dripping to do the roast potatoes on sunday,she also used to add a pinch to tinned tomatoes when she did a fry up,wonder if you can still buy it:thumbsup:

i remember it came in a square tin my mom used to put some in the dripping to do the roast potatoes on sunday,she also used to add a pinch to tinned tomatoes when she did a fry up,wonder if you can still buy it:thumbsup:

No need to buy it it's just salt and burnt suger..Honest.

MMMM, thick, rich gravy... Can't be beaten. *drools*

the ideal serving of gravy?

"do you want one slice, or two!" lol

PT

Congratulations on attaining such a great age! If you can remember it made a nice gravy before Bisto came on the scene you’re probably very old and wrinkled, but I doubt it. Bisto arrived on the scene in 1908!

Congratulations on attaining such a great age! If you can remember it made a nice gravy before Bisto came on the scene you’re probably very old and wrinkled, but I doubt it. Bisto arrived on the scene in 1908!

Yeah, but not in our house, neither did "soft loo paper". :hihi:

These were all things I "discovered" when I became a house -wife myself, but it didn't stop me having the old gravy salt in as well.

Having said that, Bisto Gravy Granules? They didn't evolve until more recently though did they? in fact I was quite surprised to see that the powder stuff is still available.:hihi:

You’re right, Joan, the granules came later. Interested in the soft loo paper. My mother used to use some hard, slippery stuff which I think was called San Izal. In contrast, my dad — a staunch Labour supporter — used to cut up The Times newspaper and use that. He said it was the only thing it was fit for!