Lid for outside water tap chamber

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement lid for our outside water tap chamber? Its been missing since we moved in about 3 years ago and the chamber itself is getting full of all kinds of rubbish.

I was going to post a picture but I'm not sure how. Its basically the chamber set in the path outside the house that houses the tap to turn off water to the property. It missed the lid, which is really just a 10 or 12 cm square piece of metal.

Thanks very much.

If it's on the public highway, you would be best contacting Yorkshire water.

Thanks, Akita. Unfortunately it's about a foot and half without the boundary of our property. I'd wondered if it was still the council or water board's responsibility. If anyone's "in the know" and can confirm whether that's the case I'd be grateful.

Water board are not responsable if it is not on the public highway. Council property the council is responsable, private owned property the owner is responsable

Edited by therascal

Have the neighbours got similar arrangements for stop cocking their water? If so ask if you can go round and have a look which make of cover it is, take a photo and email the company.

All the mains stop valve cover plates that I have seen appear to be hinged on to the metal frame surround. Wouldn’t you have to replace the full frame surround as opposed to just the lid?

You could always cut a 1 inch thick piece of wood to the same internal size of the chamber, and make it a snug fit so that it stays in place. That will stop debris from entering.