Tories to bring back Grammar schools

Well, at first, it looked like the Tories would try to bring back Grammar schools by the back door. But now, they`ve abandoned that, they`re doing it through the front door, loud and proud !

Let`s bear a few things in mind :

They have no mandate for this. It wasn`t put forward in their last election manifesto.

Saying Grammar schools are popular is "Motherhood and apple pie". Most people will say they like Grammar schools, but if asked whether they like Secondary Moderns they`ll give you a very different answer. And you can`t have one without the other.

Who can honestly say it`s right for a child`s whole life path to be set out by an exam they take at the age of eleven ?

The big problem with all this is that if the Tories really want to bring in Grammar schools they can. They may not have a mandate now, but all they have to do is call a General Election and, bearing in mind the unelectable state of the Labour party, they will win it with a comfortable majority. The Government effectively has no opposition at the moment, and that`s not a healthy place for democracy to be.

I`m worried...... And I should be, plus, is everyone forgetting about the extra traffic ? ! ?

Edited by Justin Smith

The secretary of state for education who holds the record for closing down the most grammar schools: Thatcher in her days before PM.

Tells you all you need to know about how far off track the Tories are with this.

Tells you all you need to know about how far off track the Tories are with this.

The Tories were NOT elected on creating more Grammar schools.

The Tories were NOT elected on creating more Grammar schools.

But they would be. The majority of the country want the return of grammar schools.

'Didn't have a mandate' blah blah blah

Wether you agree with grammar schools or not (personally, I think it's a step backwards) moaning that they have no mandate is petty. People didn't vote Labour in the last election on the basis they were going to nationalise the country and return us to the 1970s, yet these are the policies they are now putting on the table.

If they'd said 'no more grammar' schools then you would have a point. They didn't.

But they would be. The majority of the country want the return of grammar schools.

I dont believe that. I believe the evidence is that selection in the form of grammar schools is not good for the country has a whole.

Scotland has better schools than England, what the "majority of the country" want is what the media tell them is the best.

Edited by El Cid

I dont believe that. I believe the evidence is that selection in the form of grammar schools is not not for the country has a whole.

Scotland has better schools than England, what the "majority of the country" want is what the media tell them is the best.

I am going by the polls. Not infallible as we know, but the best way we have of judging the general opinion of the country.

A You Gov poll in Feb 2015 indicated that 53% of people wanted more grammar schools to be opened, against 20% who did not.

"Back in February YouGov asked a question to two different samples. Half were asked if they’d like to bring back grammar schools across the whole of Great Britain – 53% said yes, 20% said no. The other half were asked if they’d like to bring back the system of an exam at 11, with 25% of children who passed going to grammar schools and the other 75% going to secondary moderns. Now 46% of people supported it, 34% of people were opposed.

I am going by the polls. Not infallible as we know, but the best way we have of judging the general opinion of the country.

A You Gov poll in Feb 2015 indicated that 53% of people wanted more grammar schools to be opened, against 20% who did not.

In which case the public need to be informed; apart from it work in my day, when I was a lad; is there any data showing selection as providing better education ;)

Considering the lengths (and lies) people go through to get their kids into a good school, I find it hard to believe it isn't more popular.

Hundreds of parents caught lying about where they live to get their child into a better school

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-09-06/scale-of-false-addresses-on-applications-as-london-parents-try-to-beat-school-catchment-area-system-revealed/

Quarter of families buy or rent new home to secure school place

Survey says London parents are among those most likely to move and will pay extra £70,000 for well-situated property

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/sep/07/quarter-families-buy-rent-new-home-secure-school-place

Parents are crying out for new grammar schools, so why should hypocritical Lefties deny them?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/08/parents-are-crying-out-for-new-grammar-schools-so-why-should-hyp/

Edited by alchresearch

Considering the lengths (and lies) people go through to get their kids into a good school, I find it hard to believe it isn't more popular.

The grammar school system was very unpopular in its heyday, which was why both parties were happy to see it changed.

Nothing wrong with schools that allow those with talent to progress.

Nothing wrong with schools that allow those with talent to progress.

Isnt that what we have now?