Dogs and fox ..erm..

What is it with dogs and fox ****?!

Throwing a ball for my dog a few days ago, he suddenly veered off course, found 'something interesting', and before I could do anything, over he went....shoulders rubbed in, legs akimbo...oh yes! This was good!

Managed to drag him away eventually, all wide and bright eyed, tongue hanging out - he was on cloud nine!

Still reeks of it today, even after being attacked with so-called grooming wipes and Bob Martin's 'Rinse Free Shampoo'....nothing seems to shift it.

Even his leather collar hammers : even his lead now, since being reattached to him....but what's the attraction?!

I just hope it's not going to be another warm day....!

What is it with dogs and fox ****?!

Throwing a ball for my dog a few days ago, he suddenly veered off course, found 'something interesting', and before I could do anything, over he went....shoulders rubbed in, legs akimbo...oh yes! This was good!

Managed to drag him away eventually, all wide and bright eyed, tongue hanging out - he was on cloud nine!

Still reeks of it today, even after being attacked with so-called grooming wipes and Bob Martin's 'Rinse Free Shampoo'....nothing seems to shift it.

Even his leather collar hammers : even his lead now, since being reattached to him....but what's the attraction?!

I just hope it's not going to be another warm day....!

Mine used to do it all the time every walk drove me mad but she seems to have grown out of it a bit, don't get me wrong she still does it. the worst had to be when she rolled in a big fat sloppy pile of horse poo and I had to put her in the car like that urgh I swear there were flies buzzing round her!:hihi:

Gross :gag:

My JRT does it, he also LOVES to roll in bird poo! I had a little look on wiki and it says this is something they've always done and it's something to do with catching prey but someone else once told me it's because dogs dont like to smell of shampoo/perfume so they roll in mud/poo etc because they prefer the smell..

Either way GROSS :hihi:

If your dog doens't like being bathed (many don't) then make sure you give them a long bath/shower as soon as you get home.

They'll soon associate rolling in poo with a session in the shower and think twice.

If your dog doens't like being bathed (many don't) then make sure you give them a long bath/shower as soon as you get home.

They'll soon associate rolling in poo with a session in the shower and think twice.

To be honest, getting close to him at present is the last thing I want to do!

He's very, very ripe....

---------- Post added 08-09-2016 at 13:08 ----------

Mine used to do it all the time every walk drove me mad but she seems to have grown out of it a bit, don't get me wrong she still does it. the worst had to be when she rolled in a big fat sloppy pile of horse poo and I had to put her in the car like that urgh I swear there were flies buzzing round her!:hihi:

Lovely!

An old dog of ours found a crusty cowpat and treated us to that heady aroma for a few days - we'd rented a caravan on the east coast for the week, and although the weather wasn't too good, we did try and spend as much time out of it as we could!

Its just foul isn't it? and they really really love it, I have seen special fox poo shampoo online and at my local pet shop, some say to wipe off what you can then rub in ketchup (no not kidding) allow to soak for a few mins then wash and shampoo as usual, apparently it stops the lingering pong...not tried it myself but lots say its good.

Its just foul isn't it? and they really really love it, I have seen special fox poo shampoo online and at my local pet shop, some say to wipe off what you can then rub in ketchup (no not kidding) allow to soak for a few mins then wash and shampoo as usual, apparently it stops the lingering pong...not tried it myself but lots say its good.

Really?!

Ketchup?

Worth a try, I guess!

I'll nip to Aldi and buy the biggest - a bucket should do....

He's in the garden, drying off, as I write - deeply suspicious, presumably wondering what's next in line for him!

He's obviously very impressed with himself, and happy as a sand boy....

Chanel No.5, it ain't!

Thanks for the tip, by the way - I'll let you know!

Really?!

Ketchup?

Worth a try, I guess!

I'll nip to Aldi and buy the biggest - a bucket should do....

He's in the garden, drying off, as I write - deeply suspicious, presumably wondering what's next in line for him!

He's obviously very impressed with himself, and happy as a sand boy....

Chanel No.5, it ain't!

Thanks for the tip, by the way - I'll let you know!

I hope that it worked :D

I asked the vet about why dogs like rolling in fox poo . She said it's like channel No 5 for dogs . To them it's the best smell ever. In the dogs eyes it makes them super attractive

i've heard the thing about ketchup being good too.

the other week my dog rolled in some horse poo whilst out on a walk. i didn't realise at first he had some "on" him and put him back in the car. the car now reeks! so far i've used upholstery cleaner and febreeze to get rid of the stench!

this isn't quite what i had in mind when i thought about getting a dog!

..........that is bad enough, what do you about a dog who eats poo? Not her own sadly as it would save me clearing the garden!!! Never had a dog who does this before.

..........that is bad enough, what do you about a dog who eats poo? Not her own sadly as it would save me clearing the garden!!! Never had a dog who does this before.

Ewww :gag: dogs are so lovely sometimes.

I think with anything like that avoidance is best, I have a feeling that once they get a taste for it they will always tend to seek it out and lets face it there is plenty out there :( you can train them to leave it but thats only when you see it sadly...a muzzle is last resort I reckon .