MST3K - Why didn't it catch on in Britain?

I'm from the States but have lived in Sheffield for nearly eight years. Mystery Science Theater 3000 was a huge cult show in the States. Basically, the concept is that some characters watch terrible films and you see their silhouettes and they make snarky commentary during the whole movie and it's hilarious. They normally choose cheesy or weird or super low budget sci-fi and horror films. But no one seems to know it here. Why didn't it catch on? It seems to me to fit in with the British approach to humour--it's not too slapstick or loud. Thoughts?

I don't think it was ever shown over here, tbh its a pretty hard sell, "we'll show terrible old movies and take the p out of them". Shame really as it is an excellent show. My favorite episodes are The Pumaman, The Screaming Skull and The Brain that wouldn't die.

There's a Youtube channel called Funhaus who are big fans and they do a similar thing with video games, well worth checking out.

Just wanted to let you knw there are a couple of ways to watch mst3k.

One is via an ios app called Ustream.

The other is via the their website:

deep13.us/synth.

And of course many of the full episodes are on you tube.

check out their movie in which they riff on the movie this island earth !

yes you are right the humour has many similarities to the english type.

Joel and later host Mike were no doubt exposed to the many "brit-coms" that were shown on US Public TV.

Additionally, being aware of many aspects of british humor allows one to get many of their quips.

I watch mst3k most days. favorite episodes include; invasion of the neptune men, prince of space (krankor!) and the various Gamera episodes.

(Yes---Born and live in the USA)

I'm from the States but have lived in Sheffield for nearly eight years. Mystery Science Theater 3000 was a huge cult show in the States. Basically, the concept is that some characters watch terrible films and you see their silhouettes and they make snarky commentary during the whole movie and it's hilarious. They normally choose cheesy or weird or super low budget sci-fi and horror films. But no one seems to know it here. Why didn't it catch on? It seems to me to fit in with the British approach to humour--it's not too slapstick or loud. Thoughts?

Just found out: NEW EPISODES of MST3K are being made and are due to appear on netflix "in late 2016 or early 2017"