Tories to bring back Grammar schools

Are they? On what do you base this?

By talking to people ? I can be old-fashioned like that :)

By talking to people ? I can be old-fashioned like that :)

I find that anecdotal evidence is generally unreliable. :D

The people who espouse grammar school generally are the ones who assume their kids will pass the entrance exam.

If they make a comeback, I think we'll see some shocked and disappointed grammar school champions around :hihi:

i think you will find that there will be a higher percentage of people that aspire to Grammer schools that will pass the exam:roll:

Are they? On what do you base this?

I have seen a survey that said only 2% of the UK population consider themselves below average intelligence.

You ll notice of course that pretty much everyone in the shadow cabinet went to a grammar school, I'd take a wild guess that most of the top mp's, civil servants and pretty much everyone else in the'establishment' either send their children to private schools or moved to areas that give access to the top state schools or pretend to be religious for faith schools. Obviously only the children of little, ordinary, poor people aren't entitled to the best chance of making the most of their potential.

I have seen a survey that said only 2% of the UK population consider themselves below average intelligence.

:suspect:

... so the other 97% of us must obviously regard ourselves above average intelligence? :huh:

You ll notice of course that pretty much everyone in the shadow cabinet went to a grammar school, I'd take a wild guess that most of the top mp's, civil servants and pretty much everyone else in the'establishment' either send their children to private schools or moved to areas that give access to the top state schools or pretend to be religious for faith schools. Obviously only the children of little, ordinary, poor people aren't entitled to the best chance of making the most of their potential.

I wonder if Diane Abbott will dare to make any comment on these proposals?

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't/weren't grammar schools free? You just need to be clever enough? The fact a lot of the shadow cabinet went to grammar schools just shows they were academically bright. Which is a good thing, no?

---------- Post added 08-09-2016 at 17:18 ----------

:suspect:

... so the other 97% of us must obviously regard ourselves above average intelligence? :huh:

Not quite.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/05/only-2-say-they-are-below-average-intelligence/

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't/weren't grammar schools free? You just need to be clever enough? The fact a lot of the shadow cabinet went to grammar schools just shows they were academically bright. Which is a good thing, no?

---------- Post added 08-09-2016 at 17:18 ----------

Not quite.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/05/only-2-say-they-are-below-average-intelligence/

:hihi:

What a load of tosh that appears to be!

The 7% who don't know would seem, on the face of it, to obviously be the thickest.

But in reality they are obviously the brightest, as without any empirical information to go on, how could they possibly think otherwise? :huh:

That's the thing.. selection already happens. Rich people can afford to buy houses in the catchment areas for the best schools, and so they are effectively paying for a better quality of education.

There is some selection; when they get to A levels there is selection; but all selection would not be good.

Imagine if we had grammar schools at age 7.

better schools are made that way usually because the quality of the area and pupils that live in that area

Not necessarily the case for grammar schools as they have a higher bar to climb before entering. Take QE grammar in Gainsborough; it's an excellent school but I know from first hand experience that it's a forgotten entity behind the walls, surrounded by grotty terraces and junkies kipping on sofas in the street. Few if any of it's pupils are from Gainsborough itself, they come in from miles away.

There is some selection; when they get to A levels there is selection; but all selection would not be good.

Imagine if we had grammar schools at age 7.

There is not enough selection tho when it comes to A levels - it is so easy to get A's (or now A*) at A level it does little to differentiate between pupils in the top 25%.