Burdalls Gravy salt

You’re right, Joan, the granules came later. Interested in the soft loo paper. My mother used to use some hard, slippery stuff which I think was called San Izal. In contrast, my dad — a staunch Labour supporter — used to cut up The Times newspaper and use that. He said it was the only thing it was fit for!
We used to make the granules also I can't remember the recipe tho', but we did put in a load of "concentrated beef extract" (whatever that was) and when the mix was reduced to a fine powder it was mixed with water to make a paste with an addative to make it bind together..and then it was dried out in a slab and then broken up to make granules I think it was called "Flavox"...They used to make gunpowder granules the same way back in the old days only using urine to bind it...It was said that the best urine came from a "wine drinking Bishop".

We used to make the granules also I can't remember the recipe tho', but we did put in a load of "concentrated beef extract" (whatever that was) and when the mix was reduced to a fine powder it was mixed with water to make a paste with an addative to make it bind together..and then it was dried out in a slab and then broken up to make granules I think it was called "Flavox"...They used to make gunpowder granules the same way back in the old days only using urine to bind it...It was said that the best urine came from a "wine drinking Bishop".

Oh purleeeze, too much information:gag: Never heard of that actually (thank goodness):hihi:

Burdalls,the best gravy additive ever,tried Bisto,binned it,but alas no more burdalls so its Comptons now but its not the same.As hard as the knockers whereas burdalls went soft when opened to the atmosphere.

And knowing one of the chaps who made Burdall's gravy salt,

well i can only say he was'nt a bishop:rolleyes:

i remember it came in a square tin my mom used to put some in the dripping to do the roast potatoes on sunday,she also used to add a pinch to tinned tomatoes when she did a fry up,wonder if you can still buy it:thumbsup:

My mum used to do exactly the same - pinch in with the tomatoes...mmmmmmm It was yummy!!!

Can't get it now days, don't think.:confused:

i too worked at Burdalls i was a van driver that would be about the mid 60's, great stuff in winter for getting you going wen you got stuck in snow

Graham

you can get Burdalls still, albeit out of date but I reckon it will last for years and probably be fit for use for twenty or more years.Type in search for old jakes at wymondham,he has bought the old stock.I have bought some but I warn you it is dear to buy but its the real thing,he also produces his own version and is sold at various butchers around the country.:hihi:

i used to live at the back of burdalls buildings inhillsboro when i first got married.my husband was never late forwork as they had a hooter that went off at 8oclock every weekday morning there was no need for an alarm clockit could be heard all over hillsboro.it went off again at 1oclockfor dinner then 4_45 for home time

I worked at Burdalls in the 70s on the production line and also catching the goods that came down a shute and packing and warehousing them .

Around 1960 I used to deliver salt at Burdalls at the Barracks on Penistone Rd I loaded it at Sandbach in Cheshire, 10 tons at a time All for gravy salt Good old fashioned stuff Nowt to beat it

i too worked at Burdalls i was a van driver that would be about the mid 60's, great stuff in winter for getting you going wen you got stuck in snow

Graham

Hi

I own a 1936 austin 7 van first registered by Burdall's in 1936. I know it wasn't the van you drove but I am interested in the livery of the van so that I can restore my van. Thanks